Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H Smart mode doesn't work, but angle mode does.

Reaction score
Hi, I'm totally new to flying a drone..
Had to repair my H after a crash, the 2nd time I flew.. One arm needed to be replaced. Had some problems callibrating at first, but it finally did callibrate. My H doesn't respond correctly in smart mode. It cannot go left or backwards and right isn't completely right. However it does respond correctly in angle mode. It did work before the crash.

Which smart mode are you using?

Had to repair my H after a crash, the 2nd time I flew.. One arm needed to be replaced. Had some problems callibrating at first, but it finally did callibrate. My H doesn't respond correctly in smart mode. It cannot go left or backwards and right isn't completely right. However it does respond correctly in angle mode. It did work before the crash.
@Tjer Use angle mode, it's far safer and easier to use. I never use smart mode, and many other folks here will say the same. Smart mode is only good if you understand its parameters.

Hmmmmm. The switch top right of ST16
Hmmmmmmmmmm, I wanted to make sure if you were referring to the smart features or the smart mode. Hmmmmmmm, you said you were new to drone flying so I was looking for more input and making sure I was on the same page as to what you were calling smart mode as they are similar in nature. Hmmmmmmmm, I was looking for clarification!

Hmmmmmmmmmm, I wanted to make sure if you were referring to the smart features or the smart mode. Hmmmmmmm, you said you were new to drone flying so I was looking for more input and making sure I was on the same page as to what you were calling smart mode as they are similar in nature. Hmmmmmmmm, I was looking for clarification!

Hmmmm Wasn't sure what you meant. Just the smart mode. No features.

Actually I bet it does respond correctly in Smart Mode, its just that perhaps you're not sure of what that is?
Did you get a chance to read in the manual about how the direction of movement is different in Smart Mode and How there is a Geo Fence and a Smart Circle and all that? Its worth taking a minute to understand it. For those that don't read these few hundred words, the price can be steep. ;) Pay particular attention to everything below but especially the part where they say the following:

"Although we recommend learning to fly Typhoon H in Angle (Pilot) Mode as soon as possible."

SmartMode.jpg

Actually I bet it does respond correctly in Smart Mode, its just that perhaps you're not sure of what that is?
Did you get a chance to read in the manual about how the direction of movement is different in Smart Mode and How there is a Geo Fence and a Smart Circle and all that? Its worth taking a minute to understand it. For those that don't read these few hundred words, the price can be steep. ;) Pay particular attention to everything below but especially the part where they say the following:

"Although we recommend learning to fly Typhoon H in Angle (Pilot) Mode as soon as possible."

View attachment 11399

Please note where it shows "Smart Circle". It mentions the distance of 26 feet. If you are within that distance, then Smart Mode will not be safe to fly in. The "H" has to be at least 26 feet away from the controller. I accidently bumped the Mode switch into Smart Mode and didn't realize it. When i tried to bring it back toward me to land, it stayed away. Then I saw the toggle switch was in the wrong position. I put it back in Angle Mode and all was fine again.

Reactions: thoneter
Please note where it shows "Smart Circle". It mentions the distance of 26 feet. If you are within that distance, then Smart Mode will not be safe to fly in. The "H" has to be at least 26 feet away from the controller. I accidently bumped the Mode switch into Smart Mode and didn't realize it. When i tried to bring it back toward me to land, it stayed away. Then I saw the toggle switch was in the wrong position. I put it back in Angle Mode and all was fine again.
Exactly what I was thinking. It it's in the circle I would think you'd get bizarre behavior. If in smart mode with follow me and within the smart circle could be some programming nono's going on. Just my technical jargon going on there!

Its actually a little more complicated than that. The GPS accuracy of the H and the ST-16 will rarely be sufficient to see that distance correctly and herein lies the biggest problem. As a pilot, we know what 26 feet (8 meters) looks like but; it is the GPS calculations that matter. You could be 40 feet away but the the GPS fix might have you at 65 feet or 20 feet. And each time the aircraft and controller move back into proximity of one another these calculations can be wrong and will never be consistent. To see this in action, the next time you fly, look at the distance figures at the bottom left of the ST-16 screen - this is the figure that matters, not the actual distance.

If you want to fly in Smart mode: 1] Always check the distance on the ST16 - 2] Pad that distance enough to be on the safe side (no Pun Intended) and - 3] be prepared to turn it off by switching to Angle Mode.

Tjer in latest firmware you will not have control at all if you are in Smart mode and obstacle avoidance is engaged. You have to switch off OA in order to take control back. It jas nothing to do with smart circle etc.
Maybe this was your problem.
Its sucks because they haven't change the manual with updated info.

Thank t

View attachment 11399
Thanks for your input guys. Started on smart mode, because it says that smart mode is the best way to start for beginning pilots and I'm a beginner. I didn't try any other features, but maybe accidently turned something on or off. I was able to fly and control the H before the crash and in smart mode. I 'm mainly worried that the crash broke something and that this caused the smart mode to fail. But since angle mode works that should tell me there is nothing wrong with the compass or gps. I will try again soon. Out for a while because of surgery.

SMART MODE adds some special features:
1) GEO FENCE , will not allow the aircraft to fly more than 300 feet away.
2) SAFE CIRCLE, Will attempt to keep the aircraft 26 feet away from you. CAUTION, on take off in SMART MODE the aircraft can fly out of control to achieve the 26 foot limit, causing it to crash into what ever is in the way.
3) HEADLESS MODE ( as most drone people call it) It does not matter which way the aircraft is pointed, Moving the right stick will move the aircraft towards/away from you, or left and right.
4) Allows use if the Follow ME/Watch Me modes.
5) Tail light will flash GREEN/WHITE

Always safer to take off in angle mode (Purple/White tail light)

The only reason that Smart mode wont let you have control at all, is when Obstacle Avoidance is switched on. This since latest firmware update.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval