Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Video range- terrible!

Reaction score
Hey all. Newb here. Been flying self-built quads for years, but recently bought a used q500+ from a guy at the local RC car track.
I've only flown it a couple times so far. This time I took it out about 250 feet and the video signal froze. Brought it back near me and I regained video feed. Did the same thing again, same result. I was flying at about 50 feet altitued. Im wondering, at this relatively low altitude, and in a dense neighborhood with tons of Wi-Fi, is it normal to have such horrible video range, or does it sound more like there's a problem with something?
Thanks in advance for the help!

No you will need to upgrade the antenna on the ST10+ italie antenna will sort that problem also sometimes it also depends on atmospheric conditions aswell

Hey all. Newb here. Been flying self-built quads for years, but recently bought a used q500+ from a guy at the local RC car track.
I've only flown it a couple times so far. This time I took it out about 250 feet and the video signal froze. Brought it back near me and I regained video feed. Did the same thing again, same result. I was flying at about 50 feet altitued. Im wondering, at this relatively low altitude, and in a dense neighborhood with tons of Wi-Fi, is it normal to have such horrible video range, or does it sound more like there's a problem with something?
Thanks in advance for the help!
Try taking it to a wide open area and fly...it just may solve the issue

Thanks for the replies fellas. I'll try and take it somewhere more open and see what happens. I'll also try it again here at a higher elevation and see if that makes any difference.
Another thing I noticed, it seems to take a long time to connect the video signal between the quad and the controller. Maybe like half a minute or more longer than the control connection. Is that normal?
And last, where would I get an italie antenna?
Thanks.

Thanks for the replies fellas. I'll try and take it somewhere more open and see what happens. I'll also try it again here at a higher elevation and see if that makes any difference.
Another thing I noticed, it seems to take a long time to connect the video signal between the quad and the controller. Maybe like half a minute or more longer than the control connection. Is that normal?
Thanks.
I have flown out 2500 ft and still had video. I was at about 100ft and nothing in front of me but flat land. Standard Antenna on the St10 + I would think you should do much better than you did. Perhaps a higher altitude?

When you were that far out did it look like a mosquito or something smaller?;)

Something alot smaller it was over my pals farm then just hit the RTH as began to panic as visually I could not see it even tho I still had full control and video so now I know what the antenna can do I don't need to go that far again

Reactions: Docvfr
Thanks.
Make certain the front of the ST10 is facing the Q500. The video generally does much better in an open area with less wifi congestion. It's somewhat common to loose video when you turn the aircraft. The video antenna is inside the camera just above the lens.
Installing an Itelite antenna on the ST10 will definitely improve the signal strength but they sell for about $110. You might find a used one.

I sent my ST10+ to Germany to copter.eu I was €150 that was supplied and fitted I know people do it them self's but I was not 100% confident so shipped it out to get done

Thanks again for the replies guys. I'll report back after I try a higher altitude and less Wi-Fi congested area.
I may invest in the upgraded antenna, would be nice to have the extended range, even if I don't use close to all of it.
Does the antenna on the camera need to be upgraded too?

Thanks again for the replies guys. I'll report back after I try a higher altitude and less Wi-Fi congested area.
I may invest in the upgraded antenna, would be nice to have the extended range, even if I don't use close to all of it.
Does the antenna on the camera need to be upgraded too?
I wouldn't mess with the camera antenna. I modified one camera with an external antenna but it wasn't worth the effort. The biggest improvement will be on the controller.

BTW, if you lose video and can't tell the orientation of the Q500, just push the right stick in the same direction that the green arrow is pointing. That will fly it home. When the green arrow is pointing straight up, the nose is facing you.

Reactions: Rcdunn
The green arrow is only visible when you are in Angle mode. In Smart mode, pulling the right stick back always brings the Q back to the controller.

Thanks. I've only been flying it in angle mode, I've been flying for a while so it's no problem. And I grew up driving RC cars, so it's instinctual for me that the controls are reversed when headed toward me.
I love the arrow for telling orientation though, super handy to have!

Reactions: Steve Carr
I did some flying in my neighborhood last night and got a bit better results. This time I took it up to 200' for one test and 400' for another. In both cases, I got out about 600+ feet before the video signal froze. A lot better than 200-something.
End of this week we're headed to my mom's house, she lives in a much less congested area, minimum lot size of 1/2 acre, so I'll try it there too and see how it goes.

I'll probably pull the trigger on the ITELITE antenna. I do most of my flying at night in my neighborhood because it's hard for me to get out to fly, so some more range would be great.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kubetlegal