Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Update on my "Bad Bird" Typhoon H Pro that flew the coop (fly away)

Reaction score
I posted at the end of January about my Bad Bird Flyaway which ended up a 100' skinny tree in a forest of sorts and was not accessible. The detailed can be found in this forum. Anyway, Yuneec did the right thing and replace all of it. Took a little over a month but they were great and easy to communicate with (as opposed to with DJI). Before the bird flew the coop, I complained in this forum about it wandering and not being rock steady like my DJI products. Most people said it's normal. That's not OK with me.

Yuneec says that my flyaway and complete loss of control was LIKELY due to a bad GPS system.

So the new bird is here and I tested it out. Did everything that I was supposed to do. I never got more than 12 sats even at altitude unobstructed. I know people should be getting 15 to 17 or more. What do "you-all" say about that?

It also still JERKS into a new direction I chose even in turtle mode with the gentlest of input.

It still wanders, even with all calibrations. Today it sort of went in a small tight circle. Not good. Comments?

Reactions: drgalla
I posted at the end of January about my Bad Bird Flyaway which ended up a 100' skinny tree in a forest of sorts and was not accessible. The detailed can be found in this forum. Anyway, Yuneec did the right thing and replace all of it. Took a little over a month but they were great and easy to communicate with (as opposed to with DJI). Before the bird flew the coop, I complained in this forum about it wandering and not being rock steady like my DJI products. Most people said it's normal. That's not OK with me.

Yuneec says that my flyaway and complete loss of control was LIKELY due to a bad GPS system.

So the new bird is here and I tested it out. Did everything that I was supposed to do. I never got more than 12 sats even at altitude unobstructed. I know people should be getting 15 to 17 or more. What do "you-all" say about that?

It also still JERKS into a new direction I chose even in turtle mode with the gentlest of input.

It still wanders, even with all calibrations. Today it sort of went in a small tight circle. Not good. Comments?
1. Did you let it sit after bootup with the props off for about 13 minutes? That is necessary on a first boot to allow the GPS to get an exact fix.
2. Did you calibrate the accelerometer and compass and then power cycle the H? That is also a first flight best practice.
3. Have you checked the firmware version on the H and the ST16? It might be new but still worth checking.

Please post as much information as possible to get the most out of this forum. We would all like to help resolve any issues if possible.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Yes I let it sit 30 minutes. Yes. I calibrated everything and then power cycled. As soon as it was received, yesterday, I checked the firmware and updated the a/c and st-16.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Thank you for taking the time to reply. Yes I let it sit 30 minutes. Yes. I calibrated everything and then power cycled. As soon as it was received, yesterday, I checked the firmware and updated the a/c and st-16.
You covered all the bases Skyler. I don't like the low sat count. I usually end up close to 20 and I'm wayyyy far north, so that is a concern. And the flying in circle thing has been nicknamed the toilet bowl effect or TB for short. That is also not a good sign. I would suggest calling Yuneec and emailing the telemetry. Let them analyze it and see what they suggest.

To test stability, when I take off I go to about 15' and do a slow 360 degree yaw and watch for drift. Any drift over a foot is not good. If it does then I land and redo the accelerometer calibration. I think in your case that will not be helpful.

One other thought. Did you delete the flight logs after you did the update? That is an important step which can affect stability.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech