Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Weather Proof flying.

Reaction score
I know I'll probably catch flack with this question, but here goes.
I fly my Typhoon H and CGO-ET for the local EMA (Search and Rescue). And we almost never go out in perfect weather.. Rain, Snow, Cold are the most common call outs.

My question: Is there a way to make the H less vulnerable to the elements? Some way to maybe make it water/moisture resistant?
Other than "Don't Fly" in bad weather?

Thanks,
Art

Reactions: Andrew Grant
There was this thread a couple of years ago... do not know if anyone has used it in the field...

Waterproof your H ?

I fly my Typhoon H and CGO-ET for the local EMA (Search and Rescue). And we almost never go out in perfect weather.. Rain, Snow, Cold are the most common call outs.

My question: Is there a way to make the H less vulnerable to the elements? Some way to maybe make it water/moisture resistant?

Thanks,
Art
I know there are some industrial waterproof sprays that are around, do not recall the name of them though.

The Typhoon H is an air cooled design so any mods for waterproofing could cause overheating.
My H got away with a short time in a light rain.
I attached an LED headlight to a landing leg for a twilight flight.
At 5:30 in this video it started to rain.
You can see the first drops in the light beam.

Last edited:

Thanks,
Art
Though I know I'm on a Yuneec Forum, you may want to consider looking into a Swellpro drone. They have waterproof drones with payload release and night vision cameras for a decent price ($1,000-$2,500 US currency, depending on payloads and drone). Then you wouldn't have to worry about it getting wet and if it does crash it'll keep the GPS on to inform you where it is, plus they float. From all I know about electronics, if it's not designed to be waterproof you really can't make it waterproof without doing some major modifications due to heat dissipation.

As for the cold and batteries, keep your batteries in a vehicle to keep them above freezing and warm. They will still deplete faster than normal but this will help make them last longer. If you're out on foot and don't have a vehicle nearby you may consider putting your batteries in an insulated cooler/bag with something hot to keep them warm as well.

Hope this helps!

Ont time I was flying in foggy conditions when the dew point was near the ambient temperature.
After landing I found condensation moisture all over the H.
I took it inside & dried it. So far no problems.
No more fog flights for me.

Ont time I was flying in foggy conditions when the dew point was near the ambient temperature.
After landing I found condensation moisture all over the H.
I took it inside & dried it. So far no problems.
No more fog flights for me.
Very foggy here today. I was tempted, but DSLR won the day.

I flew mine in a fog one morning and when I landed my H had moisture everywhere! Won't do that again!

Last edited:
I looked at that. Not sure that is something I would subject my Typhoon H to.
Perhaps a different model will suit your needs, since it is used in emergency situations, perhaps research what law enforcement and rescue organisations use, there must be something that is more robust than a Yuneec and designed for extreme weather conditions, I'm sure at a much higher price tag though.

I have flown in a variety of weather conditions and I've never had any issue from light rain, snow or fog. The one annoying problem is when the ST16 gets wet the touch screen function will not work. Keeping it dry can be a challenge.

In order to protect against moisture I use a silicone spray made for electronics. You can spray the motors, inside the camera and inside the aircraft. It will not leave any sticky residue and protects against water and corrosion.

Reactions: Agent Smith
I have flown in a variety of weather conditions and I've never had any issue from light rain, snow or fog. The one annoying problem is when the ST16 gets wet the touch screen function will not work. Keeping it dry can be a challenge.

In order to protect against moisture I use a silicone spray made for electronics. You can spray the motors, inside the camera and inside the aircraft. It will not leave any sticky residue and protects against water and corrosion.

But would it stand up to OP claims where it would be on a regular basis for emergency use, not just an occasional flight. Would your method stand up to use maybe many times a day, many times a week? Just curious, as it could all end in tears if it gets too wet, but what are the rules for the emergency services, surely their is a no fly weather policy for too extreme weather.

But would it stand up to OP claims where it would be on a regular basis for emergency use, not just an occasional flight. Would your method stand up to use maybe many times a day, many times a week? Just curious, as it could all end in tears if it gets too wet, but what are the rules for the emergency services, surely their is a no fly weather policy for too extreme weather.
The limiting factor is actually sight distance, attenuation of the control/video signal and the attenuation of the GPS signal. Both rain and snow intensity limit distance and visibility. Heavy cloud cover with high moisture content can interfere with the GPS reception. In weather which allows a usable camera image, there will be no issue with the aircraft. I have not even experienced a problem with water on the lens because the prop wash seems to keep the water away from the camera provided you don't fly excessively fast.

Yes the Snow/ Blizzard is bad dispute visibility, the signal was pretty much out of range in a few metres, I've seen Dji models on YouTube videos and the camera gets covered in droplets, perhaps it's camera position on the drone.

shows you how to do it. It's done with corrosion X and I think they mention that it's not a heat issue with the corrosion X.

It's done with corrosion X
I'm not a fan of this product for my equipment. It leaves a film which attracts dust. I'll stick with the silicone which is cheap and can be used anywhere on the aircraft or camera.

Perhaps a different model will suit your needs, since it is used in emergency situations, perhaps research what law enforcement and rescue organisations use, there must be something that is more robust than a Yuneec and designed for extreme weather conditions, I'm sure at a much higher price tag though.
Local PD and SD are using DJI Inspire. But they don't do bad weather.

Reactions: azdrones
I sell swellpro which is weather proof. For those really crappy days you may want to look at it.

I'm not a fan of this product for my equipment. It leaves a film which attracts dust. I'll stick with the silicone which is cheap and can be used anywhere on the aircraft or camera.
Wont the silicone introduce heating issues?

Wont the silicone introduce heating issues?
Nope. There is no residue or "coating" on the parts. This isn't a anything similar to a silicone caulk. It is very similar to the silicone spray I use on my shoes and boots to make them repel water and snow.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelNiece