Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Video File Format and Transfer Question

Reaction score
I did a flight yesterday at a friends house who lives on a beautiful golf course. I shot what appeared on the ST16 as some beautiful video for the entire 15 minute flight. When downloading the video to my PC, the SD card showed 2 MP4 files, 1 at 1.75 GB and the other at 1.4 GB which I've found to be typical for shooting at the highest resolution for a flight of 15 minutes. I understand that the clips are limited to 1.75 GB each.

When on the SD card, the clips showed up with the standard MP4 video icon. I then moved both files to my PC as I always do and now the second file is shown to be compressed differently and can't be opened. I now realize that this happens routinely where that last file on the list gets changed somehow and can't be opened. I never picked on this until now because I generally load up the SD card before transferring, plus I'm a beginner and practicing. However, in this case I really want to share the clip of the entire flight with my friend and can't.

Does anyone have any insight as to what might be happening?

Thanks

Sounds like you failed to stop recording with the last video. It's the only way I know to always corrupt the last file. You must start and stop every video with the record button. If you are still recording as you land you must stop the recording before shutting down the H.

When the video controls are used correctly all video files can be opened. If the files are still on the SD card you can try booting up the H with the card in the camera, then start and stop a new video. It doesn't have to fly. There's a chance the system will properly close out the last video and render it a functional file. Note, this action has no guarantee of success.

I believe PatR is spot on. This happened to me and now i ensure i stop recording before landing...giving the H / ST16 plenty of time to close the file.

I also try and keep my videos short, and then add together in DaVinci 12.5. This stops the system clipping a file where you may not want it to...can save time in post.

Reactions: BeeRAD56
Sounds like you failed to stop recording with the last video. It's the only way I know to always corrupt the last file. You must start and stop every video with the record button. If you are still recording as you land you must stop the recording before shutting down the H.

When the video controls are used correctly all video files can be opened. If the files are still on the SD card you can try booting up the H with the card in the camera, then start and stop a new video. It doesn't have to fly. There's a chance the system will properly close out the last video and render it a functional file. Note, this action has no guarantee of success.
Thank you very much! That is exactly what I've been doing wrong. I also followed your advice to save the file from yesterday and it worked. I'm very grateful!

I believe PatR is spot on. This happened to me and now i ensure i stop recording before landing...giving the H / ST16 plenty of time to close the file.

I also try and keep my videos short, and then add together in DaVinci 12.5. This stops the system clipping a file where you may not want it to...can save time in post.
Thank you sir. This was the problem and makes total sense. I will now make stopping the video part of my landing checklist. Also, PatR's advice for saving the video from yesterday worked, so I am a happy camper!

It isn't really necessary to make short clips. Even though the camera will start a new clip every 5 minutes, when you put them in the editor and put the clips together they will be seamless.

Reactions: BeeRAD56
yeh, i forgot to stop recording when trying to video in 4k for the 1st time. i tried opening the video and i kind of crashed my laptop. can't remember the error. put card back in the bird and took 2 more video's. 1 in 4k the other in 1080. tried to open the 4k file and no go. same error. i'll put a sticky note on my forehead next time i fly.Tried it again-- just because i could-- "Video TDR Failure" is the error.

Last edited:
yeh, i forgot to stop recording when trying to video in 4k for the 1st time. i tried opening the video and i kind of crashed my laptop. can't remember the error. put card back in the bird and took 2 more video's. 1 in 4k the other in 1080. tried to open the 4k file and no go. same error. i'll put a sticky note on my forehead next time i fly.Tried it again-- just because i could-- "Video TDR Failure" is the error.
While my computer, on the face of it, won't handle native 4K I've found that I can still open 4K footage in my editor which makes me think that the viewer I'm using to try and see the native 4K footage isn't up to it.

try opening the file in your editor rather than your default viewer.

Reactions: Ddraiggoch

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval