Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

We need expos for the sticks on ST16s

Peggy

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
For a while now I have been practising at trying to get smooth turns while flying the H Plus and I have come to the conclusion, in it's current form it is impossible to get smooth turns or a smooth shot.
Ok so yes you could turn the slider down to give the sticks more smoothness but that no good to man or beast if youre chasing a jet ski or yacht. I need speed and smoothness just like' the other make do' or like the Typhoon H does.
Now we had all this with the 520 and they managed to tone down the sticks on Datapilot, so why the **** not do it or give us expos to adjust the stick control ourselves.

I could even try and make a smooth turn by turning the gimble knob to turn the camera....You try doing that while flying and using two hands.

So thats it, the H Plus is not capable of smooth cinematic turns whilst flying at speed, My H520 does, My P4P does and I would very much like my H Plus to as well.

Moan over

For a while now I have been practising at trying to get smooth turns while flying the H Plus and I have come to the conclusion, in it's current form it is impossible to get smooth turns or a smooth shot.
Ok so yes you could turn the slider down to give the sticks more smoothness but that no good to man or beast if youre chasing a jet ski or yacht. I need speed and smoothness just like' the other make do' or like the Typhoon H does.
Now we had all this with the 520 and they managed to tone down the sticks on Datapilot, so why the **** not do it or give us expos to adjust the stick control ourselves.

I could even try and make a smooth turn by turning the gimble knob to turn the camera....You try doing that while flying and using two hands.

So thats it, the H Plus is not capable of smooth cinematic turns whilst flying at speed, My H520 does, My P4P does and I would very much like my H Plus to as well.

Moan over
@Ty Pilot will know this answer.

Moan over

When you say 'smooth turns' am I correct in assuming you mean you are applying forward motion with the right stick and using the rudder to turn and that you can't make that smooth? I read that you are not able to do this at speed, so I guess what you are saying is that; trying to fly fast (Sport Mode) is where you run into problems when trying to turn, yes? I have to agree that sport mode introduces some unnecessary jerkiness to the controls.

While I don't do a lot of filming at maximum speeds, I have been doing a lot of flying at speeds at least as fast as the 480 will fly and am able to get buttery smooth turns. One thing I have found is that what is needed is to coordinate the rate slider into the equation - but not like one might think.

Basically, to take the jerkiness out of the equation the right stick needs to be held very precisely - and the only way to do this with a human hand is to pin it to the top of the gimbal - then use the rate slider to dial in the correct speed. Now of course one must practice to find where the right speed is; Sport or Angle mode, to achieve this. For instance, Angle mode at High rate is faster than Sport Mode Low Rate so anytime I can fly in Angle I do and that covers a lot of ground.

I have found the rudder response is very smooth for most flying with the only exception being at full speed in Sport mode. I have found that if I want to just do high speed cruise with turns I will start in Angle, Rate slow - then pin the right stick to the top which is about a fast walking speed and the craft will turn very precisely. To speed up, keep the stick pinned to the top and raise the slider - the aircraft will do a slight bump or two till it finds its speed and from then on it will be steady as a rock even in turns. I can do this all the way up to high rate and the turns are perfect.

In addition, I will just put it out there that there is something I am working on that adds a lot of functionality to the controller in regards to all of the above and more. ;)

It is not smooth. We need and expo/curve in the rudder. To test the rudder, try doing a manual orbit around a subject. The rudder will not stay on target. Lowering the joystick knobs helps a little bit, but the rudder is still twitchy.

Yes, this is what i complain about the Typhoon H Plus since i bought it. At first i noticed that behavior in "Sport Mode", but it is even present in "Angle Mode".
I wrote a threat called "Typhoon H flight characteristics" some weeks ago.
I did sent back my first H+ as i thought this was a malefunktion, after contacting Yuneec Europe Service to finde out if this behavior was intended to be. But no
Response from Service. I bought a second H+ hoping my first one was only a flaw, but it seemed to me that it was ment to be so. I kept the new H+ because the
overall experience with the H+ is impressive. I still hope for more User Feedback and a future Firmware fix, as i know the PX4 flight controller can be that smooth
as all other drones are! So lets see what´s coming! Still hoping

Folks should just stop making excuses. The joystick needs to be dampened, it’s too soft and the H+ needs an expo/curve.
Enuff said... lol

Reactions: Peggy
When you say 'smooth turns' am I correct in assuming you mean you are applying forward motion with the right stick and using the rudder to turn and that you can't make that smooth? I read that you are not able to do this at speed, so I guess what you are saying is that; trying to fly fast (Sport Mode) is where you run into problems when trying to turn, yes? I have to agree that sport mode introduces some unnecessary jerkiness to the controls.

While I don't do a lot of filming at maximum speeds, I have been doing a lot of flying at speeds at least as fast as the 480 will fly and am able to get buttery smooth turns. One thing I have found is that what is needed is to coordinate the rate slider into the equation - but not like one might think.

Basically, to take the jerkiness out of the equation the right stick needs to be held very precisely - and the only way to do this with a human hand is to pin it to the top of the gimbal - then use the rate slider to dial in the correct speed. Now of course one must practice to find where the right speed is; Sport or Angle mode, to achieve this. For instance, Angle mode at High rate is faster than Sport Mode Low Rate so anytime I can fly in Angle I do and that covers a lot of ground.

I have found the rudder response is very smooth for most flying with the only exception being at full speed in Sport mode. I have found that if I want to just do high speed cruise with turns I will start in Angle, Rate slow - then pin the right stick to the top which is about a fast walking speed and the craft will turn very precisely. To speed up, keep the stick pinned to the top and raise the slider - the aircraft will do a slight bump or two till it finds its speed and from then on it will be steady as a rock even in turns. I can do this all the way up to high rate and the turns are perfect.

In addition, I will just put it out there that there is something I am working on that adds a lot of functionality to the controller in regards to all of the above and more. ;)

Hi Ty.
Well I can’t wait for that to happen.
My example scenario is this and it is NOT in sport mode. I would expect it to act abruptly in that case.

So I’m chasing a kite surfer in angle mode.
Full right stick film throttle.
I fly over the top of the kite but need to start making a smooth yaw.
Left stick is now being pulled down gently to change elevation to come down in front of kite.
I am now adjusting camera angle as well.
I move right stick very gently to yaw gently and nothing happens so I move right stick a little more using finger and thumb pinch method and then BAM aircraft abruptly yaws.
Can’t use 360 camera dial as only have 2 hands.
Can’t slow aircraft down via right slider as kite would run into me.
Shot now unusable.

Hope that helps understand my frustration.

Hi Ty.
Well I can’t wait for that to happen.
My example scenario is this and it is NOT in sport mode. I would expect it to act abruptly in that case.

So I’m chasing a kite surfer in angle mode.
Full right stick film throttle.
I fly over the top of the kite but need to start making a smooth yaw.
Left stick is now being pulled down gently to change elevation to come down in front of kite.
I am now adjusting camera angle as well.
I move right stick very gently to yaw gently and nothing happens so I move right stick a little more using finger and thumb pinch method and then BAM aircraft abruptly yaws.
Can’t use 360 camera dial as only have 2 hands.
Can’t slow aircraft down via right slider as kite would run into me.
Shot now unusable.

Hope that helps understand my frustration.
I agree they are too light you can hardly feel the movement

You use mode 1 Correct? I am Mode 2 and the rudder is left stick. I hear what you are saying and believe you but my rudder is not abrupt and as soon as the winds die down here in Florida (we have a hurricane hitting the pan handle about right now) I will get some video of high speed maneuvering and let ya'll judge.

You use mode 1 Correct? I am Mode 2 and the rudder is left stick. I hear what you are saying and believe you but my rudder is not abrupt and as soon as the winds die down here in Florida (we have a hurricane hitting the pan handle about right now) I will get some video of high speed maneuvering and let ya'll judge.

Here’s an exercise. Do a manual orbit, keep your cursor on the target. Fly around it while maintaining your lock, and you will find that the rudder is too sensitive. Another exercise is to manually track a moving target (fly in angle mode) while doing circles.

Here’s an exercise. Do a manual orbit, keep your cursor on the target. Fly around it while maintaining your lock, and you will find that the rudder is too sensitive. Another exercise is to manually track a moving target (fly in angle mode) while doing circles.

