Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H Pro flying in hot weather

pjf

Reaction score
Upon 1st takeoff (no real heat-up yet) and flying in Angle Mode (OBS Avoid off, actually, I never use it), I have noticed some erratic behavior while hovering no matter if stock antennas(3) or Itelite antenna is installed.

Within 20ft of the ground erratic up/down movements, side to side 5-6 feet drifting.
No high speed jerking motions yet.
I am able to remain in control & properly land.

Yes, all the latest firmware updates installed as of 7/23/17.
Yes, all calibrations properly reset.
Yes, everything stored in climate controlled bedroom.
Props all intact.
Always fresh batteries & controller fully charged..

I was thinking it might be a reaction to heat?

Henderson, NV 110 degrees.

I've owned this drone for about 4-5 months.

No in-flight problems (yet), if I lose sight I home it until I can see/hear it.

When I first flew this months ago, the hovering was rock solid..

Is this thing wearing out, already?? LOL!

Read this and weep...!!! LOL!

After digging deeper into the forum (my many thanks to the contributors), it appears that my problem is a common one and may not be necessarily associated with heat, but with an ST16 Calibration through the 'Secret Menu' option...

So the question is: Why, after apparent upgrading (several times w/the same result), does the controller need to be calibrated, with the possibility of a FACTORY RESET??????

I didn't have any problems before I did the upgrades..
Is there a problem with the upgrades??

A cautionary "H" problem, and fix

ST-16 Calibration ( secret menu )

I haven't yet completed the calibration and possible reset, but will inform you with the result...

Stay tuned!!!

The ST-16 is made mostly out of plastic. Plastic can expand and shrink quit a bit due to temperature.
You take it from a 70-75 degree house out into 110 degree heat, I can see where the ST-16 may need to be calibrated. I do agree calibrating the ST-16 before every flight should not be necessary.

I'm not clear about which calibrations you are referring to. The compass and accelerometer need to be done after a firmware update. They generally don't need to be done again unless you see some reason to do so.
The ST16 rarely should need any re-calibration. I would only do that if I see something in Hardware Monitor that shows something not working correctly.

As far as very hot weather, you can expect some issues to show up. Electronic components don't like heat. On top of the ambient temp you will have additional heat from solar gain inside the H and the ST16. Try it early morning and see if you have the same behavior.

The ST-16 is made mostly out of plastic. Plastic can expand and shrink quit a bit due to temperature.
You take it from a 70-75 degree house out into 110 degree heat, I can see where the ST-16 may need to be calibrated. I do agree calibrating the ST-16 before every flight should not be necessary.

I know all about heat & electronics, as I restore & repair vacuum tube amplifiers....
Who said anything about "calibrating the ST-16 before every flight"?????

Did you read the included links???

I'm not clear about which calibrations you are referring to. The compass and accelerometer need to be done after a firmware update. They generally don't need to be done again unless you see some reason to do so.
The ST16 rarely should need any re-calibration. I would only do that if I see something in Hardware Monitor that shows something not working correctly.

As far as very hot weather, you can expect some issues to show up. Electronic components don't like heat. On top of the ambient temp you will have additional heat from solar gain inside the H and the ST16. Try it early morning and see if you have the same behavior.

Did you read the included links???

My main suggestion is to try to avoid flying in temps over 100F. What I do during weather like that is to fly early after sunrise and call it a day by 10 AM.
I doubt updates, calibrations once done correctly, etc., have any bearing on your situation. I am familiar with your links.

From time to time due to upper atmosphere geo-magnetic conditions, GPS Satellite reception will vary, This often results with the TH being less horizontally stable, especially close to ground.

Happy flying! Are you anywhere near the Green Valley Ranch?:cool:

How one stores and transports an ST-16 can impact calibration. How one handles or treats an ST-16 also impacts calibration. Before the days RC systems were loaded up with multiple transmission systems, user menus, and programming options, calibrations were not part of the user experience. Transmitters were also more expensive (based on dollar values) as they were made with better gimbals. Even now, a high quality 14 channel radio control system costs almost as much as an entire Typhoon H standard package. To get prices down to a level where consumers find them affordable requires lower cost materials, components, and labor be employed to reduce production costs. Toss in thermal expansion rate deltas between metal and plastic components, electrical heat generation of sub systems that generate so much heat they need a pair of cooling fans to keep the temp in check and there's a lot of cause for occasional calibrations.

The largest problem I discern with any of the consumer drones out there is not so much the systems, but an almost total lack of understanding in how they work at the user level. Users frequently jump into this with no previous RC experience, at least practical experience that generated system knowledge, yet expect to be a master of aviation the first time they power a system up. So they start encountering what they define as problems that aren't problems at all. Before the advent of automated systems users knew and expected they would have to perform basic set up of the flight control system with linkage adjustments, servo centering, servo trim positioning, and often matching travel outputs of multiple servos sharing a single channel. Now it's buy and fly. They may not know anything about what they are doing but they can't be wrong! The bad part is many of them provide a sense of anger or severe irritation when they describe their "issue".

Real problems most certainly occur in products of mass production. The hard part is often determining if there's a real problem or a condition that is the root cause of complaint.

Last edited:
I
How one stores and transports an ST-16 can impact calibration. How one handles or treats an ST-16 also impacts calibration. Before the days RC systems were loaded up with multiple transmission systems, user menus, and programming options, calibrations were not part of the user experience. Transmitters were also more expensive (based on dollar values) as they were made with better gimbals. Even now, a high quality 14 channel radio control system costs almost as much as an entire Typhoon H standard package. To get prices down to a level where consumers find them affordable requires lower cost materials, components, and labor be employed to reduce production costs. Toss in thermal expansion rate deltas between metal and plastic components, electrical heat generation of sub systems that generate so much heat they need a pair of cooling fans to keep the temp in check and there's a lot of cause for occasional calibrations.

The largest problem I discern with any of the consumer drones out there is not so much the systems, but an almost total lack of understanding in how they work at the user level. Users frequently jump into this with no previous RC experience, at least practical experience that generated system knowledge, yet expect to be a master of aviation the first time they power a system up. So they start encountering what they define as problems that aren't problems at all. Before the advent of automated systems users knew and expected they would have to perform basic set up of the flight control system with linkage adjustments, servo centering, servo trim positioning, and often matching travel outputs of multiple servos sharing a single channel. Now it's buy and fly. They may not know anything about what they are doing but they can't be wrong! The bad part is many of them provide a sense of anger or severe irritation when they describe their "issue".

Real problems most certainly occur in products of mass production. The hard part is often determining if there's a real problem or a condition that is the root cause of complaint.

My main suggestion is to try to avoid flying in temps over 100F. What I do during weather like that is to fly early after sunrise and call it a day by 10 AM.
I doubt updates, calibrations once done correctly, etc., have any bearing on your situation. I am familiar with your links.

From time to time due to upper atmosphere geo-magnetic conditions, GPS Satellite reception will vary, This often results with the TH being less horizontally stable, especially close to ground.

Happy flying! Are you anywhere near the Green Valley Ranch?:cool:

Near the Galleria Mall..
Where do you fly?
I'll report once I complete the ST16 calibration...
Then we will ALL know for sure.. LOL!

I followed the suggested instruction by continuously tapping the 'about controller' button, but cannot get into the calibration menu.

The button highlights, nothing happens...

The screen remains in the 'about controller' info screen..

What now??

After digging deeper into the forum (my many thanks to the contributors), it appears that my problem is a common one and may not be necessarily associated with heat, but with an ST16 Calibration through the 'Secret Menu' option...

So the question is: Why, after apparent upgrading (several times w/the same result), does the controller need to be calibrated, with the possibility of a FACTORY RESET??????

I haven't yet completed the calibration and possible reset, but will inform you with the result...

Stay tuned!!!

Stay tuned!!!

I followed the suggested instruction by continuously tapping the 'about controller' button, but cannot get into the calibration menu.

The button highlights, nothing happens...

The screen remains in the 'about controller' info screen..

What now??

Good News! After performing the Factory Reset (twice), reloading firmware performing the calibrations, after two test flights the bird appears to be fine and hovers in a normal condition.
While taking it out last night with a stiff breeze and wind gusts, all was well.
The strong west to east wind here in LV was pushing the bird toward me (I was east of the bird) while hovering about 10ft..
A valuable lesson indeed while flying in windy conditions.!!!

The ST16 reset & calibration, to incl. compass, acc & gimbal, on 1st flight revealed that camera was acting oddly (yes, I did the calibs) and that the speed control was only operating at 1/2 speed w/the beep at the highest position instead at halfway.
While watching the video and setting B1 & B2 (1st screen in hidden menu) to the half way position at start of calibration, did not reveal the those controls need to be returned to the center position before continuing to the next screen..

After experimentation all was revealed.!!

I have to say ALL OF YOUR post are so elliquently written, and such composition and yet you seem to have no answers, maybe rewrite as a run on sentence and stay humble.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430