Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Well, that didn't take long..

Reaction score
Well, it got above freezing today, so I thought I'd take a quick flight. I wanted to try out the auto-flight modes. (Error #1- Should have read/watched more videos about how they work).

First, I tried the POI mode. I had it do a little flying around a point in the yard. But, I panicked when it did something I didn't expect, and I cancelled the flight. (Error #2- Should have been more prepared to take back control when it did something unexpected.)

So then I tried follow me mode. I moved around the front yard, and it followed me nicely. So, I tried to walk around the house toward the back yard. As I was doing so, I noticed it was side slipping toward some overhanging tree branches. I moved away from the trees, but it was still too close for my liking. I stopped moving and tried to retake control, the panic rising in the process. Unfortunately, before I was able to take control it clipped one branch. I thought I had it back after that, but then I clipped a second branch. It was all over at that point.

It rolled over, and started dropping down among the branches. It came to rest about four feet off the ground, suspended in a tangle of branches. I quickly reached in and shut the power off, in hopes that it would stop trying to damage itself. (Error #3- I didn't hit the stop video button on the controller, so the video file is corrupt and won't play.) It had already stopped spinning the props, so I guess I was fine at that point, but I did mention panic, right? Anyway, I shut it off, pulled it out of the trees, and gathered my wits a bit.

The first damage I noted was three broken off props. The others look ok, but I haven't given them a good look yet. The little plastic piece that covers the antenna wire that hangs down on one side is broken off (not sure why it keeps putting the pic here... sorry) Image_1 2018-12-26_14-51-52.jpeg I think it will fly as it is, but I probably should replace that part at some point.

So, along with the ones I've already mentioned, what else do you guys think I can learn from this little mistake? Anything you guys suggest I do as a diagnostic check before I try to fly again? I'll probably be a little gun-shy for a bit, but don't want to make this the end of my flying career. Go ahead and tell me the dumb things I may have done, I'm willing to get beat up to learn some stuff! I'm just happy I got as lucky as I did.

Thanks!
-Eric

Reactions: Steve Carr
I feel the pain....I found I have to research each function and get it firmly planted in my mind before I try it.
As far as the video, put the card back in the camera, start it up, snap a pic and then shut down. That should recover the video file. Do an accelerometer cal before you fly again. If you are uncertain of what will happen, remove the camera before you fly. The money is in the cam not the bird.

Reactions: DCH
The little plastic piece that covers the antenna wire that hangs down on one side is broken off
Not a necessary item, it's for aesthetics only. These can be found fairly inexpensively. I have even used a short piece of the small black coffee straws as a cover. You can pinch the top end and slide it into the gap the wire hangs out of. Cheap fix!

Panic has a tenancy to build upon itself quickly once the unexpected arises and from there will continue to multiply until usually resulting in disaster, unless luck steps in to mitigate. Been there, done that, hate that!:mad:

You really did get off easy, Lady Luck smiled on you my friend!:)

Reactions: Steve Carr
Panic has a tenancy to build upon itself quickly once the unexpected arises
True that. When I get ready to start a new function that I haven't used previously I review the escape plan in my brain. Then I proceed to start and then execute the escape to assure it works. That reduces my panic reflex.

Reactions: Satdiver and DCH
When I get ready to start a new function that I haven't used previously I review the escape plan in my brain. Then I proceed to start and then execute the escape to assure it works. That reduces my panic reflex.
Can this be seen in your "TreeVideo"?:rolleyes:

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
Sorry to hear of the crash but glad it wasn't worse. ;) Its a good thing that you have run through what happened and understand that this is something that was not caused by the aircraft, so; good on you for that. How many times have we seen a thread like this where someone thinks the aircraft should simply not have done this through some magical technology rather than accept the blame, learn from it and move on? We've all done it.

There is a saying in full scale aviation that applies equally well to RC Models and UAV's. . . .

Never let your aircraft go where your mind isn't already at.

Don't worry about the broken antenna cover tube. It's purely cosmetic.

Pictures get stuck where the cursor is positioned in the post. If you want the picture to be in a specific location, place the cursor where you want the picture before you upload a file.

Reactions: biltno
Well, it got above freezing today, so I thought I'd take a quick flight. I wanted to try out the auto-flight modes. (Error #1- Should have read/watched more videos about how they work).

First, I tried the POI mode. I had it do a little flying around a point in the yard. But, I panicked when it did something I didn't expect, and I cancelled the flight. (Error #2- Should have been more prepared to take back control when it did something unexpected.)

So then I tried follow me mode. I moved around the front yard, and it followed me nicely. So, I tried to walk around the house toward the back yard. As I was doing so, I noticed it was side slipping toward some overhanging tree branches. I moved away from the trees, but it was still too close for my liking. I stopped moving and tried to retake control, the panic rising in the process. Unfortunately, before I was able to take control it clipped one branch. I thought I had it back after that, but then I clipped a second branch. It was all over at that point.

It rolled over, and started dropping down among the branches. It came to rest about four feet off the ground, suspended in a tangle of branches. I quickly reached in and shut the power off, in hopes that it would stop trying to damage itself. (Error #3- I didn't hit the stop video button on the controller, so the video file is corrupt and won't play.) It had already stopped spinning the props, so I guess I was fine at that point, but I did mention panic, right? Anyway, I shut it off, pulled it out of the trees, and gathered my wits a bit.

The first damage I noted was three broken off props. The others look ok, but I haven't given them a good look yet. The little plastic piece that covers the antenna wire that hangs down on one side is broken off (not sure why it keeps putting the pic here... sorry) View attachment 13303 I think it will fly as it is, but I probably should replace that part at some point.

So, along with the ones I've already mentioned, what else do you guys think I can learn from this little mistake? Anything you guys suggest I do as a diagnostic check before I try to fly again? I'll probably be a little gun-shy for a bit, but don't want to make this the end of my flying career. Go ahead and tell me the dumb things I may have done, I'm willing to get beat up to learn some stuff! I'm just happy I got as lucky as I did.

Thanks!
-Eric
on my forth flight I did not hold down he toggle when I landed after landing and mine tipped and destroyed three props, it was all the damage but a stupid rookie mistake. Live and learn. New props being delivered today.
good luck

All the advice given is superb. As stated an open area with little interference both mental, physical (trees etc) and radio waves is the best way to experiment.

Then as Steve Carr will attest to you can do stupid stuff like I do when you get overconfident like teetoring on precarious rocks while flying etcetera. Seeing how far you can go over lake superior.

As far as tipping over on landings, I like to use the red button pumping method to help with ground effect and tipping over on uneven surfaces.

The first damage I noted was three broken off props. The others look ok, but I haven't given them a good look yet. The little plastic piece that covers the antenna wire that hangs down on one side is broken off (not sure why it keeps putting the pic here... sorry) View attachment 13303 I think it will fly as it is, but I probably should replace that part at some point.

Thanks!
-Eric

Thanks!
-Eric
You can recover the flight by putting the SD card back in the bird, recording for about 5 seconds, then turning off everything in the correct order. That should restore the "corrupt" file for you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis