Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

What’s your preferred carry Camera

Reaction score
Anyone still into hand holding instead of flying the camera?
Curious as to your personal carry or bag.

Personally, as life & work got busy... I’ve openly stated I’d never use a Phone Camera, but I find myself using the Note 8 or iPhone X since they’ve improved so much and it’s always on ya! Used to self-chuckle at tourist spots and see the people use a phone to capture a lion 20-30 yards out... holding phone up, lion used up a few pixels, barely visible. I’d whip out a 70-210 or 100-400 and grab a great shot. Now, I’m the dork grabbing a phone and checking if I could grab a shot.

I was always a Canon bagger, from film to digital remained a Canon Owner. Now planning to shelf the Canon body since it won’t pull any value and switch over to Sony A7Riii. I’ll grab a metabones or similar to use my a Canon glass.

I picked a used GH4 for use on aerial gimbal, needed repairs before it’d all work. The RoninMX can carry a Full DSLR, which brought me around to the Canon A7R series. The 42meg sharp aerial image sounds Awesome!

The more I read, waiting to find a good deal on A7Riii, the more I’m impressed where hi-end cameras have developed. The A7Riii is a pricy body, but in comparison to Pro rigs 20 yrs ago it’s pretty moderately priced.

What’s your camera bag?

My side hustle.

I’m a canon shooter, I have two 5ds and I love my 1Dx. Last year, I assisted a film crew in Kaui for a marine biology school documentary on coral bleaching, my 5D was having a hard time in low light that I had to rent a Sony A7Rii to complete the project.

You and I are in the same boat, I’m planning to switch as well.

For my gimbal, I sold my ronin, because the ROI was not enough for me to be able to keep it, I sold it and got a Zhiyun Crane. Wedding and promo commercials is around the corner, but I am not as proactive with photography as I once was, but I still assist as a second shooter of the pay is good.

IMG_1554604625.494615.jpg

My side hustle.

I’m a canon shooter, I have two 5ds and I love my 1Dx. Last year, I assisted a film crew in Kaui for a marine biology school documentary on coral bleaching, my 5D was having a hard time in low light that I had to rent a Sony A7Rii to complete the project.

For my gimbal, I sold my ronin, because the ROI was not enough for me to be able to keep it, I sold it and got a Zhiyun Crane. Wedding and promo commercials is around the corner, but I am not as proactive with photography as I once was, but I still assist as a second shooter of the pay is good.

View attachment 15718
I see the hi-end DSLR bringing to return. Maybe due to consumer hobby trends or cost for quality & technology. When hi-end compacts are approaching DSLR prices.

Sony may bring out a 100meg FF sensor.

I had an afternoon with a A7Rii... small in comparison to Canon D5 or D7's. That was one thing I liked for aerial gimbal mount too.

The improvement from 7r ii to 7riii is high, major upgrade and a significant upgrade is the wireless. The 7Riii is the 1st one Intelli-G fully supports & controls. Although Air Commander V2 fully supports all A7's.

The 28 F2 looks to be a super choice for aerial... the 30 F1.8 not bad. The 24 F1.4 looks superb but pricey and larger mass.

I do like the small size for aerial and the addition of battery hand grip provides a nice hand hold size.

Nikon D3s or D4s with 500mm lens I do love sunsets.

Nice Rig!
I'm curious what the Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fuji, etc breakout will be if others contribute.

Just discovered a spot on river / d a m n spillway that is packed with Eagles. Beautiful and well over 100 eagles. Chatted with a Nikon Owner using a 500mm. Says the Eagles normally remain in this area, about half move after thaw but many remain.

He spends hours sitting on opposite side collecting nice shots with his Nikons.

*** forum content monitor cant cypher the difference between D a m n with an "n".

Nikon D3s or D4s with 500mm lens I do love sunsets.

My cousin shoots for the SF 49ers, she stands 5ft tall and her favorite lens is a 500mm.. (but a white shark) she looks like a beast walking around with a 500 hahahaha

Nice Rig!
I'm curious what the Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fuji, etc breakout will be if others contribute.

