Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Venom Pro Dual Settings for H batteries

Reaction score
Hey folks,

My new Venom Pro Dual arrived today and I am hoping that someone who also owns one can share the settings they use for charging, discharging, and storing the TH's batteries -- and also best practices for when I should discharge and put a battery into storage.

Also, when charging the ST16 battery, I assume I need to disconnect and remove it from the controller in order to charge it with the Venom as the venom does not have a USB connection.

Greatly appreciated!!

-Chris

Set timer cut off for 1.5 hours, charge rate for 1C. Same rate for storage discharge mode. Set mA cutoff for about 1000 mA more than labelled capacity.

Reactions: h1pst3r88
That’s a fairly common practice and gets the -16 done faster than the stock charger. Just remember the ideal charge rate for the -16 lion battery is 0.7C, not 1C like used for a lipo. A Venom charger has adjustable charge rates, phone and tablet chargers don’t, so pick your charging tool as you feel appropriate.

-- and also best practices for when I should discharge and put a battery into storage.

You are going to want to bring your batteries to storage voltage, anytime you do not expect to be flying within 2 days. It takes much longer to discharge on the charger, so if you have any unused batteries, just run them down to 14.5V with the H, before packing up... that way, the total time to place each at storage levels will be under 30 minutes.

Ok, I am a little slow on some of the lingo (I'm working on it ;-)

Regarding configuring the Venom Pro for the H batteries, and wanting to neither destroy my batteries or burn my house down) what do I set the amps and volts to. Here's a pic (and do I set all of these at the same value for Charge, Balance, Fast Charge, Storage, and Discharge)?

Should amps be set for 5.4 (meaning 5400 mAh) and should volts be set for 14.8 (like the H battery says it is)?

I got confused when I read the back of the OEM battery where it says "never charge over 4.2v per cell).

Apologies in advance for the rookie question!

Attachments

• 20181014_082556.jpg
    20181014_082556.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 35
You have two different types of batteries with two different capacities. Before you do anything else, go to the Typhoon H “How To” forum and read the Lipo Battery Care thread in the top of page stickies. You might also want to visit www.batteryuniversity.com to gain more battery knowledge. Also read the instructions for the Venom charger. You need a broad base understanding of how to handle batteries, not a step by step instruction for one set up. If you don’t understand “the lingo” the process of writing instructions and you understanding them is difficult for those wanting to help.

I am not worried about the ST16 battery, I will simply continue to use the OEM charger via USB for that.

I am asking specifically about the OEM batteries for the H. I know folks here use it, I just want to know their settings (that they know work well from their experience).

-C

I gave them to you in an earlier post but if you did not understand “the lingo” you probably would not recognize the info for what it was.

Chargers should always be set up to deal with the correct cell type and count, which establishes voltage, with the charge rate decided upon by the user prior to initiating a charge or discharge. That rate is dependent battery capacity and type. Using a lipo battery of 14.8v (4S) and 1000mA, a safe and accepted charge rate of 1C would be used. That method extends to most lipo batteries in any size unless they are labelled they will tolerate higher charge rates. In the previous sentence I provided what you need to do to set up for charging a 1000mA, 14.8v 4S battery. It’s now up to you to learn “the lingo” in order to make use of it.

Helping people is one thing, spoon feeding them to use by rote is another. One helps them understand while the other restricts them to limited applications. People that don’t understand what they are involved with or doing inevitably screw things up. The info you must understand has already been written so many times they made permanent reference threads that stay “on top” with the info people need to learn. There’s no reason to write them again and again when newbies can easily read what’s in those threads.

I was asking for some charger specific settings from someone who has the same charger. If that's not you, then you're not the audience to whom I was asking.

If that is you, did you not yet have morning coffee? Just wondering how the self-righteous curmudgeonly comments seemed appropriate to you.

As I teach both my kids and my employees, if a body of knowledge is new to you, ask folks who know more. Questions are hardly an indication of needing "rote spoon feeding"; just the opposite in fact, humility and curiosity are the prerequisites of knowledge and wisdom.

No worries, I got the answer from someone else, sans the insults.

Reactions: xi-elf and msota84
I have directed you, and others, to vast sources of information specific to the topic you need to learn in order to become better educated. The chargers all function in the same general manner with only minor differences in their programming method. Venom, Hitec, Yuneec, etc., all use the same basic settings, and the same terminology.

You absolutely must know what things like “S” and “C” relate to, along with how cell voltage is rated to establish how “S” affects voltage and the relativity of mA to A establishes “C”. It has nothing to do with my morning coffee but certainly has a lot to do with breaking a chain of laziness, impulsiveness, and product ignorance. From this point I’ll only suggest you RTM to figure out the charger. If you don’t want to understand your batteries that’s fine, it’s your wallet, aircraft, and Heaven forbid, your home. Again, I’ve already told you how to set up the charger but you don’t seem to want to understand what you’ve been told.

Reactions: AH-1G
I was asking for some charger specific settings from someone who has the same charger. If that's not you, then you're not the audience to whom I was asking.

If that is you, did you not yet have morning coffee? Just wondering how the self-righteous curmudgeonly comments seemed appropriate to you.

As I teach both my kids and my employees, if a body of knowledge is new to you, ask folks who know more. Questions are hardly an indication of needing "rote spoon feeding"; just the opposite in fact, humility and curiosity are the prerequisites of knowledge and wisdom.

No worries, I got the answer from someone else, sans the insults.

giphy37.gif

Reactions: BigAl07
I prefer that people don’t do something a certain way because I said to do it so. I prefer they understand why they should do it so. Understanding the why requires more time and effort than I’m willing to give it, especially if the subject matter is extremely well documented, easily available, and directions provided where to find it. If they understand the reasons why they know the directions were correct, or not, and follow those directions, or not. I don’t need to deal with people asking “why” after getting the answer to question after question.

Sure, me or someone else could tell you to set the charger to balance charge with cell count, establishing voltage, with charge/discharge time cut off, along with max allowable input, but you won’t know why and self limit the available functionality of the charger to performing but a single function. You’ll have to ask the same questions all over again if you use a different size or type battery, or desire to perform a different service function.

BYW, I wasn’t insulting you, just telling it like it is. Hopefully you invest the time and effort to understand how the aircraft and flight system works. If you don’t the results will not be what you want.

Reactions: BigAl07
This seems more like a you thing than a me thing... but sure.

A side note: I've play jazz guitar for 25 years. When another guitarist asks me how I played a certain solo at a gig, I tell them there's a lot of embedded knowledge beneath it, and that the journey is one that they have to take in their own way to find their voice. I have to say that because there's so much important knowledge that goes into being able to play jazz with one's own voice -- not unlike what you are saying about truly understanding my H, charger and batteries. I get it.

However, if the same person asks me the chord progression of the tune I just played or what chord inversions or harmonic substitutions I used, that's easy, I can tell them exactly the answer to their question.

I always share that knowledge willingly because I can help them on their journey -- and many musicians have helped me along my journey. I took their knowledge and it helped me in the process of my own discovery just as I continue to help others.

I didn't ask the forum (or you specifically, PatR) how to fly a drone or to explain why different batteries have different chemistry or some abstraction or interpretation. I simply asked for the "chord progression" of my specific charger.

That you chose to provide a more general answer (and continue to justify your rationale for doing so), again, says more about you than it does me.

I've have been self-deprecating, grateful, and gracious in my week of membership here. If you have an axe to grind, go grind it, but for me this thread is played (like a bad jazz solo).

@h1pst3r88
He doesn't have an axe to grind with you!
Since you are new here, you haven't read many of his post, this is how @PatR expresses himself.
He's a brilliant person, so clam down play a solo and relax..

Last edited:
Why would I take a deep breath, except to catch it from laughing. That some people are pedantic and self-righteous to the point of borderline offensive doesn't make me angry, it makes me smile and wonder what their specific needs are.

I employ a team of engineers, among others; if the world worked the way engineers see it we'd all be in trouble. Relational intelligence is ultimately one of the only ones that matters. That some folks don't have it isn't worth getting worked up about, it's worth shaking one's head about and smiling.

I'm sure PatR is an absolutely splendid fellow, just like my engineers are, but not exactly the type that understands a light touch, nor the type I'd want in my jazz quintet where relational intelligence is everything.

Put on some Wes Montgomery and grab a nice glass of Bordeaux... it's all good.

Reactions: msota84
"Relational intelligence is ultimately one of the only ones that matters".

Hmmm, it's best if, the wise listen and increase their learning; let the person of understanding receive guidance.

I’m certainly not a millennial, so everyone does not get a trophy. I’m what is called straight up and call ‘em as I see ‘em. Dealt with engineers the same way. They didn’t like it either but most learned they benefitted when they listened.

The difference between what I was trying to do and the chord progression analogy is that with the chord progression you show them visually. Battery and charger visual references already exist in the reference sources provided.

Good luck and good flying.

The difference between what I was trying to do and the chord progression analogy is that with the chord progression you show them visually.
Good luck and good flying.

Well, no.

For what it's worth, a chord progression is exactly like the charger settings I asked for when I started this thread. This is how a musician communicates a progression (we don't show, we tell)

3-6-2-5-1 in Bb

Chord inversions are the same:

Dominant 2nd > Root > Dominant 3rd > Dominant 1st

Harmonic Subs are the same:

7th > b9th > 13th > flat5 > 11th

Answers are easy to help folks with if the one who knows them is willing to share.

Incidentally, all is good with my new charger and H batteries. 5.4a at 14.8v (4s); close to the settings I posted a pic of; amps at 1C...(capacity divided by 1000) even though the OEM batt is 6300mAh. This is for charge mode, quick charge mode, and balance mode in the Venom.

Storage mode should be between 3.7 and 3.85 per cell or between 14.8 and 15.4 per pack. Safety timer at 120mins. Storage voltage at 1v (or the max of the Venom Pro).

Looks like I will charge in balance mode most times but not always as there's some overhead to the pack when balancing.

If I'm wrong I'm happy to be corrected... though the folks at Venom confirmed that my understanding of the OEM H batteries was spot on.

Knowledge is fun... now go forth and share!

[Drops mic]

Last edited:
I’m certainly not a millennial, so everyone does not get a trophy.

Wait, you mean trophies like these??

Our sons play, my wife and I coach. Coaches teach and share knowledge, that's how we make champions out of kiddos.

We don't do participation trophies... and I am definitely not a millennial.

20181015_214959.jpg20181015_215046.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yeezygaphoodie