Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Updates and Compass Calibration for H+ - Remove camera or not...

Reaction score
Just installed the latest update for the H+, and know I now need to calibrate prior to flying. Having read through different threads, am not clear on whether I need to remove the camera for compass calibration or not. From what I have seen (if it’s to be removed), the H+ needs to be powered up completely first, then remove the camera to preform the calibration. My question is, does it need to be removed during calibration, and does the camera stay on or off for the other calibrations as well.

I advise to take the camera off for the Compass and Accelerometer calibrations, the Gyro calibration only requires the aircraft sit perfectly level and still so the gimbal can be left on for that.
However, to perform the Compass and Accelerometer Calibrations, the camera Must be on to start the procedure - it is after you start, that the camera can be removed - neither calibration can be initiated without the camera. Hope this makes sense.

Whether or not we can leave the gimbal on begs the question 'if we do, does it get damaged?' and I do not have the answer to this. Personally; it just makes no sense to flip the Aircraft around and watch the gimbal strain and fight hopelessly trying to stay level when it is an impossible task. Of all of the things I wish Yuneec would fix or clarify - it is this.

Reactions: thoneter
I advise to take the camera off for the Compass and Accelerometer calibrations, the Gyro calibration only requires the aircraft sit perfectly level and still so the gimbal can be left on for that.
However, to perform the Compass and Accelerometer Calibrations, the camera Must be on to start the procedure - it is after you start, that the camera can be removed - neither calibration can be initiated without the camera. Hope this makes sense.

Whether or not we can leave the gimbal on begs the question 'if we do, does it get damaged?' and I do not have the answer to this. Personally; it just makes no sense to flip the Aircraft around and watch the gimbal strain and fight hopelessly trying to stay level when it is an impossible task. Of all of the things I wish Yuneec would fix or clarify - it is this.

Thanks for the reply. To be clear (at least in my own mind, which can be subjective) the H+ and the controller must both be powered on (I assume outside for satellite acquisition) and ready for flight, then enter the calibrations screen. Once ready to start the calibrations, then remove the C23 and gimbal before proceeding with each of the 2 calibrations. Upon finishing each, then the gimbal and C23 can be reinstalled. After calibration, should the H+ be powercycled with the camera reinstalled before flight.

Thanks for the reply. To be clear (at least in my own mind, which can be subjective) the H+ and the controller must both be powered on (I assume outside for satellite acquisition) and ready for flight, then enter the calibrations screen. Once ready to start the calibrations, then remove the C23 and gimbal before proceeding with each of the 2 calibrations. Upon finishing each, then the gimbal and C23 can be reinstalled. After calibration, should the H+ be powercycled with the camera reinstalled before flight.

Kind of answered my own question. The system wouldn’t let me do the compass calibration with the camera/gimbal off of the H+. Tried doing a powercycle after first encountering this, but that didn’t change anything. It still required the camera to be installed prior to calibration. I didn’t try to do the accelerometer calibration without the camera installed after the result I got from doing the compass calibration.

I have done calibrations both ways.

If you do the calibration with the camera installed, the the procedure (and feedback provided on the ST16S) works as described in @ogrench 's updated manual.

If you do the calibration by starting with the camera installed, and then remove the camera, the ST16S provides no feedback on status, although the H+ lights and beeps still work. (Note, this is with the May 7 FW, don't know what happens with the Aug FW update).

This seems like some really ignorant oversight on behalf of Yuneec. Having the camera on and flipping it around sounds like a good way to blow out the gimbal.

I have done calibrations both ways.

If you do the calibration with the camera installed, the the procedure (and feedback provided on the ST16S) works as described in @ogrench 's updated manual.

If you do the calibration by starting with the camera installed, and then remove the camera, the ST16S provides no feedback on status, although the H+ lights and beeps still work. (Note, this is with the May 7 FW, don't know what happens with the Aug FW update).

This is great info. It’s good to know there’s redundancy within the system. I appreciate the feedback in how the systems work. I’m not new to RC flying but am to the Yuneec ecosystem and I’ve been out of the loop for some time. Was mostly Heli’s and the beginning of when GPS drones were first on the scene. My how technology has advanced :cool:

. My how technology has advanced :cool:

It has but at the same time hasn't. We see gimbal and camera improvements over yesteryear but the flying part is still pretty much "same thing, different day" with a little more automation using different styles across the manufacturers. Those who 3-4 years ago built or bought medium lifters with good gimbals, DSLR's, HD down links, and a good auto pilot are still holding their own with most of what we are seeing now.

Reactions: thoneter
An other possible method to calibrat the TH+ compass and accelerometer is before switching on set switch S1&S2 to the top postition turn on ST16 and H+ after connection slide K2 and set red dot to the red line on the calabration on the right of the screen on the ST16 when that is done you'll fine the Gyros and Gimbals are parallel to the ground in both direction then you lock the camera into place the Gyros are now set at 0 degrees then do the calibration the conpass and acclerometer when calibration or calibrations are finish with this method the only non variable are the Gimbals and Gyros still set 0 degrees

Last edited:
For a year and a half, with my H480 I have always calibrated with the gimbal on the drone. My H480 works very well with his gimbal from the beginning.
Now with the H Plus, I'm doing the same.
Just make the calibrations without making sudden gestures !
With delicacy, the drone is doing well ! ;)

Reactions: SavinPeace

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech