Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Video to Photo mode washes out and......

Reaction score
I've notices that when i go from video to photo mode the pictures at first are completely washed out. On top of that it starts taking an 18 shot pano with the camera in this state. I think i got to stop when i pushed the camera button repeatedly... 2 questions the ?white balance or ?evo and the taking a pano the moment it switches..
I'm also a little confused about the gimble modes. Is there maybe a more accurate name that i could think of when choosing the mode on the pan and tilt. Thanks in advance
Dennis

The camera should not take a pano unless the photo mode has been set to panorama. Boot the systems up and check the photo mode settings and correct as needed. It also should not capture any imagery unless a button has been depressed. check to see if the metal neck strap latches are bound up and depressing a button.

Yes, when you change from video to photo the camera resets to default. You have to take a moment to set up the camera again for still shots. Takes about 45 seconds. However, if yoy are planning on taking still shots before you take off it's a good time to change into photo mode and do most of your set up before you take off.

W/B and Evo are two different things.. Don't think that setting one will take care of the other. Get busy with some online photographic web sites to learn what each does. Those subjects are a lengthy subject in their own rights and since the info has been published hundreds of times already there's no point in starting all over again.

As for the switch positions, there are several You Tube videos that describe them in depth. Take advantage of the work the authors put into making them and watch a few. It's the best way I know of seeing what is taking place while it's being described.

Reactions: Murray Martz

Yes, when you change from video to photo the camera resets to default. You have to take a moment to set up the camera again for still shots. Takes about 45 seconds. However, if yoy are planning on taking still shots before you take off it's a good time to change into photo mode and do most of your set up before you take off.

@PatR is this true on the Q500 4k also? I need to check it out to see. Let me see if I understand, If you setup your camera in Manual Mode for it's exposure and you switch between Video and Photo Modes it will reset to Automatic? Kinda of explains something I have been seeing in my video's. I usually start out in Video Mode when I take off. Then I might see a picture I want to capture and switch to Photo Mode so I can get a DNG file capture. Then when I go back to video mode I noticed on editing the clip it looks like it is adjusting the Exposure Automatically (default setting) again.

Reactions: Wakeborder2
The camera should not take a pano unless the photo mode has been set to panorama. Boot the systems up and check the photo mode settings and correct as needed. It also should not capture any imagery unless a button has been depressed. check to see if the metal neck strap latches are bound up and depressing a button.

W/B and Evo are two different things.. Don't think that setting one will take care of the other. Get busy with some online photographic web sites to learn what each does. Those subjects are a lengthy subject in their own rights and since the info has been published hundreds of times already there's no point in starting all over again.

As for the switch positions, there are several You Tube videos that describe them in depth. Take advantage of the work the authors put into making them and watch a few. It's the best way I know of seeing what is taking place while it's being described.

Thanks

@PatR is this true on the Q500 4k also? I need to check it out to see. Let me see if I understand, If you setup your camera in Manual Mode for it's exposure and you switch between Video and Photo Modes it will reset to Automatic? Kinda of explains something I have been seeing in my video's. I usually start out in Video Mode when I take off. Then I might see a picture I want to capture and switch to Photo Mode so I can get a DNG file capture. Then when I go back to video mode I noticed on editing the clip it looks like it is adjusting the Exposure Automatically (default setting) again.

My guess is what you describe is correct. Auto exposure and auto W/B are both default camera settings. Shutter speed and ISO for a still photo will normally be different from what a video setting is at. White balance might be the same but the camera doesn't know that unless it's told. Since the camera always starts out in video mode we know that changing to a still photo mode will require setting up the camera again. This requirement is present even when we go back and forth between video and still modes several times during a flight. Knowing this we should try to plan our flights around one type of photography over another as much as possible to avoid needing to make new set up adjustments. The only way to avoid changing settings if you want a still after doing video is to take a still while in video mode but in doing so you obtain a lower picture resolution. If taking a picture while in video mode you'll end up with lower resolution even if the photo format is set to DNG. I also think (not positive though) that you'll always end up with a JPG when capturing a still while in video mode even if set to DNG.

Perhaps one of the greatest challenges for camera drone operators is learning and understanding the various camera functions. Different brands of drones, different cameras on DIY drones, different video transmission systems or displays, etc., can make for a very confusing learning curve. Those that fly several different types of equipment, with one type flown more than another, can have some rough moments when transitioning from one type to another. I've found it pays to spend some time working with camera functions on the ground before putting one in the air the first time. The better I understand what the settings do, how to access them, how to make use of them, which scene setting works best in my post processing programs, etc., makes for less time lost fumbling around trying to figure things out when I'm wanting to capture an image, or worse, having to go back and shoot it again because something didn't play well with other tools being used to finalize the imagery. It's really amazing how long a flight battery will last when the aircraft only sits on an elevated table while practicing with the camera and gimbal;)

I'm sure someone will slam me for this but how do you take a still during video? P.S. thanks for the great info

Stop the video and push the still button. No, you can't take a still with video running;)

I'm sure someone will slam me for this but how do you take a still during video? P.S. thanks for the great info
I agree with PatR, but some pilots choose not to take a still at all preferring to take a still directly from the video in post...best done with video shot in 4K by the way.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atas77my