Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

What filters (ND's, CPL, etc) do you use and when, what sets do you have and why ?

Reaction score
I have long used a CPL for single shots but have found that they can muss up skys and other things if doing multi-pano shots.

I have used ND's for long exposure when lots of light &/or wanted that time cotton water effect.

i see sets of CPL, ND 2/4/8 and so forth.

so on a drone doing vids or stills when what filters do you use ? my cam is a cg03+, 12mp stills and 4khd normally used.

here are 2 sets:
Freewell Filter Set UV-CPL-ND4-ND8-LENS PEN For Yuneec Typhoon H | eBay
Neewer 4 Pieces Filter Kit for Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4K CGO3 Camera, Typhoon H Cam 690000398544 | eBay

I stopped using filters, I do all my adjusting through LightRoom now. I see much better results without filters and less of the grainy effect.
Same camera as you.

CPL filters are almost useless for aerial applications... in video, a constantly changing shooting angle in relation to the sun, negates any benefit. In photos, unless you are going to constantly land to re-adjust, also few to no repeatable results. The only time to use ND filters is to add more natural cinematic feel to video. ND filters are not recommended for photos in the vast majority of circumstances.

I use that Neewer NDL set and it seems fine so far. Like EEV, I reckon CPL's are a waste of time on multirotors, so don't have any of those...

CPLs are pointless without doing numerous takes and setting the CPL where it needs to be for the shot.

ND filters though are best for film/video as they allow you to achieve that film like cinematography if you're going that route.

I have the Freewell set and love using the ND 32 for filming during bright days. The limitation though is still with the camera since having the ability to change the camera settings while recording makes it a bit difficult to adjust for the changing lighting conditions but a lot is fixable in post.

Reactions: DCH
I'll throw in an "Amen" to the CPL being worthless for us. Seems like Sun flair is our biggest enemy, and I've noticed using external filters seems to amplify the effect. Has anyone ever tried the Sun Shade for the CGO3+? Doesn't look like it would do much if anything, but then again anything would help. Anyone having any luck with a Sun Shade?
...That would be worth a "Hallelujah"!

I'll throw in an "Amen" to the CPL being worthless for us. Seems like Sun flair is our biggest enemy, and I've noticed using external filters seems to amplify the effect. Has anyone ever tried the Sun Shade for the CGO3+? Doesn't look like it would do much if anything, but then again anything would help. Anyone having any luck with a Sun Shade?
...That would be worth a "Hallelujah"!

i bought a "sun shade" on ebay when they first appeared a couple of years ago. very flimsy, and the bayonet mount was nearly impossible to mount. it would not attach smoothly and easily...not precisely made...and so flimsy that you didn't want to try "harder" to make it install for fear it would break. i returned it.

those 2 shootings were made with a C23 and ND filters
i shoot only with filters and pretty happy

i dont think I can shoot without filters ;)

PS: FREEWELL stopped the production of the YUNEEC H520 / H PLUS filters

b1_GPR.jpg

c4_GPR.jpg

Since you get your best image at ISO 100, on a bright day, the shutter speed will have to be very fast. That's fine for still photographs. But for video, the fast shutter speed will give the video an undesirable staccato effect during pans and tilts. The solution is to use ND filters on bright days for video only. I use the Polar Pro ND16 in the bright sun.

As for the sun shade, I like to find home-made solutions when commercial products don't cut it. Here's what I made from an aluminum soda can and epoxy mounted onto an ND16 filter. It works great when shooting towards the sun (unless the sun is very low in the sky). I trimmed the shield while looking at the UHD video feed to get the maximum shading without interfering with the image. The shield does show up in 4:3 stills. I've been using this successfully for a couple of years on my CGO3+.

DSC02025.JPG

Reactions: AussieCate
thx

for the reason it is simple
because when I am in the air I shoot video (priority) but also pictures,
I mean I make many rushes to make my final videos on FCPX
so when I finish one rush, regularly I change to picture mode to shoot because I feel that it could be interesting to have a pic
the picture of the train is the best representation, I had the best angle after finishing a video shooting and from video (when I stoped recording) I switched to picture and shot, on the H520 it is pretty quick :)

It will be clearly loosing time to make a RTH and then change filter for none to come back at the same point to shoot picture
so I shoot video and picture with same filter (so depending of the conditions for the video: ND16, 32 etc)
and never ever had problems on photoshop/camera raw to manage the DNG produced
i am used to it and I am not a professional so it is ok so far

These photos are VERY nice!
Why do you use ND filters for still photography?

Reactions: Rubik

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drakemerch33