Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Using the Trim Function - Cruise Control

Using the trim for cruise control is the most used function on every one of my machines. Once mastered it makes even shots that incorporate directional changes easy to perform. It's quite easy to fly a curved path using the trim controls.

The Academy Award for this years best video goes to Ty Pilot. I've used this on every flight since it was available as you've pointed out you can essentially get the same shots as when you have a camera operator and separate pilot. What I did not know was that for who knows whatever reason that by initiating the pad features it to auto camera settings. I've also found that I can adjust speed changes
while shooting using the turtle rabbit slider while running off the pad. Thanks for producing videos with such high production values and great audio courtesy of Sennheiser. Bravo Got any ideas on how to modify T3 and T4 to decrease or increase increments of each pad touch?

Reactions: Windluv and Bob J
Thanks guys, glad you like it. @Mickeyboo , I've not really tried to get any deeper into the rates and programming as far as changing the increments of the trim pad. I've sort of come to the conclusion that the H's quirk in regards to needing about 18% of right stick movement is just the way it is and it probably wont change. This is why I did the broken rate curve and gave up on traditional expo; it just delays far too long the point of initial movement - best just to hit that point and move on.:) I think Yuneec intentionally designed the 3% step into the trim function on purpose to mask this fact. Some new users when told about the trim pad, claim their's doesn't work, because it take about five taps in either direction to start movement. If it were less percent (like one) it would take 18 taps and that might make the function a little less desirable perhaps.

Oh and I use Sony Wireless for live audio and an Audio-Technica Cardioid Condenser Mic for the voice over stuff. ;)

Thanks for the tip how enabling the trim pad resets the camera settings on the H-480. It doesn't happen that way on the 920+ as it maintains whatever setting you dialed in pretty much regardless of anything else going on.

Both of my 480's require 3 taps of a trim button to initiate any movement and that movement is extremely slow. 5 taps gets things moving at a rate that is more easily discernible. Of course more taps goes incrementally faster.

Any of you used the trim pad to fly "arcs" or offset for crosswinds yet? That can work out pretty neat. Establish the basic direction desired then alter that direction with the side buttons.

You're welcome. Yeah that reset thing is a slight pain if you forget but once you put it in the preflight check, its all good. I think on mine, the rate curve is causing me to need about five taps, which I've just gotten used to.

Pat that's quite interesting regarding 920 holding settings. A few weeks ago or perhaps now a couple months ago people were loading the 920 profile for their H's to get the built in mission feature. I wonder if you loaded the 920 profile it would also maintain settings on the H? I get so tired of continually having to reset the manual camera settings especially when I'm shooting something which is time sensitive and I've just reloaded a battery. I have an old H which I will have to try that on.

You're welcome. Yeah that reset thing is a slight pain if you forget but once you put it in the preflight check, its all good. I think on mine, the rate curve is causing me to need about five taps, which I've just gotten used to.
I agree Ty, I have the rate curve installed and prior to that I only had to tap once. At first I thought it was a calibration issue but I think it is definitely rate curve setting change.

I've used the trim controls for quite a while. I found out about them through a firmware update but mostly from one of the user enhanced manuals for the H.

I use them to set myself up to slowly look down on a specific feature such as practicing lining up over a silo with no top over it in a nearby park. I also use it like Ty Pilot has shown in his video although I'm not as good at that as he is (yet ;)) but working on it.

The left side pad is required for setting up the camera for WB, ISO and SS.

As Ty Pilot says it's all part of my preflight.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
Thanks for the tip how enabling the trim pad resets the camera settings on the H-480. It doesn't happen that way on the 920+ as it maintains whatever setting you dialed in pretty much regardless of anything else going on.

Both of my 480's require 3 taps of a trim button to initiate any movement and that movement is extremely slow. 5 taps gets things moving at a rate that is more easily discernible. Of course more taps goes incrementally faster.

Any of you used the trim pad to fly "arcs" or offset for crosswinds yet? That can work out pretty neat. Establish the basic direction desired then alter that direction with the side buttons.
Hi Pat, I didn't really understand that: "Establish the basic direction desired then alter that direction with the side buttons" Pls explain.. :)

The top and bottom buttons are foreword and aft, the side buttons are left or right. Most people would make use of any one button to get things going in a given direction. I forgot to mention that once moving, a button opposite the original button direction acts as a speed reduction button.

So let’s say we just got the H moving forward with the top button. Now it’s going forward but you see it drifting off the track you wanted it to follow because of a cross wind you weren’t aware of.

There are a couple ways to deal with that. You can use the sticks to re-aim the aircraft to track directly into the wind but doing that takes it out of cruise control. Of course you could re-enter that if desired.

Another way once that forward cruise had been set would be to tap the side button on the windward side of the forward track to make the H crab into the wind. Still nose forward but with a little pull towards the windward side. The nose will still be pointing as it had when CC was initiated but the aircraft will fly forward with a directional offset into the wind. Most of the directional vector is forward with a small side vector into the wind. Sort of like “slipping” a fix wing. The nose stays on point but the air vehicle crabs into the wind to maintain track.

Of course once in the air we can establish any crosswind component and just fly into it and offset the camera. Just depends on how much time and distance you have and need to work that out. Problem is the wind above ground is usually different in direction and velocity than what it was at ground level. Sometimes it’s easier just to add a little crab into the forward directional component.

Last edited:
Reactions: NorWiscPilot
As a follow up to the Curve Cable Cam video, I made this video showing the use of Trim Function to get various sliding shots. It also covers the HD screen recorder that I mentioned in the last video as well as some other items.

Where did you get that controller setup??

Thats what the video is all about - did you watch it?;) When you say controller setup, it is comprised of many different parts each is talked about in some detail, also if you click the Youtube link on the player above it will take you to watch the video on Youtube - below it is a description with a link to everything you see.

I am late to the party, no excuses. Thought 'cruise control' for my Mom in her Ford Fairlane.

Was I ever wrong.

I read this thread about a month ago and had it on my target list to try; went flying this past Sunday and had a blast!

What a revelation!

Out 2000', 15 feet off the deck, crawling at 1.5 mph following a small channel in a delta with only the trim 'pitch and roll'. I don't know if you can call them pitch and roll as you do not pitch or roll but rather forward, backward, left and right. Control was excellent; I was able to really focus on the shot where the sun was reflecting in the channel with some geese watching the H troll around. Some of the best video with regards to smoothness of the shot, capturing those 10 second sequences with no issues, and relaxing. At one point actually reversed direction to backup, left-right to center, reframe the shot and move forward again using only the trim. Awesome!

Was also able to add a couple ticks to the left or right to correct for wind in the bay (as Pat alluded to). So much easier!

Next, working on separate camera pans while flying FPV which was never in the wheel-house before.

Thanks Ty for a great video!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430