Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H camera

Reaction score
Does switch in the controller to JPEG for the camera diminish the quality of the photo

Since the JPGs are a compressed file format, yes the DNGs will always give you the highest resolution. You also must
have your video setting at 4K to get the full 12 MP resolution in photo mode. When you switch to photo mode the image
will look stretched, if you are in full 12MP resolution. This is because the 12MP photos are formatted at a 4:3 aspect ratio,
but you are still previewing it on the 16:9 aspect ratio presented by the ST-16.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Does switch in the controller to JPEG for the camera diminish the quality of the photo
JPGs are handy compressed files good for emailing and posting onto social media platforms and forums such as this. The quality of JPGs used on such platforms are good enough. However, the images aren't the best you can have since the compression is bound to effect the quality...the best quality is obtained through non-compressed files such as that in RAW (DNG). Eagle's Eye is correct (above) where he says that it is best to shoot your pictures while your camera is in 4K mode: Still image quality is directly related to whether the camera is in 4K or not.

For me, unless I'm doing a commercial shoot for a client, to get stills I just take video and then run it through the VLC Media Player to snatch all the stills I want from it. The benefit of this is that I have, potentially, thousands of stills that I can produce from the video. The down side is that the quality of those pictures, while pretty good, isn't the best that the camera can produce.

You may also want to look at GOM Player if VLC is an issue. VLC sometimes does not like large files. I use both

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430