Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Video Feed Intermittent

Reaction score
Hey everyone out there. I went out of town for a job that my company was contracted to shoot. I get there setup, and get ready to launch, the compass said it wasn't getting a strong heading/signal, and that I would have to to fly manually(not a problem). So I get in the air, video to the ST16 is fine, start recording, video is fine for a bit and then it goes in and out, Like it freezes and it takes a bit for the transmission to get to the screen on the ST16. Now I'm shooting a location with lots of metal, metal buildings(iron) loads of drill pipe and iron all over the place, this is a drilling rig that I'm trying to shoot. Not to mention they have wifi broadcasting and it it's in this small area that I'm trying to shoot. I get home today and test it out. everything is fine. Would anyone know what I can do to prevent this from happening again, as I have other jobs to do from that company and I'm going back to reshoot from Saturday. Any suggestions and tips are appreciated.

Hey LaunchPad,

Sounds like a very challenging environment indeed.

Question: How close are you, with your ST16, to all this metal? Are you in the middle of it or are you a ways away?

I don't have any distances in mind, just thinking putting some more distance between the ST16 and the subject area might help. Might need to employ a visual observer or two if the distance becomes large enough.

Jeff

Reactions: LaunchPad
Hey LaunchPad,

Sounds like a very challenging environment indeed.

Question: How close are you, with your ST16, to all this metal? Are you in the middle of it or are you a ways away?

I don't have any distances in mind, just thinking putting some more distance between the ST16 and the subject area might help. Might need to employ a visual observer or two if the distance becomes large enough.

Jeff

Yeah I'm in the middle of it, I might have to be off the location and try it like that. That is what I was going to try when I went back and confirm it.

I added an aftermarket antenna for video just for that reason. It helps improve the signal strength.

Is this a contract that is going to be repeated? Other locations with similar setups? You may want to consider getting a second camera with a longer lens, to be able to put greater distance between all that metal and the H itself. But depending on what you are shooting, having a longer lens can present other video challenges.

Is this a contract that is going to be repeated? Other locations with similar setups? You may want to consider getting a second camera with a longer lens, to be able to put greater distance between all that metal and the H itself. But depending on what you are shooting, having a longer lens can present other video challenges.
Yeah, I have 2 more jobs with them. Not sure if they will be the same site or not. But they are interested in doing more in the future.
Well most on-shore rigs are the same set-up generally. Especially if they have the casing/drill pipe on the racks.

By any chance, were you and the H in a straight line with each other and the subject? I ask this because I’ve experienced similar performance when shooting a steel hulled ship. Moving myself off to the side and breaking a straight line path between the ST-16, the H, and the ship resolved it.

By any chance, were you and the H in a straight line with each other and the subject? I ask this because I’ve experienced similar performance when shooting a steel hulled ship. Moving myself off to the side and breaking a straight line path between the ST-16, the H, and the ship resolved it.

Yes, I have been aware that if the antennas aren't in direct line with each other the feed gets a bit choppy, even when I'm in my front yard and the H is behind my house it gets that way. So, like you are saying, I thought of this as well, mind you it isn't a solid obstacle, but I had tried getting in direct line, and moved closer almost under, to get better transmission, and still nothing. I'm going back to reshoot tomorrow, so I'm going to run a few tests, and the phantom to see if I have the same issues as well. Hopefully all goes well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHYradio