Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

UAV flying just became very expensive in Canada

Reaction score
Come this summer you better have very deep pockets to fly your UAV in Canada thanks to Transport Canada. I would guess this will kill about 99% of all operators in Canada. Professional and hobbyists alike will be affected. Unless you're using the drone to make lots money, it's hard to justify this drone thing as a hobby now. Cost of license, mandatory training, insurance, etc... all that and you can't fly in most places.

New drone rules coming | Watch News Videos Online

This really is just a marketing piece for Bow Valley College. Nothing they’ve said is new information. There will be a requirement to take a test but as far as I’m aware you won’t be required to take (and pay) for a course... just pass a Transport Canada exam.

On one hand, given the number and severity of irresponsible hobbyists, such as the peeping toms and amateurs flying too close to public aircraft or ground traffic just to get some footage to sell to CNN or whoever without regard for public safety, I can very well see the logic in making it too expensive for the average joe. It sucks, but there are tons of pocket drones on the market that do not require licenses and registration, and are better suited to indoor use, and do not rely on or burden the limited number of available satellites with the GPS functions.

That's probably something they haven't yet thought about either: if the scene explodes due to price wars between DJI and everyone else, and everyone and their mother has a GPS-tracked drone, those aging satellites will quickly reach their limit of capacity, just like the phone services did, and cell towers. Add Smart Cars to that, and we've got a potential catastrophe as global comms start blacking out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval