Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H GPS lock?

Reaction score
Hello everyone can i ask...i can't get GPS lock on my typhoon H..i try to calibrate compass on open field ...i get gps but when i try to calibrate gps signal lose...do i need to change GPS module

Hello everyone can i ask...i can't get GPS lock on my typhoon H..i try to calibrate compass on open field ...i get gps but when i try to calibrate gps signal lose...do i need to change GPS module
There is no GPS lock on the H, just acquired. Give as much information as you can. Photos of controller screen, lights on the copter etc.

When you calibrate the compass the GPS will be lost. That is normal operation.
After you restart the H does the GPS work again?

Reactions: 7cyclops
Hi folks,

I did not see whether this issue was solved or not. I'm experiencing the same (or similar) problem with my TH that has never been flown. I bought it a couple of years ago, but due to personal limitations and a move to a new town, I just never got the chance to try to fly it until now. I have made sure that I'm on the most recent versions of firmware. I performed all of the calibrations (compass, gimbal, accelerometer) as prescribed in the manual. So, this afternoon, I finally tried to fly for the first time, but the UAV never acquired GPS despite showing that it had 18 (sometimes 19) satellites. The ST-16 had 15. The LED on the back of the UAV was flashing three quick purples, which I understand just means that I'm set to fly in Angle mode but I have not acquired GPS. So, because of this lack of acquisition, I couldn't start up the rotors and actually fly. I should add that I let it sit there for 20 to 30 minutes, hoping it would acquire. (I thought maybe it was still download ephemeris data from the GPS constellation or something like that.)

I'm almost afraid to ask, but is this possibly because of a faulty GPS component? The only other possible explanation I can fathom is that I was under mostly cloudy skies at the time, but since it was showing it had 18 satellites, the weather doesn't seem to be a factor.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks,
Dave

• Sad
Reactions: Steve Carr
Hi folks,

I did not see whether this issue was solved or not. I'm experiencing the same (or similar) problem with my TH that has never been flown. I bought it a couple of years ago, but due to personal limitations and a move to a new town, I just never got the chance to try to fly it until now. I have made sure that I'm on the most recent versions of firmware. I performed all of the calibrations (compass, gimbal, accelerometer) as prescribed in the manual. So, this afternoon, I finally tried to fly for the first time, but the UAV never acquired GPS despite showing that it had 18 (sometimes 19) satellites. The ST-16 had 15. The LED on the back of the UAV was flashing three quick purples, which I understand just means that I'm set to fly in Angle mode but I have not acquired GPS. So, because of this lack of acquisition, I couldn't start up the rotors and actually fly. I should add that I let it sit there for 20 to 30 minutes, hoping it would acquire. (I thought maybe it was still download ephemeris data from the GPS constellation or something like that.)

I'm almost afraid to ask, but is this possibly because of a faulty GPS component? The only other possible explanation I can fathom is that I was under mostly cloudy skies at the time, but since it was showing it had 18 satellites, the weather doesn't seem to be a factor.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks,
Dave
This is a typical symptom when the aircraft has sat dormant for months on end. Two things can cause this: 1 - the backup battery on the GPS/Compass board is completely drained. 2 - the Flight Control board is bad (IMU is defective).

The first condition can be cured by allowing the aircraft to sit powered up for a couple of hours to bring the charge on the backup battery to an acceptable level (or get a replacement).

The second condition requires replacing the F/C board (there is no known fix for the bad IMU). You can check for the second condition using the information in this post
Post in thread 'GPS acquiring'
GPS acquiring

Reactions: Steve Carr
This is a typical symptom when the aircraft has sat dormant for months on end. Two things can cause this: 1 - the backup battery on the GPS/Compass board is completely drained. 2 - the Flight Control board is bad (IMU is defective).

The first condition can be cured by allowing the aircraft to sit powered up for a couple of hours to bring the charge on the backup battery to an acceptable level (or get a replacement).

The second condition requires replacing the F/C board (there is no known fix for the bad IMU). You can check for the second condition using the information in this post
Post in thread 'GPS acquiring'
GPS acquiring
Thanks for the quick reply. I had seen another post recommending letting the uav sit powered on to hopefully recharge the gps battery. I have it doing that right now. Hopefully this doesn't turn into a fiasco.

For diagnosis check the following symptoms:
- Altitude on ST16 remains at at some meters below zero and never get initialized to zero at start position.
- Motors do not start even if GPS was switched off (this means pre-flight check already fails before GPS came in the game).
- Yaw display in GUI is rotation while drone stands still.

If you have this behaviour the flight controller board caused this problem (IMU calibration out of range).
More details here: http://h-elsner.mooo.com/pdf/GPS_acquiring_problem.pdf

br HE

For diagnosis check the following symptoms:
- Altitude on ST16 remains at at some meters below zero and never get initialized to zero at start position.
- Motors do not start even if GPS was switched off (this means pre-flight check already fails before GPS came in the game).
- Yaw display in GUI is rotation while drone stands still.

If you have this behaviour the flight controller board caused this problem (IMU calibration out of range).
More details here: http://h-elsner.mooo.com/pdf/GPS_acquiring_problem.pdf

br HE
I appreciate the diagnostic steps. That was very helpful. Thanks to all, in fact. It seems I have a defective IMU/FC. I let the drone sit overnight, turned on, hoping it would revive a dead GPS battery, but that didn't help. So, next step, I tried turning off the GPS. Still couldn't fire up the rotors. If I understand what I've read, this basically points to the flight control module as defective. So, it looks like I'll be ordering one and learning to perform surgery on my bird.

Again, thanks to all for your support!
Dave

I appreciate the diagnostic steps. That was very helpful. Thanks to all, in fact. It seems I have a defective IMU/FC. I let the drone sit overnight, turned on, hoping it would revive a dead GPS battery, but that didn't help. So, next step, I tried turning off the GPS. Still couldn't fire up the rotors. If I understand what I've read, this basically points to the flight control module as defective. So, it looks like I'll be ordering one and learning to perform surgery on my bird.

Again, thanks to all for your support!
Dave
It sounds like that is the case. The other thing to check is connecting to the GUI and observing the yaw of the aircraft. If the F/C IMU is defective the yaw will be constantly changing.

Reactions: WTFDproject
It sounds like that is the case. The other thing to check is connecting to the GUI and observing the yaw of the aircraft. If the F/C IMU is defective the yaw will be constantly changing.
Yep. Thanks for that suggestion. I had to set the GUI up on a laptop, but it confirmed that the yaw was constantly changing as you said it would. I've already ordered a new F/C module. Just have to learn how to perform the surgery next.
Thanks!
Dave

Use the following video to remove the top shell. You can leave the landing gear on to accomplish this task

You should be able to replace the F/C with the top shell removed. No need to remove the main board to accomplish the F/C remove and replace.

Videos courtesy of @Steve Carr

Use the following video to remove the top shell. You can leave the landing gear on to accomplish this task

You should be able to replace the F/C with the top shell removed. No need to remove the main board to accomplish the F/C remove and replace.

Videos courtesy of @Steve Carr
Awesome! Thank you!

What else has to be done once FC is replaced ? Firmware update etc.??

Check firmware revision, then do accelerometer calibration, and compass calibration. If you have issues with the gimbal then do the gimbal calibration.

I wanted to return and make sure to thank everyone who gave me input on this problem. My new (refurbished, I think) flight controller arrived from YuneecSkins earlier this week. Brain surgery was a piece of cake once I found the right size hex driver. First official flight took place about 7pm EDT on June 16. I didn't push it. Just wanted to verify that everything was working. Anyway, thank you all again. The help is very much appreciated.

Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
simsone