Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Wavey imagery

Reaction score
Hello,

I had a couple of flights today using 4K with the E50 and when I replayed the footage, I noticed that the imagery was wavey when the H520 was transiting and played normal when in a hold. Any thoughts, very disappointing as I was supporting a Covid-19 customer requirement.

Regards

Paul

Sounds like you are describing a phenomenon called 'jello' which is caused by high shutter speeds coupled with slight vibrations of the camera during shooting. This is most common in cameras that use a rolling shutter (such as the E50). As the shutter rolls the image down the sensor many times a second the vibration causes slight registration errors that make the video have a wavy effect such as you are describing, though your problem may be something completely different. The best way to know for sure is to post an example for us to see.

One way to stop this from happening is to always use ND filters when ever circumstances warrant. Typically you want to run the shutter at double the FPS, so if you're shooting 30 Frames a second set the shutter to 1/60th and you will now see the scene is way too bright, this is where the proper ND filter comes in. On cameras that have an adjustable aperture, you could just stop down the light but on cameras like the E50 its a fixed aperture so NDs are the only way to go.

Reactions: DoomMeister
Paul,

A few questions for you while you contemplate if you have any video to upload, per the suggestion of @Ty Pilot.

1. How old is your H520 and E50?
  2. Is this the first time you have noticed the phenomenon ask you describe?
  3. Do you happen to notice if there is a particular position (angle) of the camera, where this wavey or jello video is observed?
  4. Have you been able to perform any tabletop testing?
If you search for E50 using additional keywords such as vibration, vibrates, jello, buzz (likely need to try those keywords individually), you should find some historical conversations. The one I am going to ask you to investigate, specifically question 3, is relating to this camera "buzz".

To test to see if you can reproduce the symptom, try the following, with your H520 sitting indoors, on a level table. No need to have the props spinning, so feel free to remove them for safety. Also, you don't have to be recording, but feel free if the subject matter is safe for public consumption. The video might coincide with any vibration or buzzing you may encounter.

1) Set the camera angle to zero (horizontal).
2) Change the angle, slowly, toward 90 degrees (down)

Listen for vibrations from the camera (buzz).

If not observed, move to the next test:

1) set the camera angle back to zero
2) Using the pan knob, start a slow pan
3) listen for vibration
4) if no vibration observed, keep the pan going. Slowly change the camera angle toward 90 (down).
5) listen for vibration.

If you hear the buzzing during any of the tests above, it is not a flight or wind issue, but more than likely a gimbal balance issue. The fixes have been everywhere from firmware, to changing the dampers (one of my E50 cameras was fixed using CGO3+ dampers), to counterweights. The counterweight instances were reported more on the E90 and C23 (H Plus). I have not heard of counterweights being used on E50 cameras.

Another clue: from my own observations as well as posters here, the buzzing typically occurs when the camera angle is dropped around the 30 degree mark, or lower. Not everyone has reported angle, but worth mentioning.

Please keep us informed so we can learn as well as possibly help further.

Good luck!

Jeff

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis