Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Update on Typhoon H

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Just wondering,is there any chance Yuneec will be releasing any new update for the H?The last update was in March 2017

I think your question needs to be answered with a question.

Having released the 520 and Zh Plus, why would Yuneec want to create updates for the old H? The H Plus is the H update.

Reactions: plissken
There’s always a chance.

Heard a line similar to that somewhere.

As PatR says, the real question is more appropriately stated as “how likely are any further updates to be made available?”

Sorry... bored and felt compelled...

Jeff

They are still promoting, and selling the unit NEW, so the onus is on them to support it. Otherwise, they should release an end of life/ End of support statement. Such as DJI did with the Phantom 1, and 2 lines... etc.

But that is just my opinion... you do know what they say about that... "Everyone has one" ... just like a certain part of human anatomy.

Support is parts and service, which Yuneec most certainly still provides. System improvements are just that and not part of support. Because we can buy a new product does not mean we will be provided later performance increases. Once we buy a product, exchange money for product, all that’s still on the table is warranty service if such is promised along with continuing to make out of warranty parts and service as long as parts remain available. If they stop making the model but continue to sell it to clear existing inventory there will come a point parts will no longer be available.

Anyone that has followed Yuneec’s model history knows that once new models are released further improvements to older models cease. Not once has Yuneec announced models being discontinued, they just let them fade away.

Recognize the H firmware update alluded to at last January’s CES never happened. Realists will assume it never will.

If Yuneec was a car it would be devoid of rear view mirrors - in fact; there would be no rearward glass.

I think one has to also look at the fact that; the Typhoon H (like all Yuneec products) went through its introduction and roll out with a few issues. Over the first year these were fixed and more functionality was added to entire system until it became a very solid performer for what it was, and still is. It's literally about as bullet proof as one can hope for. While Yuneec may not make announcements regarding when they stop improving a given product, they do have a track record that shows after the first year, and everything is working - thats about it.

I agree with @PatR that as a manufacturer, why would Yuneec continue to add features to a two and a half year old platform when they have a new and more advanced model already occupying that slot?

They are still promoting, and selling the unit NEW, so the onus is on them to support it. Otherwise, they should release an end of life/ End of support statement. Such as DJI did with the Phantom 1, and 2 lines... etc.

But that is just my opinion... you do know what they say about that... "Everyone has one" ... just like a certain part of human anatomy.

Guess it depends on one’s definition of “support”.

If someone has a problem (e.g. mechanical failure) with an H480, and customer service is still willing to answer questions and recommend action plans, that tells me the company is still supporting the product.

If there is a defect in the firmware, but nothing done to correct the defect and release the fix, that is a different version of “not supporting”.

Support does not imply “continuous updates and feature adds”.

Correcting problems, yes. Adding features, not necessarily.

Jeff

Thank you Jeff, that is what I was implying.

I don't expect continuous new features... just corrections to probable/possible software issues that could be corrected through an update.

It is a currently stable platform with many added features... and as users have stated in other threads... right now the greater concern to many is bringing the latest and greatest H Plus up to speed, with those added features that are currently available on the H... with it's current FW version.

Just wondering,is there any chance Yuneec will be releasing any new update for the H?The last update was in March 2017
It is highly unlikely that Yuneec will do anything more with the firmware/software. It runs very stable. Anything that will change will not come from Yuneec at this point. Changes that have been happening, are due to users adjusting/tweaking/modifying how they use their ST16, as in the way they adjust the control sensitivities, settings, or mod their GPS, WiFi, and antennae on the ST16.

Reactions: John Eftimiades
Actually, the TH was rather an exception to the rule in that its updates did add a whole load of functionality - panoramas, hyperlapse, histogram, cruise control were all added way after release. As others have said they stopped improving the flight software when they got it mostly right, which they did with the latest version. Sure there are a couple of little annoyances that remain (mode shift resets WB settings, landing problems when barometer is wrong, driftiness near the ground etc) but the vast majority of issues with earlier firmware versions were addressed and the platform is now about as stable as it's gonna get...

Reactions: plissken and biltno
I've noticed on a Dji page, it's constant updates and people having issues afterwards, I think they overdo it, the Typhoon seems to be a very settled product, "if it ain't broke as they say".

I'm so confused why people view drones differently than any other product? If you bought a Ford F250 3 years ago, you wouldn't expect Ford to give updates or upgrades they have added to the new models. If there is a major flaw they should fix it, and provide parts for repair. The H-480 platform has been upgraded to either the H520 or H plus (both with their own benefits and flaws), but an improvement over the H480. My complaint is that they seem to leave out features that are standard on other drones from their competitors. I know many that we looking at the H plus decided on the Autel EVO not only for camera quality and functions, tap and fly waypoint, and forward and behind sensors. Yuneecs 6 rotors stability in wind was the only reason I bought 2 of my 3 Yuneecs drones I still own. It is not enough to compensate for the other lack of functionality.

I'm so confused why people view drones differently than any other product? If you bought a Ford F250 3 years ago, you wouldn't expect Ford to give updates or upgrades they have added to the new models. If there is a major flaw they should fix it, and provide parts for repair. The H-480 platform has been upgraded to either the H520 or H plus (both with their own benefits and flaws), but an improvement over the H480. My complaint is that they seem to leave out features that are standard on other drones from their competitors. I know many that we looking at the H plus decided on the Autel EVO not only for camera quality and functions, tap and fly waypoint, and forward and behind sensors. Yuneecs 6 rotors stability in wind was the only reason I bought 2 of my 3 Yuneecs drones I still own. It is not enough to compensate for the other lack of functionality.
Is there a major flaw in the Typhoon?

