Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H - Lack of "Aileron/roll" right stick control

Reaction score
Thought I sent this out a week ago but I don't find it or help replies here anywhere.
Both H systems are identical
ST16 system_v03.01.b30 app_v01.00.45
Aircraft:
Autopilot v1.35
Gimbal v1.25
Camera v3.2.343 A
REalSenseN/A
Been flying an H since they first came out. I had 2 for business purposes til my original H power dove into the ground during a pre client test flight. Now I'm having a problem with my backup H. Had been flying on assignment for about 4 hrs. with no problems at all when I lost almost all movement control with my right stick - mode 2 - and yes I checked all of my control settings including throttle. Everything was set normally and I was able to land without a problem. Since this is my first problem with this H I'm anxious to find a solution. I've done a complete re-calibration, including compass, read through the manual, read posts here and haven't found a solution yet. So here I am asking for help from my experts on line. I didn't know if it was a mechanical or software problem and still don't, but what I do know is that I swapped out my st16 and tried using my other one for the crashed H, and did a full re_calibration, binding etc it is a YES and it works perfectly.
This brings my thinking to the likelihood that it's probably a mechanical problem with the right stick and replacing it would solve my problem but I'd like some guidance here before I buy a replacement. I'd appreciate any/all input from my online flight crew before I proceed. Any thoughts will be appreciated.
I sure hope this goes out this time. Thanks in advance.

it's probably a mechanical problem with the right stick
Exactly right. Have you checked the sticks in Hardware Monitor? It is somewhat a common problem with the ST16 to get a sluggish stick with poor response. It's a simple matter to clean it.
Although this video is not in English, you can see the problem and the solution. But turn the power off before applying the cleaner.

Start watching about minute 2:30.

Reactions: Droneman
Exactly right. Have you checked the sticks in Hardware Monitor? It is somewhat a common problem with the ST16 to get a sluggish stick with poor response. It's a simple matter to clean it.
Although this video is not in English, you can see the problem and the solution. But turn the power off before applying the cleaner.

Start watching about minute 2:30.
Steve, wow, I can't believe how easy this will be to fix it. Can't thank you enough. You're the best. I'll give each stick a shot or 2 just to be sure I'm good to go. Have a great day. You've certainly made mine.

Steve, wow, I can't believe how easy this will be to fix it. Can't thank you enough. You're the best. I'll give each stick a shot or 2 just to be sure I'm good to go. Have a great day. You've certainly made mine.
Well Steve I got bad news after trying this video's air-in -the-can process. It didn't get any better and I tried it 3 times. I gave it several good shots of air and nothing. It's looking to me like I'm the 1 that has a bad J3/J4 stick, - unless you have any other tricks up your sleeve. I really thought this process and your advice was going to save the day for me. The only thing left I suppose is to replace the stick all together. Looking at the ST16 it looks to me like the 4 screws on top hold it in place and it's a matter of removing them and replacing the defective part. I'm good mechanically and have had the ST16 apart to replace a small fan blade that came off it's shaft in shipping from Yuneec when it was new. Replacing this stick should be a snap. Any advice is always appreciated. Thanks for your advice.

Well Steve I got bad news after trying this video's air-in -the-can process. It didn't get any better and I tried it 3 times. I gave it several good shots of air and nothing. It's looking to me like I'm the 1 that has a bad J3/J4 stick, - unless you have any other tricks up your sleeve. I really thought this process and your advice was going to save the day for me. The only thing left I suppose is to replace the stick all together. Looking at the ST16 it looks to me like the 4 screws on top hold it in place and it's a matter of removing them and replacing the defective part. I'm good mechanically and have had the ST16 apart to replace a small fan blade that came off it's shaft in shipping from Yuneec when it was new. Replacing this stick should be a snap. Any advice is always appreciated. Thanks for your advice.
You did use Electrical Contact Cleaner and not just air, right? You would be the very first person for whom this did not work, but it is possible the stick is bad. The stick is a $25 part and it's easy to replace.
Yuneec ST10, ST10+, ST16 Replacement Joystick

You did use Electrical Contact Cleaner and not just air, right? You would be the very first person for whom this did not work, but it is possible the stick is bad. The stick is a $25 part and it's easy to replace.
Yuneec ST10, ST10+, ST16 Replacement Joystick
OK Now you and the world knows I'm an idiot. Of course I used AIR. What an idiot. See what happens when you're 78 and trying to stay current. Not only that but I'vr gone 1 step further. I took out the 4 screws that I thought held the stick in place and you know what happened. Ther stick is now loose and I probably can't get it back in place without disassembling the ST16. Tell me what to do (not where to go) and I promise I'll do better. Idiot #1 out for tonight.

Steve, OK more news this time good. First I was able to get the 4 screws in and resecured my ST16 right stick. Secondly I purchased cleaner and sprayed my right stick and as you believed it would it did fix my stick control problem. I'm forever thankful to you and others who responded.
Another pilot responded and spoke to a secret menu for calibrating the H. I've asked him to enlighten me regarding the secret menu. I don't know about it and would like to. Thanks again for all of your help. Now I need to find someone that has just an H & camera for sale reasonable but in great condition.

Another pilot responded and spoke to a secret menu for calibrating the H
The secret menu is for calibrating the ST16, but honestly it's rarely needed. Many people are using it for the wrong reason. Fixing the problem with the sticks is the first step. And by the way, you are only slightly older than me so you're in good company.

The secret menu is for calibrating the ST16, but honestly it's rarely needed. Many people are using it for the wrong reason. Fixing the problem with the sticks is the first step. And by the way, you are only slightly older than me so you're in good company.
I'm not as old as you old farts but the calibration screen for the 16 was a great place for me to see what the problem was for my yaw issues. I know Steve that we discussed this in detail but for his sake I'm beating the dead horse. The calibration screen showed me that the stick was screwed up and doing the recalibration made everything puppies and unicorns!

I'm not as old as you old farts but the calibration screen for the 16 was a great place for me to see what the problem was for my yaw issues. I know Steve that we discussed this in detail but for his sake I'm beating the dead horse. The calibration screen showed me that the stick was screwed up and doing the recalibration made everything puppies and unicorns!
I think we're talking different terms here. The place to check the sticks, switches and sliders is with Hardware Monitor. The hidden calibration menu is intended for use only when there is a true calibration problem.

Thanks pal, I appreciate your help. Stick has been repaired and will be flight tested as soon as the wind dies down.

Reactions: Steve Carr
I think we're talking different terms here. The place to check the sticks, switches and sliders is with Hardware Monitor. The hidden calibration menu is intended for use only when there is a true calibration problem.
Got it and thank you very much Steve I appreciate all of you being out there so we old guys can keep them in the air. For the moment, all is well. "Compressed air - what a jerk I was"

understood but it did help in troubleshooting what was wrong with my st16 so I didn't have to tear it apart.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zeedentclinic