Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Upgrading.

Reaction score
H520 or 920?

I have Inspires, and h480's. I do not need OA or real sense. I frankly never use them. YouTube does not have anything real about either of them. 10 minutes flying them tells me nothing. The commercial applications I do not need. **** I barely use what the ones I have can do now. But the typhoon H I like. The other 2 Yuneec's I have flown Breeze, and Mantis. Less than impressed. No one local at the places I have contacted have either. I know a guy with an M600. But ACTUAL commercial grade units are short on the ground. The forum here. Either problems, complaints, or classifieds are what is here.

Any owners with video enjoying them? Or how it is a great upgrade over the h480? I am doing my due dilligence. Give me some help to buy another Yuneec product.

Thanks.

Several guys using the 520 and some have the 920. The 520 IS the commercial version of the H Plus which; is more aimed at video than the 520 so that may be something you want to consider. In fact it is a little over a thousand less than the 520. @PatR has a 920 and can give you pro's and con's of that system. You may want to ask this question in those forums as more are likely to see what you are asking for.

But if you are looking for an upgrade from the Typhoon H and Video is your main focus, you really should take a look at the Typhoon H Plus as well.

**** Also, if you're new to Yuneec, be sure to understand the differences in the Typhoon H's discussed on this forum. Many still do not really have a grasp between the Standard Typhoon H - Typhoon H Pro and Typhoon H Plus. The Plus is a completely different system than the first two and shares more in common with the 520. ****

While the Plus currently only comes with RS (I know you said you do not want or need it) it can be turned off. I have hundreds of flights on my Plus - never turned it on.

Reactions: Eagle's Eye Video
Several guys using the 520 and some have the 920. The 520 IS the commercial version of the H Plus which; is more aimed at video than the 520 so that may be something you want to consider. In fact it is a little over a thousand less than the 520. @PatR has a 920 and can give you pro's and con's of that system. You may want to ask this question in those forums as more are likely to see what you are asking for.

But if you are looking for an upgrade from the Typhoon H and Video is your main focus, you really should take a look at the Typhoon H Plus as well.

**** Also, if you're new to Yuneec, be sure to understand the differences in the Typhoon H's discussed on this forum. Many still do not really have a grasp between the Standard Typhoon H - Typhoon H Pro and Typhoon H Plus. The Plus is a completely different system than the first two and shares more in common with the 520. ****

While the Plus currently only comes with RS (I know you said you do not want or need it) it can be turned off. I have hundreds of flights on my Plus - never turned it on.

Thanks for the reply.

I am a H520 and H480 owner. I love both.

I have not scratched the surface as far as the H520 is concerned. Solid flight, nonetheless. I am impressed out of the box and expect to be going forward.

If you do not need or want the “commercial” features of the H520, current or future, why consider it? As Ty has already stated, the H Plus is the next choice.

As for the Mantis Q, considering its price point and published capabilities, what fell short as to your expectations?

I also have the Mantis. It performs as I expected, and travels perfectly; the latter being the critical checkbox when I considered the addition to my fleet.

Will be curious what others chime in with, and what your mindset becomes when you approach your decision.

Good luck!

Jeff

I shoot only video for my own projects as I start learning more for videography. I upgraded from the 480H to the H Plus for the camera, and it is well worth it. The difference between the C23 and CGO3 is astonishing. Additionally, the H Plus does fly better and the gimble may even be a bit better.

There’s a very detailed thread covering the highs and lows of the 920 Plus in the 920 forums. It covers all my pre and post purchase decisions and experiences. Rather than write it all over again, start there for 920 Plus info. No punches were pulled, Myself and others tell it like it is.

I like my 920+ very much, much more than my H, but it’s not perfect and certainly not for everyone.

I am a H520 and H480 owner. I love both.

I have not scratched the surface as far as the H520 is concerned. Solid flight, nonetheless. I am impressed out of the box and expect to be going forward.

If you do not need or want the “commercial” features of the H520, current or future, why consider it? As Ty has already stated, the H Plus is the next choice.

As for the Mantis Q, considering its price point and published capabilities, what fell short as to your expectations?

I also have the Mantis. It performs as I expected, and travels perfectly; the latter being the critical checkbox when I considered the addition to my fleet.

Will be curious what others chime in with, and what your mindset becomes when you approach your decision.

Good luck!

Jeff

Most of us do not need a drone period. Same as the computers in my home. They will do many things I will never need them for. My first purchase an inspire 1 Pro. I am literally a hobbyist. A $300 Parrot will do 4k. Likely most of what I would ever need. I bought what is regarded as the best in class. Hexacopter I bought all the bells and whistles 480 model. I would do the same on most things. Always buy quality. I tend to overbuy.

My issue with the Mantis. They wasted development on the voice controls. Who uses it? It is a gimmick. Most of the guys on here admit to shutting off realsense and OA. Do not use it. So what else does the mantis offer? It is a mavic clone. A bit cheaper, but not really any better. And close enough in price to not be a great deal. That is my issue. They could have basf'd it. Instead gave a gimmick and the ads lead with that. So less than impressed. If I wanted a mavic. I would buy a mavic.

And I bought the inspire and the typhoon after extensive research. Sadly the h's larger brothers seem to have more ads than substance. Hence my asking here. As countless unboxing videos are not helpful; say after being nice, the second one. But the reported flight time for the 920. That appeals too me. I am not saving any batteries. I am flying the crap out my drones. I see guys selling drones saying 2 hours flight time, or 15 or 20 hours. I have more than that since thursday. I have went through 6 typhoon h Batteries, 4 I 1, and 4 I2 just today. Plus used up 4 tello batteries when it started raining.

There’s a very detailed thread covering the highs and lows of the 920 Plus in the 920 forums. It covers all my pre and post purchase decisions and experiences. Rather than write it all over again, start there for 920 Plus info. No punches were pulled, Myself and others tell it like it is.

I like my 920+ very much, much more than my H, but it’s not perfect and certainly not for everyone.

So worth the money? And I did watch one of your videos already. This thread is more of a winnowing. As I said most of the posts are issues or the like. But not guys saying **** this is fun. My inspires? Fun. My h's? Fun. So real life, guys putting actual hours on their birds. And 920 = fun not really a good search parameter.

I shoot only video for my own projects as I start learning more for videography. I upgraded from the 480H to the H Plus for the camera, and it is well worth it. The difference between the C23 and CGO3 is astonishing. Additionally, the H Plus does fly better and the gimble may even be a bit better.

I have noticed the standard h does not like quick stops or fast turns. I get prop or even arms in the video, albeit briefly. It has happened with the pro too. They both have the same camera/gimbal.

So worth the money? And I did watch one of your videos already. This thread is more of a winnowing. As I said most of the posts are issues or the like. But not guys saying **** this is fun. My inspires? Fun. My h's? Fun. So real life, guys putting actual hours on their birds. And 920 = fun not really a good search parameter.

Not many people will spend the price of a 920 “for fun”. It’s not a sports car. Sure, you can turn the GPS off and fly around at 44mph and shoot good video, but that’s not what it was designed for. It was designed to shoot high quality video, and it does that well.

Do I have fun flying the 920? I certainly do when the surrounding conditions allow it, but some of the places it has been used have been white knuckle work, scary tight and extremely high risk, something the design handles well if the driver knows what they are doing. In such places there is no fun to be had as being carefree in such places can cause death. The 920 is a serious machine for serious players. If all you want to do is have fun, look at a different machine.

Reactions: Ren57
Not many people will spend the price of a 920 “for fun”. It’s not a sports car. Sure, you can turn the GPS off and fly around at 44mph and shoot good video, but that’s not what it was designed for. It was designed to shoot high quality video, and it does that well.

Do I have fun flying the 920? I certainly do when the surrounding conditions allow it, but some of the places it has been used have been white knuckle work, scary tight and extremely high risk, something the design handles well if the driver knows what they are doing. In such places there is no fun to be had as being carefree in such places can cause death. The 920 is a serious machine for serious players. If all you want to do is have fun, look at a different machine.

But I do spend that kind of money for fun. Serious machine for serious players? How about some just are into buying quality.

On that basis I suppose it's fair to ask what your definition of "fun" is? For those with the means, fun can be obtained doing crazy things with a Greyhound bus in a parking lot or a retired military jet fighter in uncontrolled airspace. If the disposable revenue is adequate the pleasures of any high ticket item can be experienced while calling what's being done "fun". For those of lessor means a go cart ride on a Saturday afternoon provides the same function. It's all relative.

My perspective has civilian drones as being purpose built, using tiers of affordability and reliability to entice buyers. I don't see the common manufacturers caring all that much about producing a high quality product, regardless of the price. What I see are manufacturers that have done a lot of data mining to establish the maximum price a large segment of people will pay for certain feature sets to produce products with just enough reliability to cause a large number people to buy them. For mass product sales targeting a limited market, production costs have to achieve the absolute minimum and doing that means some things will be sacrificed. The quality that assures reliability is usually the first thing to go. Those seeking a high reliability platform for any purpose would not buy anything typically discussed in common drone forums because they know they would be buying products designed around a law of minimums. Because of that they would spend a lot more to obtain a purpose built machine or system with much higher reliability and consistent performance. The more forward thinking would look at more expensive systems that provided a lot of expansion diversity. However, those people are not in the majority, which drives prices higher still due to lack of manufacturing scale. OTOH, those willing to make a few sacrifices while understanding design limitations would buy lessor quality, more or less "disposable" products, in order to quickly satisfy current needs.

You asked if i thought the 920+ was worth the money. The answer requires some qualification because it must be tailored to the individual. At what I paid for mine, roughly $4,400.00, it depends. If I lacked the ability to use a business to claim it as a tool deduction I'd say no. having the ability to depreciate a business asset evened things out quite a bit. At the current selling price the 920 Plus is a great value for what it can do for those willing to accept it for what it is. The original 920 sold for over $7,000.00 and for what it could do at that place in time it was an excellent value for those that needed those capabilities. The nearest price/performance comparisons at the time had selling prices, with cameras, starting at over $12,000.00. On a cost/benefit basis I don't see an Inspire 2, H-520, or H Plus being worth what they are currently selling for. For those to achieve what I view as a fair value their price would need to fall buy at least 1/3. I don't believe any system that locks the owner into using brand specific accessories being worth a high selling price. Nor do I believe commonly marketed "high sales volume" drones to have the quality they are being advertised as having.

So define your concept of fun and your perceived function needs and proceed from there. If you can afford anything, and afford to replace it immediately after a crash, you can have and do pretty much whatever you want. At that level there's not much need to qualify a purchase.

Last edited:
On that basis I suppose it's fair to ask what your definition of "fun" is? For those with the means, fun can be obtained doing crazy things with a Greyhound bus in a parking lot or a retired military jet fighter in uncontrolled airspace. If the disposable revenue is adequate the pleasures of any high ticket item can be experienced while calling what's being done "fun". For those of lessor means a go cart ride on a Saturday afternoon provides the same function. It's all relative.

My perspective has civilian drones as being purpose built, using tiers of affordability and reliability to entice buyers. I don't see the common manufacturers caring all that much about producing a high quality product, regardless of the price. What I see are manufacturers that have done a lot of data mining to establish the maximum price a large segment of people will pay for certain feature sets to produce products with just enough reliability to cause a large number people to buy them. For mass product sales targeting a limited market, production costs have to achieve the absolute minimum and doing that means some things will be sacrificed. The quality that assures reliability is usually the first thing to go. Those seeking a high reliability platform for any purpose would not buy anything typically discussed in common drone forums because they know they would be buying products designed around a law of minimums. Because of that they would spend a lot more to obtain a purpose built machine or system with much higher reliability and consistent performance. The more forward thinking would look at more expensive systems that provided a lot of expansion diversity. However, those people are not in the majority, which drives prices higher still due to lack of manufacturing scale. OTOH, those willing to make a few sacrifices while understanding design limitations would buy lessor quality, more or less "disposable" products, in order to quickly satisfy current needs.

You asked if i thought the 920+ was worth the money. The answer requires some qualification because it must be tailored to the individual. At what I paid for mine, roughly $4,400.00, it depends. If I lacked the ability to use a business to claim it as a tool deduction I'd say no. having the ability to depreciate a business asset evened things out quite a bit. At the current selling price the 920 Plus is a great value for what it can do for those willing to accept it for what it is. The original 920 sold for over $7,000.00 and for what it could do at that place in time it was an excellent value for those that needed those capabilities. The nearest price/performance comparisons at the time had selling prices, with cameras, starting at over $12,000.00. On a cost/benefit basis I don't see an Inspire 2, H-520, or H Plus being worth what they are currently selling for. For those to achieve what I view as a fair value their price would need to fall buy at least 1/3. I don't believe any system that locks the owner into using brand specific accessories being worth a high selling price. Nor do I believe commonly marketed "high sales volume" drones to have the quality they are being advertised as having.

So define your concept of fun and your perceived function needs and proceed from there. If you can afford anything, and afford to replace it immediately after a crash, you can have and do pretty much whatever you want. At that level there's not much need to qualify a purchase.

Actually you can qualify a lot of it. 520 package deal flies several minutes more than the standard h. Time in the air does matter. That is quantifiable. Will they fly further, higher, faster? Again measurable things. Is the software better? Is it a big company? If I call or email can they afford a staff to answer me?

And remember I am not asking about the consumer market drones. I am asking about commercial units. Commercial units as you rightly point out are expected to earn. Meaning they need to be in the air to do so. And even yuneec does not want to pay warranty work. They will of course. But they do not want too. So to keep it going pass the warranty date. You get slightly or much better motors. They beef it up so to speak. Because they expect it in the air working. More hours than a typical consumer model. It is why guys in the various forums say how great their formerly 3k inspires are still flying years later. And how that 100 dollar brand x is in the landfill.

Your questions are now working both sides of the aisle. Previously they were focused on having fun with no concern with the commercial aspect but now you're referencing commercial attributes. Which is most important to you? I also question whether or not we are being trolled with this discussion.

As I only fly line of sight I can't add any amplification for flying "further". Anything I fly has an effective range greater that its physical dimensions will permit me to see with the unaided eye. The larger they are the further I can see them.

920 flight time? Up to around 20 minutes with a pair of after market batteries and the stock camera. Remove the CGO-4 and use a CGO-3+ and flight time increases up to ~30 minutes. If you're satisfied with CGO3+ performance you can get great flight time.

How long will a system remain functional? Good question as I'm still flying systems bought or built 5 years ago. I haven't worn one out yet and haven't encountered anyone tht really has. Flight controllers don't go bad unless they get crashed or updated with bad code.

It comes down to what you want or need to do. That defines the product that would be most suitable. The "best" product for wide diversity is not made by Yuneec, DJI, Parrot, or Autel.

Your questions are now working both sides of the aisle. Previously they were focused on having fun with no concern with the commercial aspect but now you're referencing commercial attributes. Which is most important to you? I also question whether or not we are being trolled with this discussion.

As I only fly line of sight I can't add any amplification for flying "further". Anything I fly has an effective range greater that its physical dimensions will permit me to see with the unaided eye. The larger they are the further I can see them.

920 flight time? Up to around 20 minutes with a pair of after market batteries and the stock camera. Remove the CGO-4 and use a CGO-3+ and flight time increases up to ~30 minutes. If you're satisfied with CGO3+ performance you can get great flight time.

How long will a system remain functional? Good question as I'm still flying systems bought or built 5 years ago. I haven't worn one out yet and haven't encountered anyone tht really has. Flight controllers don't go bad unless they get crashed or updated with bad code.

It comes down to what you want or need to do. That defines the product that would be most suitable. The "best" product for wide diversity is not made by Yuneec, DJI, Parrot, or Autel.

So be cause I do not need them commercially. It means I would have no use for commercial attributes? I own 7 pickup trucks. 2 personal, 5 for my business. All F250's, do not need 3/4 ton trucks as a general rule. But on a handful of occasions I have. So I bought what I might need. And as I pointed out because it usually means they are specced out for more/heavier use. So a commercial unit with better motors. Would be better. The arms on the 920, would you say they are more robust than the smaller models? They certainly appear to be. So they would hold up longer, etcetra.

Today, I just left the western NC mountains. The standard h down in about 18/19 minutes. The inspire 1 the same. The h plus this morning faired better. About 24 minutes. And the I2. The I2 up the longest. So the more expensive, more commercial capable were up in the air more.

What is more fun for you? Up in the air is for me.

So be cause I do not need them commercially. It means I would have no use for commercial attributes?

That is pretty much what you stated in your first Post when you said the following. ;)

The commercial applications I do not need. **** I barely use what the ones I have can do now.

For anyone that has been flying long enough there is no simple answer to your question: 'Which aircraft is more fun'? Different strokes for different folks. All flyers; regardless of whether it is RC fixed wing, Rotary wing, or multi-rotors - will go through phases. There are guys here that have multiple platforms that they can bring out at different times and for different purposes. If you ask me that is the way to go - kinda like your truck fleet no? Having flown for 40 years, the days of getting a 'high' just from managing an aircraft into the air and back, is no longer a focus like it was in the early days. Now; doing things better and more precise gives me a sense of joy or; even planning a mission and getting it done quicker with less headache, and not to be outdone is - the never ending quest to make fewer and fewer mistakes - that keeps the fires lit for me.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
That is pretty much what you stated in your first Post when you said the following. ;)

For anyone that has been flying long enough there is no simple answer to your question: 'Which aircraft is more fun'? Different strokes for different folks. All flyers; regardless of whether it is RC fixed wing, Rotary wing, or multi-rotors - will go through phases. There are guys here that have multiple platforms that they can bring out at different times and for different purposes. If you ask me that is the way to go - kinda like your truck fleet no? Having flown for 40 years, the days of getting a 'high' just from managing an aircraft into the air and back, is no longer a focus like it was in the early days. Now; doing things better and more precise gives me a sense of joy or; even planning a mission and getting it done quicker with less headache, and not to be outdone is - the never ending quest to make fewer and fewer mistakes - that keeps the fires lit for me.

Yes what a business would use. Mapping capabilities, thermal cameras, and film capabilities. No need of those. Not going to spend hours editing a highlight reel of 8 year old soccer. Will show the in laws the footage of their grandchild. Bet they will not complain I did not use the apple pro res that came with the I2. They are fine with cell phone videos.

The OTHER commercial aspects, better motors, longer flight time, etcetra ANYONE would want or need. They being what would equate into more production for a business. And more fun for a consumer. That seems pretty clear. The very first drone I owned. A gift, a mini FX. Flies like crap, still own it, it was a gift after all. Battery life when you get it to fly straight. A minute and a half. More effort than fun. The tello? Better than 10 minutes and about 5 times the cost. But better than 5 times the fun.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Digitix