Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H with additional payload project

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I am trying out an experiment by adding a additional payload to the Typhoon H.

My thought was to attach a adhesive mount to the top of the Typhoon H, but I quickly realised that if something failed the payload may fall onto the propellors thus crashing it.

So, onto my design. It is a sort of skid/mount that attached to the landing gear of the Typhoon H you may find a photo below. The skid is 5mm carbon fibre tubes and the mounts are 3d printed to fit both the Go-Pro and the landing gear. Securing the skid will be done with re-usable Zip-ties.

This initial design has some flaws.
  • The mount to the camera does not have any anti-vibration device, such as the rubber feet the CGO 3 cameras are hung onto.
  • Unable to land without a bucket. The skids (5mm carbon fibre tubes) need to extend a further 10cm outward to the starboard and port of the aircraft. That way extra payloads can be affixed to the sides and have the ability to land the aircraft without a bucket.
  • The 3d print from PLA may melt in direct sunlight.
  • Securing additional payloads to the aircraft incase of a mount failure/malfunction. (I am thinking Para-Cord woven into the landing gear.)
  • Obviously the landing gear will not retract.

I want to fix these issues in my next iteration/design. But before that I need to do a test flight with my current design to see if any undesired effects will occur, I will post further photos,videos and updates as I do my flight test and continue my experiment.
I am curious if the Wi-fi feature not he go-pro interfere with the Camera and Command signals.

I am open to feed back as many minds can solve a problem many different ways.

Cheers
CH

Attachments

• IMG_1801.JPG
    IMG_1801.JPG
    1,003.6 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_1802.JPG
    IMG_1802.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 125

Screenshot.png

Last edited:
The H needs to be level and not moved during bootup. Additional weight will add more stress to the motor circuits, may cause the motors to run hot, increase battery drain and impede the aerodynamics.

It is VERY dangerous to add anything to the H. It is not intended to carry any extra weight, not to mention the balance will be totally wrong. You're asking for a possible loss of control and crash!

If you want something that will carry extra payload it might be worth leaving the H as originally designed. My son and I have a Form 500. It will carry 2LBs of extra weight. We added a 2axis gimbal for the camera and a single axis gimbal for a payload release. We are planning to release a GI-Joe with the Parachute from my Hubsan X4 Pro. It is not as technically advanced as the H but It is certainly cheaper. It's cool to be able to adapt a great drone for other added uses but is it worth the risk ?This wasn't a sales pitch or anything, it is just my solution for separating creativity and practicality. Nice work on your prototype- By the way.

The H needs to be level and not moved during bootup. Additional weight will add more stress to the motor circuits, may cause the motors to run hot, increase battery drain and impede the aerodynamics.

It is VERY dangerous to add anything to the H. It is not intended to carry any extra weight, not to mention the balance will be totally wrong. You're asking for a possible loss of control and crash!

I would disagree, unless the CGO3+ is considered payload and not part of the stock weight and balance capacity of the H.

According to Yuneec's FAQ: (FAQ Typhoon H),
What are the benefits of the six rotors on Typhoon H?
The six rotors allow for the Typhoon H to have a greater overall payload.

Definition of PAYLOAD
Definition of payload
  1. 1 : the load carried by a vehicle exclusive of what is necessary for its operation; especially : the load carried by an aircraft or spacecraft consisting of things (such as passengers or instruments) necessary to the purpose of the flight
The CGO3+ is relatively light, so even if it is considered "payload", I am not sure their FAQ would even mention "greater overall payload" if it was not capable of just that.

Additional weight will add more stress to the motor circuits, may cause the motors to run hot, increase battery drain and impede the aerodynamics.

I agree, but I would HOPE that the H is not designed to absolute minimum specs. Im not expecting for the H to be able to carry several extra pounds of bricks, but if it is designed to minimum specs, I would think that even flying the H in stock form would eventually cause ESCs, circuits and motors to burn out.

There is some vid about a 360 degree camera mounted on the H.
Problem will still be the vibration from motors.

a vid on youtube
Pretty cool idea!
Have you considered adding the 360 camera to a homemade adapter that uses the stock rubber grommets in place of the Yuneec gimbal and camera? Perhaps starting with someone's broken gimbal/camera.

I would disagree, unless the CGO3+ is considered payload and not part of the stock weight and balance capacity of the H.
According to Yuneec's FAQ: (FAQ Typhoon H),
What are the benefits of the six rotors on Typhoon H?
The six rotors allow for the Typhoon H to have a greater overall payload.
Definition of PAYLOAD
Definition of payload1 : the load carried by a vehicle exclusive of what is necessary for its operation; especially : the load carried by an aircraft or spacecraft consisting of things (such as passengers or instruments) necessary to the purpose of the flight
The CGO3+ is relatively light, so even if it is considered "payload", I am not sure their FAQ would even mention "greater overall payload" if it was not capable of just that.
I agree, but I would HOPE that the H is not designed to absolute minimum specs. Im not expecting for the H to be able to carry several extra pounds of bricks, but if it is designed to minimum specs, I would think that even flying the H in stock form would eventually cause ESCs, circuits and motors to burn out.
The camera is certainly a payload and the H is designed and advertised as a photographic platform. They make no claims that it will carry additional weight.
You are certainly free to do whatever you like even if it's outside the design parameters.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval