Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H Pro Backpack Airplane Overhead

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Typhoon H Pro (Realsense version) default backpack will fit in a overhead compartment in a plane?

I have flown with my TH in the backpack on two round-trip flights. The first was on a 737-900 and the second was on an embraer 175 (a smaller plane). It fit in the overhead bins with millimeters to spare :)

If confronted with a smaller bin, I'm prepared to take the foam out of the lid of the backpack to squeeze it in.

I have flown with my TH in the backpack on two round-trip flights. The first was on a 737-900 and the second was on an embraer 175 (a smaller plane). It fit in the overhead bins with millimeters to spare :)

If confronted with a smaller bin, I'm prepared to take the foam out of the lid of the backpack to squeeze it in.

No hassles when sent through security scan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I just took my H to Cancun. The case Worked fine on a 737 on my way there but did not work on the MD88 on my return trip. No problems with security.

I just took my H to Cancun. The case Worked fine on a 737 on my way there but did not work on the MD88 on my return trip. No problems with security.

What did you end up doing on your return trip?

Went from MCO to JFK and JFK to DUS with the Typhoon H, I got the Samsonite Large Wheeled Underseater that someone recommended (don't remember if it was here or somewhere else) ... it's not super protected but so easy to carry and fits super easily in the overhead compartment (even if they are smaller).

No problem with security/TSA.. they swiped it for explosives everytime and inspected everything and were quite curious about it (but in a open/positive way). :)
(in MCO the guy said "we have a drone" so I guess it happens more frequently now)

That was fortunate. If you would have removed the foam from the top, would it have fit? I'm looking for a reliable way to carry on the H in overhead storage for most planes from MD-80 on up.

Regarding whether removing the foam would help it fit in a smaller overhead bin - good question. I'm not sure. The foam at the top of the case has a hole in it to allow the top of the body of the TH to protrude up a bit higher. The benefit of removing the foam would be to allow bag/box to be shimmied into the bin. If the bin doesn't have at least a 10" clearance, it wont fit anyways.

I've also flown in a local carrier that has an "a la carte" service passengers can drop small luggage items at the door of the plane while they board and they will have it waiting at the door of the plane when you disembark. It's a great service.

Regarding hassles through security. I've been asked what it is in an interested tone of voice. I've never been asked to unbox it, nor has anyone treated it with any special attention. - Never been swabbed like SoerenM.

Never been swabbed like SoerenM.

Oh wow.. to be honest I totally expected that they at least will open an inspect closer/swab it. Well MCO to JFK was domestic, JFK to Germany was international. But same treatment on both.

Did you tell them about it first / declare it with the airline? (plus maybe difference due to holiday time / current world events?!)

Thanks everyone am at the front so I'll ask the attendant to put it with the suit jackets good call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh wow.. to be honest I totally expected that they at least will open an inspect closer/swab it. Well MCO to JFK was domestic, JFK to Germany was international. But same treatment on both.

Did you tell them about it first / declare it with the airline? (plus maybe difference due to holiday time / current world events?!)
I simply told them what it was, and they ran it through the x-ray machine. That's all.

How do you guys deal with the batteries - in a fire proof case and separate from the H?? Looking to take my H to the Dominican in Feb.

Carry on in fire safe battery bags. Cover the open end of the batteries to meet the terminal safety requirements. Tape works.

That was fortunate. If you would have removed the foam from the top, would it have fit? I'm looking for a reliable way to carry on the H in overhead storage for most planes from MD-80 on up.

For aircraft with smaller over head bins, just get a run at it:)

If you have not downloaded the PDF from FAA, this would be good to print and take with you. Essentially, you can only carry-on LiPo batteries that are rated less than 100 watt hrs. Standard 5400 mAh are rated at ~80 watt hours. You can carry-on as many as you like but they must be protected from damage and short circuit. I'm guessing you can tape contacts and put them in bubble wrap? Also, if for some reason you have other batteries rated for more than 100 watt hours, you are limited to two in a carry-on and only after airline approval. Here is link to PDF https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...fo/media/Airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf

Having flow with my H's (2) and a set of 8 lipos, this is what you do:
have your lipos placed in a bin while doing TSA. They will do a hands-on inspection about them just to check. Any battery bigger than a laptop battery must be placed on a bin so it can go trough x-ray. I've done about 7 intl flights back and forth to south america and its been the same procedure ever since.... Now. if you carry your drone in a carry on with no foam box and just the drone by itself what I would encourage is to put your lipos in a fire retardant bag and then on a cushioned bag pack so in the unfortunate event of fire you do indeed get the bag on the aisle. Not trying to put any fear on people but lipos deserve your utmost attention and ever more while on a plane.
DFW-MIA-LPB-VVI and back
VVI-LPB-CUZ and back
VVI-EZE and back

Here in Europe the Typhoon H backpack exceeds the maximum size for carry-on luggage by about 5 cm (2") in thickness (max is usually 25 cm /10"). As the airlines become more and more budget oriented they are cracking down on the size of carry-on. If the check-in staff are in a good mood you should be able to get away with it BUT if they make you place it in the measurement box, it's not going to fit. You will then need to check it as hold luggage along with any dangers and extra costs that accompany it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hendrtiz