Is there a major flaw in the Typhoon?

Define major ;). What is a small problem for some is make-or-break for others. For example I couldn't care less about its lack of sensors (on the standard H), but some consider that a real disadvantage. Some people would prefer a map-based waypoints system rather than the CCC you get with the H, so that could be considered 'major' if it's something you need. Its flight characteristics are somewhat 'Yuneec', and you'll either like them or you won't, but nothing here is what I'd call a major flaw. For its price (especially now) it remains a very capable machine and a lot of people love their H's... but of course time moves on, and newer models appear which will invariably contain improvements (and equally new problems) that may make the old H look flawed in comparison...

Last edited:
Reactions: Gomi
Define major ;). What is a small problem for some is make-or-break for others. For example I couldn't care less about its lack of sensors (on the standard H), but some consider that a real disadvantage. Some people would prefer a map-based waypoints system rather than the CCC you get with the H, so that could be considered 'major' if it's something you need. Its flight characteristics are somewhat 'Yuneec', and you'll either like them or you won't, but nothing here is what I'd call a major flaw. For its price (especially now) it remains a very capable machine and a lot of people love their H's... but of course time moves on, and newer models appear which will invariably contain improvements (and equally new problems) that may make the old H look flawed in comparison...
No flaws for me so far. Just replying to the previous post for some clarification.

Reactions: biltno
I’ll have to check my files, it might have been March but I’m thinking it was July, ‘17 here.

My point is that Yuneec needs to realize they could be competitive to DJI, Autel, etc if they did not skimp on their technology leaving out features on one drone, that they use on another. If you can make a camera that has a 1" sensor without horizon issues (make that standard); If you have obstacle avoidance technology (make that standard front, reverse, above, and below); if you have the ability to program way points on screen without flying a ridiculous route burning up batteries (make it standard); if you have barometric height adjustment capabilities (make it standard); and if you have the ability to track an object and follow (make that standard).

Why? Because their competition is, without sacrificing price. Look at DJI for example (I know they have flaws: uploading user videos to china, no fly zones, update requirements etc. I own 2), however they have incorporated their technology of camera quality, tracking ability, auto height adjustment, and waypoint programming throughout all of their platforms.

The only difference is the extreme camera quality from the spark camera to the X7, but you have a choice and you definitely get what you pay for. I'm able to upgrade my Inspire 2 from the original Zenmuse X4 it came with to the Zenmuse X5 that I did, and then if I wanted to go crazy the Zenmuse X7. I can do all of that without changing platforms, and I decide when to pay for an upgrade through the camera.

If yuneec was smart they would have made a platform like the H Plus (that we know is the H520), support it with firmware upgrades, and maybe slight version changes. Then have different camera options by partnering with Panasonic, Canon, Nikon whoever to create better cameras.

Yuneec has made many different platforms from the Q500, Q500 4k, H920, H480, H920 Plus, H520, H plus, Mantis. All of these have been designed for a single purpose without keeping focus that the competition was making each drone a multi use platform. They were making so many different platforms at different price points, selling them, giving one, or 2 firmware updates, and then abandoning the product completely for a new one, leaving their customer/supporters with a single use platform drone.

I still hope Yuneec learns and improves because competition is good for technology and consumer pricing options, but I have invested too much on their drones only getting partial satisfaction requiring me to look to other drone companies to get what I need to perform the tasks I want. I'm done for now with Yuneec hoping they will listen and then only will I invest in the future.

If you notice over the past 5 years, the youtube videos showing tips, reviews, and instructions on Yuneec drones by various people are no longer flying, or making videos on Yuneec drones. Myself and I know many others have bought their Yuneec drones based on these videos. Yuneec in my opinion owes residuals to these ones for promoting their product, however they have actual disregarded these ones going as far as threatening to take legal action at times.

So to Captain Drone, Roswell Flight Test Crew, Jeff Sibelius, BillNicholsTV, Demunseed, Bo Lorentzen, Richard Gilmore, and many others I thank you even if Yuneec doesn't. Notice there are no comparison videos or reviews, only videos clips showing cinematic footage.

I can shoot that from anyone of my drones and with video editing shine that turd to make it look good, especially in 4k. The devil is in the details as it is said. Cinematic footage may sell some drones, but professionals highlighting features and comparisons to other drones is what will sell most drones.

[MOD EDIT:] My apologies up front, to @AveryBadman96 in editing your post without asking permission. The only edits were made to add some paragraph spacing for written legibility. The post is too good to not be easily read.

Last edited by a moderator:
From a marketing and management point of view, introducing a Typhoon H plus is an end-of-life statement for the Typhoon H as is its reduction in price. It becomes a matter of current stock and parts, and contracts they may have for those Typhoon H parts.

When you are the market leader your R&D tends to slow down because you do not have real competition. When competition comes along you can not necessarily quickly change the company mindset. You have to change both momentum and direction with people that are capable of meeting the ends needed. Usually, that means a change at the upper levels to effect change at lower levels of management and R&D. Then there is the communication to the segments that company affects or wishes to. It is not as easy as it may look.

Reactions: Magic
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrichesin