Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H Low Battery Message - After 10 Minutes

Reaction score
Interesting situation. I just got my Typhoon H controller back from having a broken OBS switch replaced. The form inside the box says the controller was reset. One would think I would have to rebind my controller to my H. Not so, it worked out of the box. Here's the issue, ever since I got the controller back, I get a low battery message after 10 minutes of flying. I have two new Yuneec batteries and one Ultrex battery. All them charged on the factory charger, all get the error message at about the same time. It wasn't an issue until I got the controller repaired. Is there some setting I am missing? 10 minutes of flight time per battery doesn't seem like much to me. Thanks in advance for the help

Bad factory charger? That seems to be the common element. You might try plugging in the GUI to see if the battery voltage / charge level reported by the GUI matches the ST16. Also, by error message are you referring to low voltage cutoff in the telemetry of the ST16? If so, I'm curious what the voltage is when it's being reported.

I was thinking bad factory charger too. Yes, the error message reported is coming from the ST16. I'll check the GUI before going through the painful process of trying to connect with support.

Have you actually measured the voltage of the batteries after the warning comes up? You'll need to establish that before going any further. Use a volt/amp meter

Have you actually measured the voltage of the batteries after the warning comes up? You'll need to establish that before going any further. Use a volt/amp meter
Thanks for the reply. I will do that and post what I come up with. Is the voltage reading I get from the controller accurate?

What does the ST-16 display for battery voltage at the START of your flight?
What does the ST-16 battery voltage read when you are landing?
If you are flying very aggressively the entire flight 10 minutes is not unreasonable I can push 18 minutes on mine, but I have to fly gently to get it.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
I agree usually battery warning at 14.3 unless I am really zooming around it shows >14.3 but only after I have let off the sticks some to look.
Actual flying time all depends on your flying style.
To really test your battery, take off and just let her hover 20-30 feet up and see what kind of flight time you get then.

10 minutes is a long time if you fly hard. I'm looking at only 8-9 minutes on just about every one of my batteries when I'm hitting them hard. If it's really cold outside that drops to 6 minutes or so. Sounds like things are probably working right with your batteries.

Flying against a breeze or hovering if its very windy will also eat into battery time.

My H starts complaining and throwing low battery warnings at 15.5v. This seems awful high, is there a way to adjust the alert level as in DJI craft?

No.

A little more back ground would be helpful but the alarm occurring at that level sounds like you're flying with the GPS turned off and hammering on it. When you pull lots of amps a battery can drop quickly when being throttled and do early dips to less than what you see on the screen.

Last edited:
My H starts complaining and throwing low battery warnings at 15.5v. This seems awful high, is there a way to adjust the alert level as in DJI craft?
How can it give low battery warning at 15.5v? Post a telemetry file. It will show up there.

No.

A little more back ground would be helpful but the alarm occurring at that level sounds like you're flying with the GPS turned off and hammering on it. When you pull lots of amps a battery can drop quickly when being throttled and do early dips to less than what you see on the screen.
This is a used system I purchased. Updated all firmware and everything looks good, normal flight mostly just hover and taking pano's. But the battery warning shows up very fast, less than 10 minutes at 15.5v.

The first low batt warning occurs between 14.4 and 14.3V. They don't happen at 15.5. The warning level is not user adjustable. A 10 minute flight on a battery is not uncommon or out of line, depending on how it's flown and the conditions it is encountering. 8-12 minutes is an average flight time spread you could anticipate but that time will vary due to circumstances with weather and flight style. Do not use time to determine how long a flight battery should remain adequate for safe flight, voltage is the qualifier.

The first low batt warning occurs between 14.4 and 14.3V. They don't happen at 15.5. The warning level is not user adjustable. A 10 minute flight on a battery is not uncommon or out of line, depending on how it's flown and the conditions it is encountering. 8-12 minutes is an average flight time spread you could anticipate but that time will vary due to circumstances with weather and flight style. Do not use time to determine how long a flight battery should remain adequate for safe flight, voltage is the qualifier.
Thanks for the info. I swear the warning said 15.5v but who knows. I'll take it out tomorrow and fly it until I get a warning and double check the voltage.

What would I look for in the telemetry file?

The battery could be a dud and may be having severe voltage drops that aren't refreshing fast enough to see on the ST16, but may in the telemetry files. Look under voltage and error_flags. I don't have the error codes handy.

What sort of warnings are you hearing/seeing? Does it happen with all batteries?

Fully charge your battery. Install it in the H. Press the power ON button. The very first light that comes on the tail should be:
Green= 100% charge
Amber= ~50% charge
Red= battery assumed room temperature, don't use

That's just for future reference.

If you have a meter, fly the H until you get the warnings, land and immediately check the battery voltage.

Reactions: Gerfnad

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmsmindspace