Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

What does a higher mAh mean for batteries? Can I buy 6700 mAh?

Reaction score
The stock batteries for my H are worn out. These are the 5400 mAh batteries. I am seeing higher mAh that say they work with the H. Like 6700 ones from Venom for example. Can anyone tell me what the higher mAh does? Longer flight time maybe?

I have an Ultrax that has 6300 mAh on it. I can't tell any real difference. The wind, altitude, and direction of my flying has not been a controlled scientific test but day in, day out, the time I can keep it in the air seems to be the same. I'm left with the impression that the Ultrax battery may have a less linear discharge rate. It seems to stay at a higher voltage for a bit longer but when it gets to 14.8 V it seems like it goes down from there faster than the Yuneec included battery I got. Would I buy another Ultrax? YES. It is at least the equal to the yuneec batt for less money.

The stock batteries for my H are worn out. These are the 5400 mAh batteries. I am seeing higher mAh that say they work with the H. Like 6700 ones from Venom for example. Can anyone tell me what the higher mAh does? Longer flight time maybe?
Mr choke, I have used 3 GiFI Power 8050mAh for 1,5 year now and are very happy with them. They give me approx. 2-3 minutes more flight time than H stock. Charged/discharged 6 times each.
No puffing so far.
Gifi Power 8050mAh LiPo Battery for YUNEEC Typhoon H

I’ll use an automobile analogy to explain this, likely in a lot more detail than the OP was looking for.

The battery is essentially the same thing as the gas tank in your car. It stores the energy required to power your vehicle. Cars have different sized gas tanks with capacities measured in gallons or liters to tell you how much fuel they will carry. The mA capacity of a battery acts the same as a gas tanks capacity in liquid measure. More mA is more available energy. Flight time from a battery is like distance with a gas tank. The time/speed/distance you drive a car determines how much fuel is consumed, depleting the quantity of fuel in the gas tank. For electric flight, time, speed, distance consumes mA, depleting the battery.

When labelled correctly, which becomes an important statement later in this description, a battery of “X” cell count having a mA capacity of 5000 would provide more flight time than a battery having the same “X” cell count with a 4000mA capacity. For accurate reference cell count is referred to as “S” in lithium battery parlance. 3s, 4s, 6s battery labeling tells you that a battery has 3, 4, or 6 individual cells.

In theory, more mA implies more flight time, but there are factors involved that can make a larger capacity battery provide less flight time. As mA capacity increases, so does the size and weight of a battery. Another item that increases battery weight is the “C” rating, which denotes how much energy the battery can discharge in a single brief condition where the maximum amount of energy can be released in an extreme demand situation. “C” is like a multiplier, where a 5C battery can discharge 5X the mA capacity in a single burst, where a 25C rated battery can instantly discharge 25X its mA capacity. The C rating helps establish how effective it will be to satisfy the electrical load placed upon it by a flight system. So increasing mA count and C ratings increases the size and weight of a battery of a given cell count. As our aircraft have a limited amount of power, an in many cases a battery dimension limited by what will fit in an opening, we are limited to a battery size size range that will fit the aircraft and still be carried without reducing flight time due to excess weight.

For the H we have the ability to use batteries with a plastic shell sized in the range of 5,000 to 8,000 mA or so. Although the factory battery is labelled as being 5,400mA we should assume it is actually of higher capacity. Several different 6,300mA battery brands have been extensively tested with the Typhoon H and all of them provide roughly similar flight time under similar conditions as the factory 5,400mA battery. When re-charging the batteries after use they required similar mA counts to be returned to a full charge state. As Yuneec has in the past "mislabeled" battery capacity with their Chroma and Q-500/Typhoon 4K systems there is adequate reason to believe they did the same with the Typhoon H battery since Yuneec's 5400mA battery provides the same flight time as most 6300mA batteries. The probability the factory battery is actually of 6300mA is very, very high.

So we can certainly use any battery of the correct voltage, or "S" count, that will fit the Typhoon H but we should be aware that we will not always obtain more flight time from a battery labelled with higher mA capacity than stock. You might end up with almost the same flight time as you did with a stock battery, but that won't be due to the larger battery being of lower quality, although that is possible. It's a bit of a crap shoot and we are dependent upon the honesty of the manufacturers with the information they provide us.

Those that obtain and use good after market charging stations that handle their batteries with the care they require learn fairly quickly which batteries perform better than others, and have batteries that should last them a couple years of use. Those that mistreat their batteries will not obtain long service life from their batteries, and can in only a couple of use cycles damage a battery, obtaining less flight time from each progressive flight. Battery swelling is an indication of a damaged battery or one that is wearing out.

Last edited:
I’ll use an automobile analogy to explaining this. The battery is essentially the same thing as the gas tank in your car. It stores the energy required to power your vehicle. Cars have different sized gas tanks with capacities measured in gallons or liters to tell you how much fuel they will carry. The mA capacity of a battery acts the same as a gas tanks capacity in liquid measure. More mA is more available energy.

When labelled correctly, which becomes an important statement later in this description, a battery of “X” cell count having a mA capacity of 5000 would provide more flight time than a battery having the same “X” cell count with a 4000mA capacity. For accurate reference cell count is referred to as “S” in lithium battery parlance. 3s, 4s, 6s battery labeling tells you that a battery has 3, 4, or 6 individual cells.

In theory, more mA implies more flight time but there are factors involved that can make a larger capacity battery provide less flight time. As mA capacity increases, so does the size and weight of a battery. Another item that increases battery weight is the “C” rating, which denotes how much energy the battery can discharge in a single timed condition where the maximum amount of energy can be released in an extreme demand situation. “C” is like a multiplier, where a 5C battery can discharge 5X the mA capacity in a single burst, where a 25C rated battery can instantly discharge 25X its mA capacity. The C rating helps establish how effective it will be to satisfy the electrical load placed upon it by a flight system.
You are 100% right Par, but still I get 2-3min more flight time from the 8050mA batteries.I have 3 stock H too to compare with

Reactions: MrChoke
The mAh rating is equvalent to the amount of fuel in a tank. This rating won't have a big impact on flight time as it's a small percentage on increase. The biggest impact on flight time will be the weight of the batteries for that difference in capacity. If they're heavier then the increased mAh is negated and increased weight adds to the delay in control. The computer monitoring flight have a fixed amount of delay between sensing a flight condition change and the response. Being heavier makes things more sluggish, even though it's fractions of a second. Battery chemistry will change physical characteristics of the battery such as gassing that can cause the battery to swell and internally the developmet of "dendrites" which are like stalagmites and stalactites. There's a lot about those, but the biggest characteristics you need to follow are weight and chemistry. The charger and power management system in the drone are designed for LiPo batteries and LiOn have really different charge/discharge characteristics. Just check evuivalency statements carefully.

I've got several 6800 mah batteries from Ebay and they're junk. They last about 5 to 7 minutes LESS than the Original Equipment batteries.

The 8,000+ mah batteries are expensive, but I do get over 5 minutes more per flight. I would not waste money on the 6700's

OK, the GiFI Power 8050mAh batteries sound good. Can I use the same stock charger that came with my H for them though?

I saw this two-at-a-time charger on Amazon but it says its for 5400 mAh
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077MXBN2W/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1PJ0S5YOZYEO4&psc=1

Does this matter?

Thanks.

I have the same charger and it works great on all the Typhoon h batteries including the 8050 mah batteries. Its a great little charger, but does run a little warm.

Reactions: MrChoke

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erothots