Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H flying sideways and not stick response

Reaction score
Okay... I picked up a used Typhoon (LIKE BRAND NEW) used... and did a paint job on it...
Put it all back together.
Updated all the firmware and everything checked out great...
Deleted the flight history in the apps as well.
Bind went good with the drone and the camera...

Went out and did a calibration on camera, alt, and the comp.

Started it up and lift off about 2 feet.... Then suddenly the drone flew sideways
and would not respond to the st-16... flew about 40 feet at 2ft off the ground flipped upside down when I did get it to go back down... and didn't hurt it except breaking 3 props...
So I ordered a new gps mod...
whats next?... This has happened 3 times now with this thing...
I do not know what else I can do now...

Questions.....Were you in Smart or Angle mode?
When you first turned on the H, did you let it sit for about 15 minutes to allow the GPS to update?
Angle, and I did have full GPS confirmed before it flew... I pretty much did a full system over haul (software) with the newest f/w...

I have like 5 of the (H) and 2 Q500 4k's... and never have had any problems with any of them except this Like new (H)... I'm thinking the guy on ebay sold it cause it might have had a bad GPS compass....??

I see you wrote "GPS confirmed" Are you saying you let the H sit for 15, or are you saying you saw sats on the ST16?
No...GPS was fully active (green) and had 14 sats.... It was on doing the calibrations for about 15 and it all checked out great... I did the same paint and updates to
another H and it took to the air just fine... Not this other *used* drone...

Good angle purple and white blinking lights and everything...
Also... I did upgrade the antenna's on these two models I'm talking about and one fly's good
and the other just drifts away with no response from the st-16...

No...GPS was fully active (green) and had 14 sats.... It was on doing the calibrations for about 15 and it all checked out great... I did the same paint and updates to
another H and it took to the air just fine... Not this other *used* drone...
It seems to me that there was another post about a similar issue on here not too long ago, within a few weeks. Have you used the search tool yet with a few key words to see what comes up? That is what I am about to do as well.

It seems to me that there was another post about a similar issue on here not too long ago, within a few weeks. Have you used the search tool yet with a few key words to see what comes up? That is what I am about to do as well.
I looked over the entire post's and some had close issues but not like the one I am having... I did see one about sitting it out for 15... but seriously I think the GPS-Comp is toast... I've been looking..
I'm now just ordering all the replacement parts... everything in the H and will have all new parts for this one and future needs as they arise...

I work in Hollywood and fly all kinds of U.A.S. drones so I'm a little bit schooled on most of everything... I Just thought you guys might have some Ideas.. Next stop will be YUNEEC in socal...

I looked over the entire post's and some had close issues but not like the one I am having... I did see one about sitting it out for 15... but seriously I think the GPS-Comp is toast... I've been looking..
I'm now just ordering all the replacement parts... everything in the H and will have all new parts for this one and future needs as they arise...
I just finished looking through the posts as well and didn't see anything. I think you may be right. It is seeing sats though so it is strange. You did say you have another H there, have you tried swapping out the GPS to see?

I just finished looking through the posts as well and didn't see anything. I think you may be right. It is seeing sats though so it is strange. You did say you have another H there, have you tried swapping out the GPS to see?
I'm just ordering new gps/comp... and will rebuild the UAS if I have to. I don't want to risk any more of these kinds of flights... Next time it might get someone hurt.
Thanks!!

Not sure it Telm will give me more than what I saw it already do... I have a ways to go in troubleshooting it and will
have to bind a good ground station to it after I replace the gps mod... I'll also replace the ant. mod just in case I fried it
shrinking the wrap after upgrading the UAS ant's. Thanks for the help guys!

Have you tried one of the other st16s?

I had an H that did exactly the same as yours - a new GPS unit solved the problem.
The replacement GPS/Comp was installed last night and we did a full system/fw/geofence/range/cam/H/ST16 software update. Used an electronic
level and set the telem to (0) and re-cal'ed the camera. Now for the Comp-Calc and we shall see...

I'll post video of the results tonight.
We have solid lights in both smart and angle mode with the white affirmation light now so its easy does it...

TYPHOON-FLYER

Reactions: Murray Martz
The replacement GPS/Comp was installed last night and we did a full system/fw/geofence/range/cam/H/ST16 software update. Used an electronic
level and set the telem to (0) and re-cal'ed the camera. Now for the Comp-Calc and we shall see...

We have solid lights in both smart and angle mode with the white affirmation light now so its easy does it...

TYPHOON-FLYER
Here's rooting for you!

Reactions: TYPHOON-FLYER
Did you purchase just a replacement RTB aircraft or the whole RTF set? If you also got a new/used ground station, did you also check the st16 output?

Greetings

OK, the easy way to check electronic components for failure is to put the drone into the GUI software - the GUI software checks the integrity of all the drone components. If there is a failure with the GPS component it will show up here.

TYPHOON-FLYER
OK, that was Sunday. What happened?

I i have a strong interest in this thread because My H is also doing similar erratic behavior. I wanted to sell it locally in a consignment shop, and aware that "some kid" might get it I wanted to make a tut video to show how to do things. I have not flown this bird in many months. Before, it flew fine. Never had serious issues with it, and never, I mean NEVER let it sit for what .. 15 minutes? Who lets a drone sit on the hard for 15 minutes before flying? But I guess such is worth a try ... is that a "fix" for only one time to help it get its head after not flying for months?

Anyway, I fired it up, connected, 14 satellites or so, and launched in angle mode. Hovered about 3' off the ground and then applied right stick forward. It went sideways to the right. I changed modes and followed it, but it kept slowly heading for the trees so finally I had to chase and grab it. This is all in my back area, where I test/fly my drones.

Seems the sticks were sluggish, too.

Several other flights after full calibration, etc. Got one flight to go proper, and I was feeling good about it, but then I went to do it again and it went all squirrelly on me.

Hardware monitor shows sticks all correct.

I certainly can't sell this locally or to anyone not experienced ... I'd like to sort it out and understand what the condition is/was caused by before I offer it for sale again on ebay.

If my thinking/guess is somewhat correct, perhaps it is confused because of some change in sats?

My rig was ok before FW update,now every couple of flights it has compass issues ever when getting ready to land. I’ve tried everything so far and it still acts strange around the end of a battery. I have another bird so I guess I could try changing the compass out. I wonder just how many of us there are having the same issue. Oh and once it show a battery as ready to come home right after take off...checked battery and it was 16.2.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval