Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Weird

Reaction score
I was trying to film a sunset tonight and had turned on the Realsense module. I didn't particularly need it, but thought it wouldn't hurt. After about 10 minutes, I got the calibrate compass warning and the copter started toilet bowling. I started bringing it down and stopped at about 30 feet to figure out how I was going to set it down. Since I didn't want it to sense anything, I turned off obstacle avoidance. The craft immediately settled out and stopped toilet bowling...steady as a rock. Anyone had any similar instances?

There are many posts warning about facing the Realsense into the sun. It’s a no no.

Last edited:
First, RealSense is enabled in the ST16. I think you mean that you have a RealSense module that is enabled and that you turned on Obstacle Avoidance. When you do that OA is taking advantage of the RS sensors. As mentioned there are issues flying with RS into the sun.

Toilet bowling is generally associated with the need to calibrate the compass or that you're near metal objects.

I got the notice of needing to re-calibrate the compass about 180 feet directly over my house after it had been flying there stationary for 10 minutes. I was trying to get a timelapse of the sunset. That's when it started. The toilet bowling stopped immediately when I switched off OA, which is what I thought was weird. It did this before when I first got the aircraft, on my first try of the follow-me feature and that definitely wasn't pointed toward the sun. It was following me in my yard. I was having trouble with stick crosstalk at the time, so I figured it was related to that. Maybe I need to play with RS some more.

I hadn't realized that the RS operates outside the visual spectrum and had thought nothing about the sun since it was behind the clouds. it's possible that it could have started it last evening.

I have RS on one of my H. I use it infrequently.

It’s only real value is Follow Me and Watch Me and for the really adventurous IPS.

There is definitely a learning period unless you’re a daredevil willing to risk the H. My recommendation is to start slowly and keep an eye on it until you’re comfortable with it’s behavior. My learning experiences cost me a couple of props and soldering some wires back on for the camera.

Played with it some last night. I wish I knew the rules it was trying to follow. It got really weird around a light pole across the street where it seemed to turn and look at it as if it knew it was there but just wasn't sure and it wasn't going that way...lol

RS doesn't do well when pointed directly into bright light. It can do weird things.

Have you watched any of the YouTube videos on RealSense in the H?

Yes I have. It was still daytime and the street light wasn't on. All the videos I've seen just show it following someone, not the technical details (programming), which is what really interests me about it.

Were you flying in Follow Me or Watch Me mode?
follow me. Thanks for the links. I have seen them before, but appreciate your effort. The software was probably written by Yuneec through their SDK and it would be very interesting to know what rules they used. With all the turning for the tracked object changing direction, I could easily think up some situations where it could easily screw up, but moving in one general direction should be fine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval