Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Unable to start motors

Steve Carr

Missed Approach
Staff member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I had an unusual situation today when I attempted to arm the motors. Pressing Big Red was answered with some tones from the H but no motor starts. The auto takeoff would start the motors for several seconds but then shut back off. Here are the screen shots from the ST16

Screenshot_2019-02-01-10-27-49.pngScreenshot_2019-02-01-10-31-35.png

Maybe it was cold......

Could it have been the snow? The bottom sensors not able to get “fix”.....see what I’m getting at? Just a guess.....like I’d know.

The bottom screenshot shows low battery on the last entry. This is what happens to the 520 if the batteries are cold and not giving off the true voltage. The 520 will take off but percentage drops at 1% per sec. so my guess is the aircraft recorded low voltage and shut down.

WHat's with you crazy people flying in snow and cold!! Clearly the H+ has better sense than you. It simply refused to fly in the cold. Might warm the packs up as much you can and try it again.

I had exactly the same problem after an update this summer. The post is on the forum. I had to completely redo the installation and everything is worked, except the mission to the client that I lost.

Aircraft battery at 99%, Controller at 60% so I don’t think battery level is the problem. The Avionics power low warning is a typical transient fault with the TH+ especially in the pre-takeoff phase.

Would the system allow you to change between Sport, Angle , and Home modes?

Were you in Home mode and therefore it would not allow you to use Big Red, and shutdown after trying auto start?

Or as someone else suggested the TH+ was saying “I want to go back inside the house and wait until it’s warmer outside!”

WHat's with you crazy people flying in snow and cold!! Clearly the H+ has better sense than you. It simply refused to fly in the cold. Might warm the packs up as much you can and try it again.

Well then, @Phaedrus... what you’re implying is the H Plus has been “meowified” when compared to its little brother!

I almost took out one of my H480’s when the temp was -13F, just to do it. I believe it would have been fine for the couple of minutes flight I had In mind.

Regardless, I’ve been out in the low teens and single digits, for a couple battery “walks in the park” just because of the need for flight. I just can’t keep them inside the whole winter!

Good luck, @Steve Carr. Hoping to hear better news soon!

Jeff

I was in Angle mode and tried Sport mode as well. The batteries were kept warm. I moved a couple of times about 50' to try a different spot. After several attempts I went thru the settings and turned off and then on several of the settings including GPS. After doing so the motors finally started and it launched as normal.
I don't understand the terms in the screenshot.
"Not Arming: switch to a pilot mode first"
"Failsafe mode off"
"No valid positon. switching to manual mode"
"Failed to switch mode automatically"

I will be attempting to fly in another hour or so. Temp is warmer in the upper teens.

Reactions: AH-1G
I was in Angle mode and tried Sport mode as well. The batteries were kept warm. I moved a couple of times about 50' to try a different spot. After several attempts I went thru the settings and turned off and then on several of the settings including GPS. After doing so the motors finally started and it launched as normal.
I don't understand the terms in the screenshot.
"Not Arming: switch to a pilot mode first"
"Failsafe mode off"
"No valid positon. switching to manual mode"
"Failed to switch mode automatically"

I will be attempting to fly in another hour or so. Temp is warmer in the upper teens.
it was after an update?

The no valid position sounds like it could not find itself despite the number of satellites locked in. I've had this happen with other GPS gear, takes a long time to locate itself. GPS weirdness.

Flew today when it was about 20 degrees with no problem. I have flown the H in sub-zero weather and never had an issue.
it was after an update?
No, I have flown several times since I did an update.

The no valid position sounds like it could not find itself despite the number of satellites locked in. I've had this happen with other GPS gear, takes a long time to locate itself. GPS weirdness.
That would make sense. However, it properly showed the distance as 14' on the display which would suggest it had good positions for the H and the ST16.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss