Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon "H" LOS

Reaction score
I have coloured the rear Yellow for greater directional LOS.
Sometimes when filming property close by it is not always easy to see which way the H is pointing specially as it tends to look round with 6 motors.
I have flight tested this approach and it works well.

Attachments

• P1020868.JPG
    P1020868.JPG
    311.4 KB · Views: 52
  • P1020874.JPG
    P1020874.JPG
    346.2 KB · Views: 42
Reactions: film drone
Sometimes when filming property close by it is not always easy to see which way the H is pointing specially as it tends to look round with 6 motors.

Great if you have an eagles eye. :) But I'm more curious about the extra mushroom down-pointing antenna . Is this connected to the tiny wire antenna? Telemetry or WiFi signal?
Do you see any signal improvements?

If that solution works for you then who can argue with that. Good job.

Different pilots have come up with their own, sometimes unique, solutions. One popular way is to fix strobe lights to the aircraft for example. However when a pilot becomes very experienced, being able to determine orientation becomes second nature and are able to establish orientation without those solutions.

Hi FlushVision, Good points. I have a Lume cube on the front and use it even on a bright clear day. I have many flight hours on the H but sometimes when
filming around object such as buildings with trees around and you have react quickly by turning knowing the rear from the side is a help.I think a Hex is different
in appearance in the sky. Cheers

What is the cheapest lume cube you can buy been looking at some and they are like asking crazy money

Hi FlushVision, Good points. I have a Lume cube on the front and use it even on a bright clear day. I have many flight hours on the H but sometimes when
filming around object such as buildings with trees around and you have react quickly by turning knowing the rear from the side is a help.I think a Hex is different
in appearance in the sky. Cheers
Yes. I've also found that it gets more difficult when you are flying against the backdrop of trees. It does sometimes get a little more difficult to determine clearances, ect. This picture is typical of the difficulty...
h480rotary.jpg

Another option that I have incorporated, courtesy of CraigCam, is painting the landing legs each a different color, to aid in visibility and AC orientation... with my newer batteries I have settled on day-glow orange for the rear cover.

Attachments

• modified_Typhoon-H_2.jpg
    modified_Typhoon-H_2.jpg
    695.4 KB · Views: 22
  • modified_Typhoon-H_3.jpg
    modified_Typhoon-H_3.jpg
    539.4 KB · Views: 20
Another option that I have incorporated, courtesy of CraigCam, is painting the landing legs each a different color, to aid in visibility and AC orientation... with my newer batteries I have settled on day-glow orange for the rear cover.

I’ve found using colored heat shrink tubing a good easy color addition to the gear legs. I’ve also painted most of my cameras bright colors and put two strobes on the back of the gimbal. One faces down mounted to underside of horizontal motor cover. The other one I Velcro or hot glue right onto the back motor cover. In theory, I can pan back to center and line it back up so when I switch out of pan mode, it doesn’t do a fast swing at the end of my clip or shot. It saves time in editing as fast pans always blur and look kind of bad in post. Two different colors on the legs facing down when retracted also helps keep your front oriented to you. The stock lighting is useless in daylight once you get any distance. Those Cree strobes rock for this and for sure increase your VLOS. I tell my spotter to never take their eyes of the strobes and it’s allowed for some good distance runs safely. Plus they helped me find my beloved original TH last year in the big battery disconnect crash.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atas77my