Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon Q500 Connection Issue

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Typhoon G that had been upgraded to a C-GO3 camera. I'm told that this upgrade essentially makes the copter a Typhoon Q500. The camera needed repair so I sent it to a Yuneec repair center. While the camera was being serviced I was able to fly the calibrate and fly the bird without the camera. I got the camera back several weeks ago but have not had the opportunity to fly it until today. I decided to calibrate the copter and fly it without the camera to re-familiarize myself with it again before attaching the camera. The copter binded with the controller. it showed the satellites and GPS connected and the battery status of the bird. I entered the settings window but I could not open the calibrate window. I powered down everything. Tried again, same result. I went into settings and reset everything to factory settings. Restarted both. I receive the "welcome pilot" greeting, but not sure if the bind was successful. No satellites, no GPS, no battery for drone indication. Try going through the bind process, no luck. Decided to install the camera and try again. This time I was told the camera had binded. I see the camera view on the control display, but no satellite, GPS, etc. I went into settings and tried to calibrate but cannot enter the calibration mode. Can anyone please advise?

This may wind up as a simple answer, but if not, it’s best to start with questions. This often avoids misunderstanding the issue. Please bear with me.
  1. What time zone are you in?
  2. Is your controller an ST-10 or is it an ST-10+?
  3. Does the battery icon on your controller show fully charged? (not the flight battery, the blue battery icon at the upper right of the screen)
  4. Did you create a new model in “Model Select” after you did the factory reset?
  5. Did you check to ensure the memory card (under the battery) is correctly seated? A card that is not aligned correctly can cause weird issues with the controller. (“No card at all” is OK, at least for our current purpose.)
  6. Had the controller been updated to newer firmware before you reset to factory?
  7. What controller firmware is displayed in “system settings” / “About Flight Mode Control” under “Build number”?
IF we need to do anything with the Camera:
  1. Is your camera a CG02 or a CG03? (two statements in your original post were in slight conflict)
  2. If the camera is a CG03, is it the black (Typhoon) version or the white (Chroma) version?
  3. As part of the drone upgrade, was the camera powered by a "pigtail and plug" or by a "hotshoe" mount? Or both?

Last edited:
This may wind up as a simple answer, but if not, it’s best to start with questions. This often avoids misunderstanding the issue. Please bear with me.
  1. What time zone are you in?
  2. Is your controller an ST-10 or is it an ST-10+?
  3. Does the battery icon on your controller show fully charged? (not the flight battery, the blue battery icon at the upper right of the screen)
  4. Did you create a new model in “Model Select” after you did the factory reset?
  5. What controller firmware is displayed in “system settings” / “About Flight Mode Control” under “Build number”?
IF we need to do anything with the Camera:
  1. Is your camera a CG02 or a CG03? (two statements in your original post were in slight conflict)
  2. If the camera is a CG03, is it the black (Typhoon) version or the white (Chroma) version?
  3. As part of the drone upgrade, was the camera powered by a "pigtail and plug" or by a "hotshoe" mount? Or both?
Hi, thanks for your reply!
1. Central
2. ST-10+
3. No, about 60%
4. Yes
5.Android 4.0.3 Build st10+v01631c

1. CG03
2.Black, Typhoon
3.Pigtail

Could this problem be my proximity to an airport? I have flown here before with no problems, but I know recent restriction changes have occurred.

I'm not sure, but I don't think proximity to a no-fly zone will prevent you from binding to the controller. Let's assume NOT for now, and hope someone corrects me if I'm wrong.

Did you let the Drone fully initialize BEFORE tilting it to go into bind mode?
What LEDs/colors are showing at initialize? When Bind mode activated?

Last edited:
Also;
Had the controller been updated to newer firmware before you reset to factory?

Is the blue WIFI light flashing above the on/off switch? (Not really related, but might be a clue.)

Look down into the air slots on top of the left wing. Is there an orange light flashing? (May also be a blue light. Depends on which reciever.)

Last edited:
I'm not sure, but I don't think proximity to a no-fly zone will prevent you from binding to the controller. Let's assume NOT for now, and hope someone corrects me if I'm wrong.

Did you let the Drone fully initialize BEFORE tilting it to go into bind mode?
What LEDs/colors are showing at initialize? When Bind mode activated?
I agree on the no-fly zone thinking that a notice pertaining to that would have displayed. Yes I did allow it to fully initialize. i will have to check the LED colors and get back to you.

Also;

Is the blue WIFI light flashing above the on/off switch? (Not really related, but might be a clue.)

Look down into the air slots on top of the left wing. Is there an orange light flashing? (May also be a blue light. Depends on which reciever.)
Also;

No, I don't think I had updated the firmware prior to reset. The blue WIFI light was continous. Will check on the left wing.

My forum isn't updating correctly. I have to leave the forum, and come back before I can see your messages. This has been going on for awhile. Does yours do the same?

Did you check the memory card under the controller battery? Sometimes, if it gets out of alignment, the controller acts strange. Another low probability, but maybe worth checking.

Might also want to hook up a charger to the controller. 60% should be enough, but it might help to have higher voltage if the issue turns out to be oxidation on a contact inside the controller.

Also;

Yes. There is an orange light flashing inside the left wing.

Yes. There is an orange light flashing inside the left wing.
The orange light will go solid when you get a good bind.
When you set up the new model, you would have chosen either "Typhoon+" or "Typhoon 4K" as the model Type. Try creating another new model, chose the other one, and see if it will bind.

My forum isn't updating correctly. I have to leave the forum, and come back before I can see your messages. This has been going on for awhile. Does yours do the same?

Did you check the memory card under the controller battery? Sometimes, if it gets out of alignment, the controller acts strange. Another low probability, but maybe worth checking.

Might also want to hook up a charger to the controller. 60% should be enough, but it might help to have higher voltage if the issue turns out to be oxidation on a contact inside the controller.
This is my second day on the forum, no issues updating that I'm aware of. Will check the memory card and charge the controller. One thing I should maybe mention. The binding window show the Typhoon 4K on the left and the Camera on the right. This controller has never showed the model as being connected even when there was no camera mounted. Also, It does verify the camera is connected. I see the camera view in the display, yet the gimble does not respond to my input. All status indications for Alt., Sat., GPS show N/A.

When the binding window showed the 4K on the left, it should have first been in white letters below the line. You then would have touched the white letters, and the 4K should have changed to orange letters above the line. Did this happen?

The orange light will go solid when you get a good bind.
When you set up the new model, you would have chosen either "Typhoon+" or "Typhoon 4K" as the model Type. Try creating another new model, chose the other one, and see if it will bind.
Tried resetting the model to Typhoon+, also reset the camera. No change. At this point my controller power is below 50%. I will go ahead and charge it. Will update you in the morning. Thank you, and have a nice evening.

[QUOTE=" This controller has never showed the model as being connected even when there was no camera mounted. .[/QUOTE]
Sounds like a plan. See you in the morning.

Also, after the 4K id changes to orange, the orange light in the wing should continue to flash until you go back to the main screen. At that point, the wing light should go solid. Look for that tomorrow also.

When the binding window showed the 4K on the left, it should have first been in white letters below the line. You then would have touched the white letters, and the 4K should have changed to orange letters above the line. Did this happen?
The left side shows the model name at the very top. In this case Typhoon Plus. Below that it displays "Not Connected". I have tried to change it by touching the screen, but nothing changes. The right side displays the camera name in blue. That side responds to my touch and confirms the connection has been made.

I'm going to play around with that for awhile. I have a spare ST-10+. I'll reset it to factory, and see if that creates the problem on mine. Not likely to show us much, but we'll see.

You mentioned the "model name at the very top". Was it in orange letters , or was it in white?

The left side shows the model name at the very top.

Whoh! Back up a minute. (This is what happens when I don't read exactly what you said.) You said it displayed the model "NAME" at the very top. That's good, but that's not what you are looking for at this point.
Also, It is normal for it to say "Not connected" in orange letters in the gray bar at this point.

But here's the important part; It should also have displayed the model's receiver ID, in white letters, at the top of the black window part of the screen, just below the orange words "Not connected". Is it showing the receiver ID, in white? The white receiver ID (not model name) is what you have to touch to initiate bind. You should then get a brief message that says something like "syncing model data", shortly followed by a message that says "Connection established". When you click OK, the white receiver ID should the turn orange, and move into the gray bar to replace the words "Not connected". When you press the return button (twice?) to return to the main screen, the orange wing light should go solid, and the data should start showing up on the main screen.

Is the receiver ID showing up?
Are you touching the receiver ID, (not the Model name) to initiate the bind sequence?
If so, where does your controller depart from the expected sequence of results?

Last edited:
[QUOTE=" This controller has never showed the model as being connected even when there was no camera mounted. .
Sounds like a plan. See you in the morning.

Also, after the 4K id changes to orange, the orange light in the wing should continue to flash until you go back to the main screen. At that point, the wing light should go solid. Look for that tomorrow also.[/QUOTE]
Great and Embarrassing news! I went back to my owners manual and reviewed the binding procedures. As I had stated in my original post, I recently purchased this drone and had not flown it for several weeks so I'm still relatively new to the Q500. it seems i had forgotten a critical step for binding the craft to the controller. I did not remember to start the drone first, tilt it forward to 45 degrees forward to initiate the binding, then start the ST10+. Once I did this everything fell into place. I'm so sorry for taking so much of your time! Thank you so much for your very generous efforts.

Reactions: WTFDproject
Good news. And a lesson learned for me. I should have asked earlier how familiar you are with the process. Gaining that bit of experience makes the effort worthwhile on my part. Enjoyed talking to you, and I REALLY appreciate you taking the time to let me know how it came out.
Be good,
Tom Baumgardner

Reactions: Jafo

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mexstoragesystem