Orbiting the Plus as you suggest in the first part is simple - this is what I am saying, it does it better than either my 480 or my old Phantom. I can fly a manual orbit around and object with camera pointed at it and keep it there as good as any other drone. I would go a little further and say even if I had the ability to set expo or rate curves I likely would not change it from where it is as I really like the feel of it. And just to give you some context of my flying, I've been flying RC for 40 years and was a Team JR Sponsored Pilot from 1994 through 2004 so I have an good understanding of these things.

To the second point can you explain that a little more? Manually track a moving target? Okay. While doing circles?

I am beginning to wonder if we have different settings due to firmware updates or something. I am sure those of you with the problem do know what you are talking about and I feel certain of what I am seeing. Has the rudder always been this way for those of you who have problems?

Orbiting the Plus as you suggest in the first part is simple - this is what I am saying, it does it better than either my 480 or my old Phantom. I can fly a manual orbit around and object with camera pointed at it and keep it there as good as any other drone. I would go a little further and say even if I had the ability to set expo or rate curves I likely would not change it from where it is as I really like the feel of it. And just to give you some context of my flying, I've been flying RC for 40 years and was a Team JR Sponsored Pilot from 1994 through 2004 so I have an good understanding of these things.

To the second point can you explain that a little more? Manually track a moving target? Okay. While doing circles?

I am beginning to wonder if we have different settings due to firmware updates or something. I am sure those of you with the problem do know what you are talking about and I feel certain of what I am seeing. Has the rudder always been this way for those of you who have problems?

You can do an orbital maneuver on a moving subject 360deg. while maintaining the cursor on your subject at all times. With the H+ it is hard to do, and I can sympathize with @Peggy because I was doing an orbital manuever on a crane while it was taking a load up on a structure and the H+ was not precise to maintaining its target.

The video that I posted, I attempted to do a manual orbit, synchronizing both left and right sticks. I can do a manual orbit with my P4P and Inspire, without any problems and the footage is butter smooth. I have taken out the retainers (the lower part of the joystick knobs) and that seemed to help and dampen about 40% of the stick and also toying with the idea of getting these. Remote Controller Yaw Pitch Controller Rocker 3D Printed For YUNEEC Typhoon H480 | eBay

Okay, orbiting a stationary subject and then doing the same with a moving one. Got it. I watched your video and it looks to me like this may be more of a gimbal issue than anything else. In that video you posted where you are doing a large orbit around the building, I can see where at times you are yawing and other where your not but are just moving laterally and it looks as though the transition from yaw to no yaw as if the gimbal is over-correcting.

The only video I currently have posted where I do an orbit around an object manually is my Plus video. Skip ahead to 7:13 where I orbit a Flag. This is a tight orbit and notice the yaw is constant and there is no jerkiness. I think it is the gimbal over reacting to the yaw input that is the culprit. As soon as I get good weather I will get out and do some more flying.

Reactions: 10-8
Okay, orbiting a stationary subject and then doing the same with a moving one. Got it. I watched your video and it looks to me like this may be more of a gimbal issue than anything else. In that video you posted where you are doing a large orbit around the building, I can see where at times you are yawing and other where your not but are just moving laterally and it looks as though the transition from yaw to no yaw as if the gimbal is over-correcting.

The only video I currently have posted where I do an orbit around an object manually is my Plus video. Skip ahead to 7:13 where I orbit a Flag. This is a tight orbit and notice the yaw is constant and there is no jerkiness. I think it is the gimbal over reacting to the yaw input that is the culprit. As soon as I get good weather I will get out and do some more flying.

Because I could not get it to aligned that is why I keep compensating, and I am sorry to say this, no offense, your orbit on a subject is not a true orbit. You have to lock on your target from start to finish. Again, I can fly the same maneuver with my P4P and Inspire, without any problems.

And YES!! I am familiar with your post. I made a decision in purchasing the H+ because my son, who is my part time VO when he visits me from Hawaii, linked me to your channel and we both watched your review, and now I'm here. KUDOS! Man.

It is not the gimbal, or it could be, but for those who are into aerial cinematography, and from what @Peggy and I has discovered, it needs an exponential/curve.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
I can fly around a subject using an RC airplane with precision, because my controller allows me to do so, and my control sticks can be manually adjust.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHYradio