Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H will not start GPS stuck on acquiring

Reaction score
Hello all,

I cleaned off the dust on my Typhoon H and took it out to test it out. For some reason it would not take off. Single beep when I tried to start and steady beep on the right stick.

Anyways I wanted to hook it up to my PC and realized I did not have the GUI on my new PC. I downloaded the GUI and required VS C++ file and hooked up my drone. The GUI itself will open and after about 2 seconds it will close. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling a couple of times with no luck. I installed it on my laptop and I get a "WpfAppTyphoonH has stopped working" message and prompts me to close program. On my old PC it worked fine I believe it was running Win 8.1

I have done some google searches but posts were pretty old and I don't think it was related to a Win 10.

Both PC and Laptop are running Win 10

Anyone have any pointers I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Last edited:
I cleaned off the dust on my Typhoon H and took it out to test it out. For some reason it would not take off. Single beep when I tried to start and steady beep on the right stick.
You don't need the GUI. The GUI looks for problems with the drone. You have a problem with the controller. Your right stick has corrosion and is not registering centered. Stir the stick around for awhile, and check it on hardware monitor until it moves smoothly and centers when you release it. Your system is doing what it was designed to do, avoid motor start with the right stick not in neutral. Prevents ground crashes.

I tired rotating it around for a little bit and still has the beeping.. I checked monitor and it shows that it is centered.

Could it be a battery issue? I havent used them in about a year and a half. I have 4 batteries and all of them have been freshly charged from storage. No issue on my ST16 says 16.6 volts I do not recall what they should be at full charge.

I am sure that it is something that I am not doing correctly. It has been 1 1/2 since I last flew it.

I understand the controller is beeping, not the H? Please correct me if I misunderstand.
You need to check the "final" display on your ST16. Do a rapid double tap on the volts icon of the ST16 screen. A display will open with 24 channels showing. CH02 and CH03 are the right stick. See if both are in the center, and if they respond as you move the stick around.
You can refer to Attachment 31 (Signal Processing Overview) in "Way To Fix Drones project" for more detail if needed.
If both sticks look normal, let us know and we'll see what we can find.
Again, I am basing this on the belief you have a Typhoon H, ST16 controller, and the beeps are coming from the controller. Correct me If that is wrong.

Reactions: DoomMeister
I understand the controller is beeping, not the H? Please correct me if I misunderstand.

beeps are from H not controller

You need to check the "final" display on your ST16. Do a rapid double tap on the volts icon of the ST16 screen. A display will open with 24 channels showing. CH02 and CH03 are the right stick. See if both are in the center, and if they respond as you move the stick around.

Yes they respond

You can refer to Attachment 31 (Signal Processing Overview) in "Way To Fix Drones project" for more detail if needed.
If both sticks look normal, let us know and we'll see what we can find.

Both channels are in the center

Again, I am basing this on the belief you have a Typhoon H, ST16 controller, and the beeps are coming from the controller. Correct me If that is wrong.

Yes I have Typhoon H and ST16 controller. Beeps are from H not the ST 16

Its all original got it right before real sense was available so even the firmware is the same. I should probably update.

If it didn't need an update when you stored it, it should not really need one now. Check your version before you do it. There have been no new updates since 2017. And updates can go wrong.

One trick you can try using the "Final Display". Bind to the drone. Open the display. Look at the % values at the top of each channel. Move the right stick until both affected channels are reading zero. If the beeping stops, it's an issue with the sticks. If the beeping continues, the issue is elsewhere.

I did notice it said distance says NA. If I remember right you have to be at a certain range from drone to start it????

I did notice it said distance says NA. If I remember right you have to be at a certain range from drone to start it????
That usually means the controller, aircraft, or both do not have a good enough GPS fix to determine distance. The minimum 8 meter distance is for Smart mode. That is because the aircraft will do its best to get outside the safe circle (8 meter radius) on takeoff, therefore unexpected movement can occur.

ok I am getting a code blink and I looked it up

Blinks purple (3 times per second) then off (for 1 second)

The Aircraft is in Angle Mode without GPS or IPS lock

Range is from 0% to 95%
Range should be 0% to 95% in BOTH directions. (-95, 0, +95) If that is what you saw, then the sticks are OK.

The N/A distance is interesting. Do you have GPS signals for both drone and controller showing on-screen?
Even if GPS is turned off, you should be seeing a satellite count for both drone and controller.
1.) Please see how many satellites you have for each.
2.) If you can upload a screenshot of your controller, it may provide a clue.
3.) Do you have GPS turned on ? (it's under the "Settings Calibration" icon at the right center of you screen.
Example screenshot:
Satellites.jpg

OK I see the difference My GPS is stuck on Acquiring. When I turn my GPS off G-SPD and DIS start displaying information. Motors still will not start either with GPS on or off. With GPS off I get a blinking green but when its on Blinks purple (3 times per second) then off (for 1 second)

I am getting 18 SAT on the left and other one shows 12

So my guess its a faulty GPS and also something else that turns on the motors.

How are you turning off GPS? It sounds more like you are switching to Smart mode with the Main LED turning green. If GPS is disabled, the Main LED should flash purple once per second.

Uploading the FlightLog would give us a clue to why GPS is not acquiring.

With GPS off I get a blinking green but when its on Blinks purple (3 times per second) then off (for 1 second)

I am getting 18 SAT on the left and other one shows 12

So my guess its a faulty GPS.
Probably nothing faulty, based on the things you mentioned. Blinking purple (or green) is because GPS is not acquired. You have lots of satelites, but your original post suggests the drone had been out of service for awhile. That, as a minimum, means the GPS "almanac" is out of date. Does not matter how many satellites it sees, if it doesn't have the current almanac, it doesn't know where the satellites are supposed to be, so it can't use them to calculate position. The almanac is only broadcast about once every 12 minutes. If you are indoors, it may take several broadcasts before your unit gets a good copy.
Bottom line, the first step is to take the drone outside, turn it on, bind it, and let it soak up GPS information for awhile.

How long was it out of service? There may be another issue to discuss if it was stored for more than a few months.

Reactions: DroneCalzone
How are you turning off GPS? It sounds more like you are switching to Smart mode with the Main LED turning green. If GPS is disabled, the Main LED should flash purple once per second.

Uploading the FlightLog would give us a clue to why GPS is not acquiring.

GPS is turned off via setting Calibration on the right side of the screen

I will have to look up the flight logs when I have more time getting ready to start my shift work.

Probably nothing faulty, based on the things you mentioned. Blinking purple (or green) is because GPS is not acquired. You have lots of satelites, but your original post suggests the drone had been out of service for awhile. That, as a minimum, means the GPS "almanac" is out of date. Does not matter how many satellites it sees, if it doesn't have the current almanac, it doesn't know where the satellites are supposed to be, so it can't use them to calculate position. The almanac is only broadcast about once every 12 minutes. If you are indoors, it may take several broadcasts before your unit gets a good copy.
Bottom line, the first step is to take the drone outside, turn it on, bind it, and let it soak up GPS information for awhile.

How long was it out of service? There may be another issue to discuss if it was stored for more than a few months.

About a year and a half.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval