Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

UAV Captures Up-Close Video of Tornado in Oklahoma

Oh yea, did you notice all the debris flying around?, the drone did a great job being steady during flight.

Reactions: biltno
Amazingly steady, I think I even saw hail a few times. I'm sure the twister will be rated about an EF-0 but even the smallest of them have 40 to 72 mph winds. I was talking to another UAV pilot last night about this video. We both agreed we would sacrifice a craft in order to get the shot if given the chance.

Beautiful footage of an EF-0 tornado. The guy did a fantastic job chasing the tornado. I wonder how the aircraft will perform with a stronger one.

Reactions: HQLaker
I bet all the scientists that risk their life are taking a closer look at using UAVs for this work. I'm not a big fan of the show Storm Chasers but I like the discussions around deploying instrumentation in the anticipated path of a twister. @JackMTaco , Good luck on your meeting with Brandon Clement. I (we) would be interested to hear any details of discussions he may be having with the scientists on the beat.

As far as storm chasing goes, I have a life long passion for weather observation. A good friend and I have been talking for years about taking a few trips south in spring once we retire. I would enjoy watching the show Storm Chasers more if the emotional drama did not play as central a role,,, knowhatimean.

I like the discussions around deploying instrumentation in the anticipated path of a twister.
They've been doing that since the 80's at least. The NSSL used to run around with a giant barrel of instruments called TOTO for TOtable Tornado Observatory. They never managed to get it in the path of one, though.

I agree with you on the drama garbage in Storm Chasers. I also find it annoying that they romanticize chasing so much. It encourages people who don't know what they're doing to go out and chase. The movie Twister did the same thing. I used to chase for work when storms would roll through, and the clueless amateur chasers were generally a lot more dangerous than the weather.

Watching it again and again, I see one of the truckers getting out of his rig to get a better view of the tornado.
I wonder how far it traveled and speed?

Awesome experience even though it was a minimal tornado. It’s doubtful one would be able to get that close for so long to anything much stronger. They usually have extremely strong winds rain and hail at that distance. That tornado seems to be very dry on the outflow but still awesome to capture!

One problem with getting older is our dreams are often built upon things which no longer exist the way they once did.

Sorry to hear of your shortened bucket list. If there's ever a twister headed to the farm you and the H+ are welcome to come out and trash your sUAS in relative solitude. The footage would be well worth the sacrifice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trepox