Just discovered a spot on river / d a m n spillway that is packed with Eagles. Beautiful and well over 100 eagles. Chatted with a Nikon Owner using a 500mm. Says the Eagles normally remain in this area, about half move after thaw but many remain.

He spends hours sitting on opposite side collecting nice shots with his Nikons.

*** forum content monitor cant cypher the difference between D a m n with an "n".
I quite often use TC 1.4III gives me even more reach, it all fits in a Tamrac Anvil bag, lens down, if I'm doing steam trains I use a 300mm 2.8, good for isolating the subject.

I’m a Nikon shooter. My main rig is a D810 with all 3 Gold Ring 2.8’s: 14-24mm; 24-70mm; 70-200mm.

The 24-70mm gets the most time for just casual street photography, switching out to the 70-200mm depending on what I’m wanting to create. The 14-24mm gets used inside a lot and with really wide landscapes. I use the 24-70mm 60%, 70-200mm 35% and the 14-24mm 5%.

I have a nice set of 1.8 Primes I use at times. The 35mm and 50mm for catch-all shooting, and the 85mm and 105mm for portraiture. Just can’t beat that 85mm for amazing bokeh....it’s called the “Cream Machine” for a reason. The 105mm is even better, with astounding bokeh and great compression for facial features. The big drawback on the 105mm is it’s size and weight. It a giant “hunk o glass” and is intimidating to the model. Pro’s deal with it but amateurs can really be freaked by it.

I find the 14-24mm a larger more vulnerable piece of glass than the 105mm.

My two main cameras are both Nikon... non digital... an FE2 and an FM2... neither has shot a frame of film in 12 years. Only owned 2 lenses... standard 50mm and (at the time) the sharpest lens available... the 105mm Micro Nikkor. ?

I purchased an older Canon t1i few years ago, I use this with either the pancake 24mm or 50mm prime lenses.
I use the 24 for landscapes or close ups, and the 50mm for portraits.
This camera has served me well, the only reason Id upgrade is for a better frame rate in 1080p video.

I use an older Samsung GX-1L. I have the original auto-focus D-XENON 18-55 mm lens it came with and a Nikon 80 - 200 mm manual focus lens. I picked up the camera for $30 (Can) at a local thrift shop. The other lens I also picked up there for $10. My wife I purchased a Song DSC-HX60X for $500 that will do everything but tuck you in. Guess which camera she likes? My Samsung is only 6 Mega Pixel, but it allows her to control the shot manually, which she likes. Ah well, I guess I am stuck with the Sony. ?

Do you own one? You have little protection compared to the 105mm, it has no lens hood, the governess to put back on religiously.
A simple Nikon D3300 but also in the tool bag,
AF-P Nikkor 10-20mm 1:4.5-5.6G wide angle,
AF-S Micro Nikkor 40MM 1:2.8G. I enjoy micro photography.
and other accessories.

My two main cameras are both Nikon... non digital... an FE2 and an FM2... neither has shot a frame of film in 12 years. Only owned 2 lenses... standard 50mm and (at the time) the sharpest lens available... the 105mm Micro Nikkor. ?
I use to have those, I loved the mechanical self timer, and being very small, but I did have a MD12 motor drive too, which made it a lot bigger.

A simple Nikon D3300 but also in the tool bag,
AF-P Nikkor 10-20mm 1:4.5-5.6G wide angle,
AF-S Micro Nikkor 40MM 1:2.8G. I enjoy micro photography.
and other accessories.
I sold my 200mm f4 micro AF. Built like a tank, and it was ideal for shy insects.

My side hustle.

View attachment 15718
Nice case, I'm to cheap!

I sold my 200mm f4 micro AF. Built like a tank, and it was ideal for shy insects.
Just looked up on Google, nice lens!?
With that lens I would have more nightmares!?

Last edited:
I use to have those, I loved the mechanical self timer, and being very small, but I did have a MD12 motor drive too, which made it a lot bigger.

More than anything else for me was the 1/250 flash sync on the FE2/FM2, for tack sharp studio flash shots... and yes the MD-12 added some size, but also reasonably quiet. But ultimately, it's all about the glass, baby!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrichesin