Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H C-G03 Pro - Not Ready for Commercial Grade Res or is it just me?

Reaction score
I'm very disappointed with the resolution quality of my system. My intent is to eventually obtain my commercial license and shoot images for my real estate practice. The resolution of the images straight from the system is awful.

By comparison an image from my Canon digital camera:
Image size:Width - 48.0 inches /32.0 inches - 72DPI - Size 22.8MB

The Typhoon H: C-G03-Pro (CGO3P-420E5F) images are:

Image size: Width 17.8 inches by 10.0 inches - 72DPI - Size: 2.64MB

By file size comparison, the Typhoon images are a 10th of the size of my camera. How can I obtain commercial grade quality. I've uploaded a sample image.

Thank-you and Happy Independence Day!

Attachments

• TyphoonH_C-GO-3Plus Example.jpg
    TyphoonH_C-GO-3Plus Example.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 22
Did you resize the photo example above or is that from the ST16 Controller? If you want the most out of CG03, make sure you set the Picture type to DNG+JPG in the photo setting and set your video resolution to 4K. You'll need to remove the card from the camera to access the full pics. Here is a sample of a JPG at max resolution right out of the Camera, its just under for 5MB - but the DNG version is about 23MB

Pat

JPG

Attachments

• YUN00010.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 22
Lee, Just for comparison I opened the above picture in Corel to check the size and the full JPG comes too 55.5 x 41.6 Inches. (NOTE; I had the pic at about 20% actual size when I opened the re-sample command to check size)

Size.jpg

OK, it sounds like you need to understand the differences that lie behind those numbers. If you want to provide professional services, it'll help to be comfortable with the terminology.

Firstly, print size means nothing much - the raw figures to use to compare cameras are the pixel resolution.

As an example, the Canon 1D X is a 20 megapixel (millions of pixels) camera. A pixel is a single dot that makes up the image, and the 1D takes pictures that are 5472 pixels across by 3648 pixels down. 5472 x 3648 is 19,961,856 pixels, or about 20 million - hence 20 megapixels.

When you print (or view on screen), you have to decide how big you want each pixel to be drawn. The DPI (dots per inch) figure is how that's configured. A higher number means we're packing more detail in - so an iPad screen might be 260 DPI (even when you're close you can barely see the individual dots) but a street hoarding might be printed at just 25 DPI (stand close and you can see the blobs that make up the picture). So if you know that your camera takes an image that's 5000 pixels across, and you print at 25 DPI, the image will come out at (5000 / 25 =) 200 inches. 72 DPI is typical for a glossy magazine.

The point here is that the same image, with the same number of pixels, will come out at different sizes when you adjust the DPI - all it is is a print setting that says how big each dot has to be on the paper. The size of the dots will decide how good it looks when you stand close to it - and obviously, you stand further away from a billboard or street sign than a magazine print so you don't always use the same DPI.

The second thing you need to know is how images are stored. If we stored each dot of a 20 megapixel image separately, we'd end up with an enormous file - about 60 megabytes. Luckily we can skip a bit of that information (because neighbouring pixels are often the same color) and that can get the image down to 20 megabytes or so without changing a single dot. That's referred to as a 'RAW' or 'Uncompressed', or 'DNG' file (Cannon calls them .CR2 files - Canon Raw 2). 20 megabytes is still pretty big though, so you can also store a compressed version. Compressed images basically throw away a bit of the detail, using some mind-bending maths to guess what colour the pixels should be. A JPEG or JPG image is compressed that way and the same 20 megapixel image can then take up just 5 megabytes on disk, or even less. Compressed files can often be nearly indistinguishable from Raw files, but as you're loosing a little bit of information, they're not the preferred format for people who want to edit the image, or print it in high quality media.

The thing to realise here is that file size is not a particularly good indication of image quality. I can have a 10 megapixel image that is a 10 Megabyte raw file, or a 20 megapixel image (twice the detail) that's a 5 megabyte JPEG.

If you've got this far, you're a stronger man than me.

Right, so given all that - the CGO3+ has a 12 Megapixel sensor - 4000 x 3000 pixels. At 72 DPI that should print out as 55 inches by 41 Inches. If the numbers you're getting are smaller than that, then you need to check that you are looking at the right files (on the SD card in the camera, not the files stored on the ST-16), and that you have the settings right (make sure you're in photo mode, not video). Your photo editing software should be able to tell you the pixel size of the image you are editing (not the print size) to confirm you have everything set up correctly.

Did you resize the photo example above or is that from the ST16 Controller? If you want the most out of CG03, make sure you set the Picture type to DNG+JPG in the photo setting and set your video resolution to 4K. You'll need to remove the card from the camera to access the full pics. Here is a sample of a JPG at max resolution right out of the Camera, its just under for 5MB - but the DNG version is about 23MB

Pat

JPG
Hi JPG - Thanks. Yes, I did resize the image- I cut it so you couldn't see the missing siding on my house. You've given me a some great pointers. Will try these. Thanks again. I'm really looking forward to seeing huge results!

OK, it sounds like you need to understand the differences that lie behind those numbers. If you want to provide professional services, it'll help to be comfortable with the terminology.

Firstly, print size means nothing much - the raw figures to use to compare cameras are the pixel resolution.

As an example, the Canon 1D X is a 20 megapixel (millions of pixels) camera. A pixel is a single dot that makes up the image, and the 1D takes pictures that are 5472 pixels across by 3648 pixels down. 5472 x 3648 is 19,961,856 pixels, or about 20 million - hence 20 megapixels.

When you print (or view on screen), you have to decide how big you want each pixel to be drawn. The DPI (dots per inch) figure is how that's configured. A higher number means we're packing more detail in - so an iPad screen might be 260 DPI (even when you're close you can barely see the individual dots) but a street hoarding might be printed at just 25 DPI (stand close and you can see the blobs that make up the picture). So if you know that your camera takes an image that's 5000 pixels across, and you print at 25 DPI, the image will come out at (5000 / 25 =) 200 inches. 72 DPI is typical for a glossy magazine.

The point here is that the same image, with the same number of pixels, will come out at different sizes when you adjust the DPI - all it is is a print setting that says how big each dot has to be on the paper. The size of the dots will decide how good it looks when you stand close to it - and obviously, you stand further away from a billboard or street sign than a magazine print so you don't always use the same DPI.

The second thing you need to know is how images are stored. If we stored each dot of a 20 megapixel image separately, we'd end up with an enormous file - about 60 megabytes. Luckily we can skip a bit of that information (because neighbouring pixels are often the same color) and that can get the image down to 20 megabytes or so without changing a single dot. That's referred to as a 'RAW' or 'Uncompressed', or 'DNG' file (Cannon calls them .CR2 files - Canon Raw 2). 20 megabytes is still pretty big though, so you can also store a compressed version. Compressed images basically throw away a bit of the detail, using some mind-bending maths to guess what colour the pixels should be. A JPEG or JPG image is compressed that way and the same 20 megapixel image can then take up just 5 megabytes on disk, or even less. Compressed files can often be nearly indistinguishable from Raw files, but as you're loosing a little bit of information, they're not the preferred format for people who want to edit the image, or print it in high quality media.

The thing to realise here is that file size is not a particularly good indication of image quality. I can have a 10 megapixel image that is a 10 Megabyte raw file, or a 20 megapixel image (twice the detail) that's a 5 megabyte JPEG.

Right, so given all that - the CGO3+ has a 12 Megapixel sensor - 4000 x 3000 pixels. At 72 DPI that should print out as 55 inches by 41 Inches. If the numbers you're getting are smaller than that, then you need to check that you are looking at the right files (on the SD card in the camera, not the files stored on the ST-16), and that you have the settings right (make sure you're in photo mode, not video). Your photo editing software should be able to tell you the pixel size of the image you are editing (not the print size) to confirm you have everything set up correctly.

Hello - And Thank-you for the tutorial. I purposefully used the data from Corel Photo Paint - which could show the more technical data. My point was to illustrate the differences in a language that any one would understand. Again, Thanks. I'll put all of this to use - and I appreciate the response.

Lee

Hi , I have the same camera and you must shoot like this: open the remote control after open the drone, on the remote control screen you select dng (raw) format and put the selection on camera not on video (very important) after you are able so shoot high resolution images like i did prints easy 12x18 inch.

Wow very helpful. Thank you very much

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrichesin