Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

What are the rules for sUAS use during eclipse periods?

Reaction score
This question is more for the Part 107 operators out there as I don't think it applies to a hobbyiest.

Is it illegal to operate during the darkness as it falls outside civil twilight periods, or are you required to have a strobe for illumination,are there other regulations that you should know about?

Just putting this question out there and waiting on all the smarter people then me to answer :)

And the reason I asked the question in the first place :)

Hot air balloons, drones could vie for airspace during eclipse

Unless you have a drone with an upward facing camera, this eclipse in August will not be able to be captured by a drone.
Eclipse times will range from 10:15 AM on the west coast to 2:30PM on the east coast. In August, the sun will be far
too high in the sky during the actual event. Of course you would be able to capture the landscape during the eclipse,
but without the sun in the frame, what would be the point?

This answer is assuming that the U.S. (American) laws are similar to the U.K. laws.

U.K. law:
For commercial operators, unless you have a night permission it is illegal to fly a drone more than a half hour before sunrise and a half hour after sunset. There is no specific reference to periods of eclipse, however, requirements to have the aircraft within line of site sufficient to be able to properly navigate it and take action to avoid other aircraft and such would still apply.

As was said above, though, I'm not sure if there'd be a point of flying during an eclipse given the times that its going to occur in the U.S. cos you will find it difficult to get a shot of it.

I am taking that week as vacation to go to see it, and I may try the 8.25 Peau on the SteadyGrip. No drone, no restrictions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
simsone