Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Video signal loss

Reaction score
What antenna is best to use for the video, round or rectangular? What is difference between the ST16 with two antennas and ST16 with three antennas?

What antenna is best to use for the video, round or rectangular? What is difference between the ST16 with two antennas and ST16 with three antennas?
What antenna is best to use for the video, round or rectangular?
The round does not provide as much range, but it does not need to be precisely aimed at the drone. The flat provides greater range, but must be accurately aimed at the drone. Video loss will occur suddenly if you inadvertently point the flat antenna away from the drone. It's a trade off. Which is "best" is different according to the specific use at the time.

What is difference between the ST16 with two antennas and ST16 with three antennas?
Not much. The older ST16 also has three antennas. The third is inside the case where you can't see it.

What antenna is best to use for the video, round or rectangular?
The round does not provide as much range, but it does not need to be precisely aimed at the drone. The flat provides greater range, but must be accurately aimed at the drone. Video loss will occur suddenly if you inadvertently point the flat antenna away from the drone. It's a trade off. Which is "best" is different according to the specific use at the time.

What is difference between the ST16 with two antennas and ST16 with three antennas?
Not much. The older ST16 also has three antennas. The third is inside the case where you can't see it.

thanks for the update, what can I purchase to increase video range? Seems like the video range is not consistent with remote control signal range? What about the antennas show in attachment, will they provide better video and control transmission?

Attachments

• Typhoon Antennas.JPG
    Typhoon Antennas.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 36
Seems like the video range is not consistent with remote control signal range?
There is a reason for that. Loss of video lets you know you are also nearing the end of control range. Some have increased video range without sufficient increase in control range. The result is you have a great view from a drone you can no longer control. You can only hope the system's automatic response will work for the conditions of the event. If you turn off or loose GPS, pretty much all you can do is throw it a kiss good bye.

I'm no expert in aftermarket antennas or boosters. There are some related discussions that you may be able to find using the search feature.

One of the best. I take it your US? So you have more power than EU Firmware, which can be a pain, this pretty much eliminated my issues.

There is a reason for that. Loss of video lets you know you are also nearing the end of control range. Some have increased video range without sufficient increase in control range. The result is you have a great view from a drone you can no longer control. You can only hope the system's automatic response will work for the conditions of the event. If you turn off or loose GPS, pretty much all you can do is throw it a kiss good bye.

I'm no expert in aftermarket antennas or boosters. There are some related discussions that you may be able to find using the search feature.
"Throw it a kiss goodbye"??? does the Typhoon H not know when it has reached end of transmission range and turn back like Mavic Pro? You would think the TH would know or at least warn when at or near the end of transmission range?

One of the best. I take it your US? So you have more power than EU Firmware, which can be a pain, this pretty much eliminated my issues.

When you say "one of the best" are you speaking about the antennas I asked about? If so what benefits did you notice? I have the US firmware

"Throw it a kiss goodbye"??? does the Typhoon H not know when it has reached end of transmission range and turn back like Mavic Pro? You would think the TH would know or at least warn when at or near the end of transmission range?
Yes the Typhoon H will go into an auto loiter mode on control signal loss and hover in place. After certain conditions are met it will perform an auto RTH.

What was said is if GPS is lost or turned off and you no longer have a control connection the aircraft is at the mercy of the wind. The very same thing can be said for the Mavic in all of its forms. If you find that hard to believe just go visit MavicPilots forum and start perusing the section for help in diagnosing flyaways. There are many that happen in just the way described by @WTFDproject.

Note the phrase "You can only hope the system's automatic response will work" in my response. The backup systems are not infallible on any system. I prefer not to rely on them. I'm not everyone.

The loss of video is something of a warning for those that choose to heed it.

Last edited:
I wonder if this is a serious offer. I think it is too expensive. The two 2.4GHz helix are unneccessary. The radiation pattern mey be too narroe for RC control. 2.4GHz RC connections has also with stock antennas more range than 5GHz WiFi.

The helix for 5GHz may be better than the patch antenna but no one can verify the 11dBi gain promised by this offer except you have $100000 measurement labor. This 5GHz antenna has only 3 turns. Similar LHCP helix antennas (5 turns, 60°) are much cheaper. Maybe this one is the best one in the world, I don't know but let me doubt.

br HE

Note the phrase "You can only hope the system's automatic response will work" in my response. The backup systems are not infallible on any system. I prefer not to rely on them. I'm not everyone.

The loss if video is something of a warning for those that choose to heed it.
At least you guys don't lose video as soon as you lift landing gear up just above you.

When you say "one of the best" are you speaking about the antennas I asked about? If so what benefits did you notice? I have the US firmware
I use it because the EU firmware can and often loses video feed only a few meters away, and can take 90 seconds or more to re-establish.even turning the copter, it's not used for extra distance, just to eliminate those problems.

I use it because the EU firmware can and often loses video feed only a few meters away, and can take 90 seconds or more to re-establish.even turning the copter, it's not used for extra distance, just to eliminate those problems.
Thanks for the update, will continue to fly and learn more about this drone. Not sure if I like it better than my Maic Pro just yet.

The H has 3 antennas. Its video is 5.8Ghz Left Hand Circular polarized.
Its telemetry is on (2) 2.4Ghz linear polarized.

The ST16 has 5 antennas.
Two are for video at 5.8Ghz (one is internal)
Two are 2.4Ghz for control & telemetry (one is optionally inside)
And one more internal 2.4Ghz is for Wifi to your router or a hot spot.

I am using a very directional cheap 5.8Ghz LHCP for better video range.
This video was BVLOS over a half mile through trees.

Reactions: wllmsnamy
There may be an underlying issue here. When flown within line of sight it’s not often it experiences video signal loss unless the signal is obstructed by a structure or foliage. Other factors include antenna orientation and blocking the signal with our body at the ST-16 end. Most video losses occur when the aircraft is well beyond line of sight.

thanks for the update, what can I purchase to increase video range? Seems like the video range is not consistent with remote control signal range? What about the antennas show in attachment, will they provide better video and control transmission?

I bought those exact
Ones a couple years back.
If I remember correctly
Maybe 3 to 400 ft
More distance.
Keith Kuhn

At least you guys don't lose video as soon as you lift landing gear up just above you.

I know that issue, thought it's only me. Immediately after landing gear switch is on - video is cut off.
It happened to me many times. I don't know the solution.

I know that issue, thought it's only me. Immediately after landing gear switch is on - video is cut off.
The 4hawks has improved it for me, but still get the odd video loss, it seems inherent of the weaker power output, and possibly the DFS digital switching, to stop interference to external services like radar it's claimed.

Reactions: howfastyes
Brushed motors are well known for their RF interference. You need to add a RFI suppression film capacitor on each landing gear motor. I use 100nF film capacitor (marked with 104), which we find in nearly all electronic components.
RFIcap01.JPG ------> RFIcap02.JPG
The cap should suppress most of the RF interference from the gear motor.

br HE

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHYradio