Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

VLC not compatible?

Reaction score
Anytime I film in 1080P or 4K and attempt to play back on VLC it doesn’t work! I’m shocked... I thought VLC could handle any file format and frame rate? What do you guys use to watch your videos? Thanks!

PS For now, I’m using YouTube... works out so far...
A776FCF1-81EC-4CB0-9ACA-11114219C79E.jpg

Anytime I film in 1080P or 4K and attempt to play back on VLC it doesn’t work! I’m shocked... I thought VLC could handle any file format and frame rate? What do you guys use to watch your videos? Thanks!

PS For now, I’m using YouTube... works out so far...
View attachment 11704
VLC works for everything. What file extension are you trying to play. Sounds to me you have a bad download or your files are incomplete or truncated. Check your file sizes also. What device are you useing to play back on? Your device might not have a graphics card to play back the high frame rates or the Computer.
YouTube Video is compressed video your not actually watching the real video that's why you wait for a video to be ready on Youtube it's being Compressed in the cloud before it's ready.
Same as all the other video hosting sites out there Facebook, Vimeo ECT.

I've worked in IT for almost 35 years now and VLC is a Swiss Army Knife. I believe it's something with your hardware.

Last edited:
It takes a fair amount of computer horse power to play a raw file from the CGO3+ camera.
I have a low end I7 Windows 10 PC and it plays but struggles with it.

Thanks for all your input fellas! it appears it would be the fact my laptop is from 2015 and is mediocre in specs. Im gonna have to upgrade to something with a little more grunt I believe! Thanks!

4K files are large. Load in your timeline n’ scrub and edit in proxy. I do a round trip from FCPX and grade in DaVinci Resolve (but I don’t much editing nowadays)

I have the same problem with VLC. Used to use it a lot but 4k doesn’t run well with it on my laptop, and it’s a late 2016 4k graphics and screen laptop.

Works fine for me actually had to install it to be able to preview files because media player wouldn't play them

On my schools iMac with i5 and 5K display, the footage is buttery smooth using QuickTime right off the micro SD, now playing the files at home my older (2015) laptop refuses to play it on VLC, so any type of video editing from home is impossible sadly.

Yes, it's a slippery slope; get a 4k camera, now you need a faster computer processor, faster video card, more hard disk space, faster internet connection speed, better editor, etc. And, 60fps further increases these requirements.
I'm not complaining, just stating the facts. The same things happened when we went from VGA to HD, remember?

Reactions: floridajames04
Agreed, VLC will play anything. Sounds like your problem this the computer, you should be able to play back 1080p files without an issue on a low end win 10 the 4k requires high-end hardware. I have the same issue with only the 4k files even with a decent machine but VLC will handle everything else I throw at it.

Reactions: floridajames04

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drakemerch33