Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

UQestions, Questions, Questions...

Reaction score
Hello Crew,

I'm a lurking-newbie and I've found myself with a lot of questions that just reading and watching the available videos are not being fully answered.

So First, I purchased my Typhoon H back in 2016 with just a few extras such as batteries and the sort. I almost immediately purchased the "Real-Sense" module and installed it. After some indoors practice with bonding and testing the camera I decided to go out to a nearby park and try to fly. Well all went fine except I couldn't get consistent recorded video, on screen was all good, just inconsistent recording.
After landing, replacing the battery, re-calibrating the compass and verifying control of the aircraft I lifted off again. All seemed fine for the first few minutes until I attempted to use thee "HOME" function. The AC dropped altitude at a very rapid rate, more like an uncontrolled fall without a tumble. I quickly turned off the ""HOME" function and the AC stabilized back into control. I decided to bring the AC back to the starting/landing point but as it approached it began to sweep wildly left and right, made a high speed sweeping left turn and dove into the ground. The camera broke off of the slide mount and three of the propellers where broken, could have been worse I suppose. I packed everything up, ordered the replacement parts and waited. During this time I was deployed and had to leave before spending any further time with the AC.

I'm now returned, mostly intact and after a couple of months I've turned back to the Typhoon H. I've made the repairs, installed all of the Firmware upgrades, after some effort reconditioned and charged the batteries, have powered everything up and short of flying have performed all the pre-flight items.
Here are my questions: (1) Should the camera hang loose or be snug up ageists the rubber shocks?
(2) What is the difference between the Typhoon H and the Pro versions?
(3) What is the current Real-Sense Firmware version? Mine is version 1.10 .
(4) How much should I expect from the Real-Sense system?
(5) Are the external antenna upgrades really needed?
(6) Am I in over my head and should I find a mentor or class for this AC?

Okay, for now that's it. Thanks for your time and hopefully your constructive input.

Tks,
Dave

Hello Crew,

I'm a lurking-newbie and I've found myself with a lot of questions that just reading and watching the available videos are not being fully answered.

So First, I purchased my Typhoon H back in 2016 with just a few extras such as batteries and the sort. I almost immediately purchased the "Real-Sense" module and installed it. After some indoors practice with bonding and testing the camera I decided to go out to a nearby park and try to fly. Well all went fine except I couldn't get consistent recorded video, on screen was all good, just inconsistent recording.
After landing, replacing the battery, re-calibrating the compass and verifying control of the aircraft I lifted off again. All seemed fine for the first few minutes until I attempted to use thee "HOME" function. The AC dropped altitude at a very rapid rate, more like an uncontrolled fall without a tumble. I quickly turned off the ""HOME" function and the AC stabilized back into control. I decided to bring the AC back to the starting/landing point but as it approached it began to sweep wildly left and right, made a high speed sweeping left turn and dove into the ground. The camera broke off of the slide mount and three of the propellers where broken, could have been worse I suppose. I packed everything up, ordered the replacement parts and waited. During this time I was deployed and had to leave before spending any further time with the AC.

I'm now returned, mostly intact and after a couple of months I've turned back to the Typhoon H. I've made the repairs, installed all of the Firmware upgrades, after some effort reconditioned and charged the batteries, have powered everything up and short of flying have performed all the pre-flight items.
Here are my questions: (1) Should the camera hang loose or be snug up ageists the rubber shocks?
(2) What is the difference between the Typhoon H and the Pro versions?
(3) What is the current Real-Sense Firmware version? Mine is version 1.10 .
(4) How much should I expect from the Real-Sense system?
(5) Are the external antenna upgrades really needed?
(6) Am I in over my head and should I find a mentor or class for this AC?

Okay, for now that's it. Thanks for your time and hopefully your constructive input.

Tks,
Dave

1) If you reset the dampeners in correctly, the camera will be hanging from the dampeners, but they should not be loose, no. Check to be sure the grommet ends of the dampeners are fully through the holes in the mount. If one grommet end is not through the corresponding hole, the camera will likely still stay on, but the video will exhibit unsteadiness or jello. And yes there are only supposed to be two retaining pins in opposite corners. Many have shored up the other two corners loosely with small zip-ties. Do a search on the forum for this... since you're new to the board... this specific board has the search function somewhat in stealth mode... it's the little magnifying glass icon just above your username.

2) The Pro version has Real Sense, and also has the ST-16+ which comes with 3 external antennas, the Standard comes with the ST-16 with only 2 external antennas. The Pro also has plastic tubing over the external antennas on the bird.

3) Correct... RS 1.10 is current.

4) Can't comment... I have not used it other than once to see it work.

Check these more comprehensive online manuals... I think they both have added info on RS. I do know that one caveat with RS is flying in the direction of the sun at sunrise or sunset or with a lot of reflective surfaces... either decreases RS effectiveness.

Typhoon H manual

Typhoon H manual - cleaned Up and updated (70pgs)

5) ST-16 or bird?

6) You will need to let us know where you are, to see if there are other members in your area. There was a Pilots location map, but that is not currently available. There are courses out there, but they all focus on DJI products. It was a deterrent to my learning as well.

You mention that you had inconsistent recording... what microSD card were you using? The 16GB one that came with the H? Not good for smooth video... you should get a faster card. The key is the write speed. All the ads spout out the read speed... but when recording, the write speed is what's relevant. 80 MB p/s or better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Santec
Hello,

Well, thanks for the most awesome and prompt response(s) to my questions.

Okay first off, I'm in East San Diego County, for better or worse. It would be great to find other Typhoon H Pilots in the area that I could connect with, or at least in the So-Cal vicinity that I might be able to drive to on occasion. I'm certain that my learning curve would be improved with the guidance of an experienced Typhoon H pilot.

As far as the antenna upgrades, I'm working with the Typhoon H with the RS option added after purchase, so I suppose it's pseudo (Pro) or (+). The controller is the stock ST-16 with two antenna. My question is, will an antenna upgrade actually improve anything or is it an unnecessary diversion of money?

You where straight on with the camera mount issue. I failed to properly reinstall the dampers. That has been corrected and the camera is much more secure now, although I'm now wondering if further reinforcement of that entire slide on mounting system could be in order? Bigger, Stronger, Faster... right? LoL.

I'm presently using the stock battery charger and found that it took several attempts for it to bring the three packs I have to full charge, 16.3vdc. All three packs went into the blue light failure a couple of times. I had to install each pack, turn on the AC and allow the battery to deplete before they would properly charge. Now all three had been stored fully charged since December 2016 so I suppose I should be happy with the success I had... Do you recommend the LiPo storage bags I keep seeing? Are these batteries so unstable that overheating and worse is a real risk?

Well as I warned, I've lots of questions and I'd truly like to avoid a repeat of my first flight attempts. I got off easy that time and I've seen and read of much worse crashes costing the pilots hundreds to recover from.

Again, thanks for your obvious expert assistance not to mention the prompt response. I apologize for any mistake in protocol or procedure of the forum, I will to do my best to improve.

Safe travels to you and yours.

Dave S.

________________________________________________________________________________________

1) If you reset the dampeners in correctly, the camera will be hanging from the dampeners, but they should not be loose, no.
Check to be sure the grommet ends of the dampeners are fully through the holes in the mount. If one grommet end is not through
the corresponding hole, the camera will likely still stay on, but the video will exhibit unsteadiness or jello. And yes there are only supposed to be two retaining pins in opposite corners. Many have shored up the other two corners loosely with small zip-ties. Do a search on the forum for this... since you're new to the board... this specific board has the search function somewhat in stealth mode... it's the little magnifying glass icon just above your username.

2) The Pro version has Real Sense, and also has the ST-16+ which comes with 3 external antennas, the Standard comes with the ST-16 with only 2 external antennas. The Pro also has plastic tubing over the external antennas on the bird.

3) Correct... RS 1.10 is current.

4) Can't comment... I have not used it other than once to see it work.

Check these more comprehensive online manuals... I think they both have added info on RS. I do know that one caveat with RS is flying in the direction of the sun at sunrise or sunset or with a lot of reflective surfaces... either decreases RS effectiveness.

Typhoon H manual

Typhoon H manual - cleaned Up and updated (70pgs)

5) ST-16 or bird?

6) You will need to let us know where you are, to see if there are other members in your area. There was a Pilots location map, but that is not currently available. There are courses out there, but they all focus on DJI products. It was a deterrent to my learning as well.

You mention that you had inconsistent recording... what microSD card were you using? The 16GB one that came with the H? Not good for smooth video... you should get a faster card. The key is the write speed. All the ads spout out the read speed... but when recording, the write speed is what's relevant. 80 MB p/s or better.

The camera mount is more than adequate to remain attached during “normal” operations. If you don’t run into anything and land the aircraft, not “arrive” it will remain fixed for years. After a couple years flying a pair of H’s, neither has demonstrated any propensity to self separate.

Hello,

Well, thanks for the most awesome and prompt response(s) to my questions.

Okay first off, I'm in East San Diego County, for better or worse. It would be great to find other Typhoon H Pilots in the area that I could connect with, or at least in the So-Cal vicinity that I might be able to drive to on occasion. I'm certain that my learning curve would be improved with the guidance of an experienced Typhoon H pilot.

As far as the antenna upgrades, I'm working with the Typhoon H with the RS option added after purchase, so I suppose it's pseudo (Pro) or (+). The controller is the stock ST-16 with two antenna. My question is, will an antenna upgrade actually improve anything or is it an unnecessary diversion of money?

You where straight on with the camera mount issue. I failed to properly reinstall the dampers. That has been corrected and the camera is much more secure now, although I'm now wondering if further reinforcement of that entire slide on mounting system could be in order? Bigger, Stronger, Faster... right? LoL.

I'm presently using the stock battery charger and found that it took several attempts for it to bring the three packs I have to full charge, 16.3vdc. All three packs went into the blue light failure a couple of times. I had to install each pack, turn on the AC and allow the battery to deplete before they would properly charge. Now all three had been stored fully charged since December 2016 so I suppose I should be happy with the success I had... Do you recommend the LiPo storage bags I keep seeing? Are these batteries so unstable that overheating and worse is a real risk?

Well as I warned, I've lots of questions and I'd truly like to avoid a repeat of my first flight attempts. I got off easy that time and I've seen and read of much worse crashes costing the pilots hundreds to recover from.

Again, thanks for your obvious expert assistance not to mention the prompt response. I apologize for any mistake in protocol or procedure of the forum, I will to do my best to improve.

Safe travels to you and yours.

Dave S.

________________________________________________________________________________________

I appreciate it, but I'm no expert... was a complete newb to anything RC less than two years ago. The vast majority of my knowledge has come from this board... :)

As far as the antenna upgrade, I have not done it since my H was purchased with the 3 antenna ST-16+. If you are considering getting the upgrade done by an outside shop, I know there has been good feedback on Terrestrial Imaging for that install.

I'll address the camera mount issue in a minute but I want to address your battery situation... It is necessary for you to do the proper research on the LiPo batteries we use... a good place to start (beyond putting "Lipo Battery Care" into the forum search above), is:

A Guide to Understanding LiPo Batteries

So do I understand correctly that the batteries you are using currently were stored fully charged for a period of 2 years? That could be an issue. I do recommend Lipo storage bags. These batteries can under the right conditions catch fire, and the fire that results is very active and almost impossible to extinguish.

To care properly for these batteries, they must be stored at a lower storage voltage... for our H batteries that is usually about 3.85V per cell. To accomplish this, you need a charger that will provide a monitoring of each individual cell, and a programmed storage discharge feature. The stock charger does not provide that feature. The charger I use is:

https://www.amazon.com/EV-PEAK-Intelligent-Battery-Charger-Controller/dp/B06X9S1CFM

and have gotten good results with.

As far as the camera mount... other than 2 additional zip ties, I would not recommend further modification. There are two designed breakaway points in this gimbal, in case of a specific type of crash, where the H is tumbling. In this scenario, the camera (most expensive component) can separate from the body of the airframe, which is good in that the camera itself has much less mass and less kinetic energy to expend... resulting in less potential damage to the CGO3+.

One designed breakaway point is the setup of those gimbal dampeners... with only two pins reinforcing the rubber grommets it just enough to hold everything together, yet give way relatively quickly under any impact, to allow the camera to go off separately. The problem with that scenario, is that those 3 connecting wires will get ripped away as well.

The second designed breakaway point is what some have described as that flimsy plastic rail on the top of the gimbal that actually attaches to the airframe. Again, more than strong enough to secure the camera in normal operating conditions, but will break away under all but the most minor impacts. The difference is... if the rail gives way, your camera wires will likely remain intact

I have used the zip-tie solution, since this difference was pointed out to me. If I have the choice to simply replace the rail plate in a minor crash or play with trying to re-solder ripped out wires, I'll choose the former. Any more serious crash will go out to be repaired by competent techs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Santec and rdonson
So, another question, As the DataPilot program will not work with the Typhoon H, is there any other similar software that will? I'd hate to think that this AC is nothing more then a fancy toy for taking vacation photos. LoL

Tks,

Dave

I believe I saw a post about DataPilot working with the 520... we will have to wait to see what apps will be compatible with the H+ when released. For most major apps such as DroneDeploy, it is DJI or nothing... don't hold your breath on Yuneec product support for the majority of 3rd party apps.

Last edited:
4) I have RealSense on one of my TH - I've used it on only a few occasions

FAQ Typhoon H with RealSense

It does add extra forward facing sensors and two downward sonar cameras.

It's biggest uses are in "Watch Me" and "Follow Me" flight modes.

The two downward sonar camera will keep you from landing with the gear up. A number of people forget this and panic when trying to land.

The least documented use is in IPS mode. Indoor Positioning System. By indoors they mean a LARGE indoor setting. Its tricky and not for the faint of heart.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430