Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Uneven cell charge?

Reaction score
Hi, just preparing for a missing person search tomorrow and took out my batteries from storage to charge them up. I then noticed that one of the cells show a higher voltage than the rest? Should I be concerned or see if the balancing on the DY5 will even this out? I dont want to risk an “overcharge” or malfunction during this charging session [emoji849]

IMG_6323.jpg

That's a big concern. Charge it and check the reading as it charges. I wouldn't want to fly a mission with that batt without some low level test flights to verify the condition.

Reactions: oliver
That's a big concern. Charge it and check the reading as it charges. I wouldn't want to fly a mission with that batt without some low level test flights to verify the condition.

Yeah, I aborted the charge when the 4th cell reached 4.35v, it might be my mind that tricks me but it feels like it has started to “bulge” a bit [emoji20] Its from January 2019 but not sure if Yuneec will accept this as RMA case since its been flown 7-10 times.

Yeah, I aborted the charge when the 4th cell reached 4.35v, it might be my mind that tricks me but it feels like it has started to “bulge” a bit [emoji20] Its from January 2019 but not sure if Yuneec will accept this as RMA case since its been flown 7-10 times.
I would keep charging it. 4.35 v is full cell charge and it should keep charging the other cells.
I think the battery warranty is just 30 days, but that may depend on the country.

Reactions: Luftdrone.dk
I would keep charging it. 4.35 v is full cell charge and it should keep charging the other cells.
I think the battery warranty is just 30 days, but that may depend on the country.

I am charging the other 5 batteries now and then I was thinking that a storage discharge and re-charge might resolve it for this last one?

it is also necessary to measure the internal resistance to be reassured.
For my part, I do not fly with these batteries high voltage, they have inflated and they struggling with difficulty in their home T PLUS

Worth keeping an eye on storage voltage at least monthly, to pick up any discrepancies. Hopefully it can be brought back into line, but if after a few tries, then in the bin.

Thanks, they have all been stored at around 50-55% (15,4v) for a month or so in climate controlled room (21-22c) and checked with a small manual voltage checker but it was only when I started to charge it that I could see the uneven cell voltage. I will try to see if it can be revived and if so, it will be a backup battery if my charging strategy for the day wont fit with 5 batteries. Have to be airborn for about 6-8 hours in total and over water so wont risk any battery malfunctions [emoji12]

Reactions: Steve Carr
Hmm, put it back in to start the charge and the 4th cell is now lower than the rest before starting the charge? I smell a dead battery [emoji849][emoji20]IMG_6327.jpg

Have you tried the other slot? I've got a few of those chargers, the one starting playing up after 4 months, would start giving strange readings and one slot would just give a battery warning and not charge no matter what batteries you put in.

I just had a similar situation this morning. Bringing 2 H Plus batteries out of storage and one battery had unbalanced cells. It took nearly two hours but the cells finally came into balance on the DY5. I’m not going to fly that one today and watch it for a few days. Admittedly I am gun shy after watch my original Plus fall from the sky from a bad cell.

If it does not begin to equalize after a few tries, it still can be useful for bench testing the H+.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis