Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

What Firmware build was installed when your H Plus fell out of the Sky?

DCH

Dr. FrankenPhoon
Reaction score
I don't like digging up painful memories, but I'm looking for a common thread between all the H Pluss that have recently fallen out of the sky. There seems to be an increase in these incidents lately and since I do not remember this happening before build 822/829, I can't help but wonder if they all had the most recent firmware. Were all the crash victims using 822/829? Or has there been a fall with an older firmware? If this is only happening to the latest build, then that is a very good reason to downgrade to Build 784.

...Plus crash victims unite! ...And please share

Reactions: Euphered
@per.strandqvist had his crash 25 Aug, 2018 he was probably on the first OTA firmware. @Ty Pilot may recall what that would be.

There have also been similar incidents with the H520 which uses the same hardware.

Reactions: Steve Carr
If there was a crash last August, that would have either been the original firmware which was 05072018 (this is what mine had when I got it last July 4th) or if he upgraded when the first firmware appeared here in the states; that would be August 1st or 08012018. I am still running the 08012018 firmware.

It may also help to distinguish between US and EU versions but I am not sure.

Reactions: DCH
I still think the batterys did not snap in correctly. I have installed a battery and heard a click but I could see a gap so I push it again and then I heard that latch snap. If you throw out the firmware as a possible problem then that leaves the battery not being fully set in and why it starts off flying fine then loses power and drops. The power clips are about a 1/4" long and with the weight of the battery it would not take much to move it back words and lose connection.

It has been well documented with all the Yuneec hex designs, that there are 2 clicks when inserting the battery... the first being the front of the battery making contact with the male pins at the front of the battery compartment... the second being the clicking of the locking latch at the rear of the battery.

As mentioned above you will have no gap present if the battery latch has been locked... also if you pull back on the battery from the sides, without lifting the rear cover... you should not be able to dislodge it.

Reactions: Tiffin 2018
There are also solder joints in the manufacturing process to contend with. A cold solder joint will fail after a being subjected to vibration over a period of time. As few have disassembled the aircraft after a crash to inspect connection points there is virtually no information to reference in this area.

There are certainly several explanations for the fall of the H PLUS, including the poor fixing of the battery, the sudden loss of internal power which can be caused by several factors and the updating of the firmware. Even if I stayed with the 784, I do not think that a new firmware can cause a sudden stop of flight, a bad behavior yes, a fall, no.
After trust does the rest.
I am more worried about batteries that have more and more difficulties to fit into the body of the H PLUS. A battery must have room to expand during use, and there it stuck too much.
The batteries of the H 480 penetrate much better, even the oldest ones

I do not think that a new firmware can cause a sudden stop of flight, a bad behavior yes, a fall, no.
I agree. I have never heard of any firmware update causing this kind of problem. A few years ago many also claimed a firmware update cause a problem on the H480. That proved to be untrue.
few have disassembled the aircraft after a crash to inspect connection points
Actually I did a very close inspection following a shut down. That included moving wires while it was powered on, a bounce test and radical g-force hand maneuvers. I could not duplicate the shut down. Of course, it's still possible there is a common mechanical cause that we have not found. But it's equally possible there is a component failure. Also puzzling was a rapid voltage drop just prior to the event which was just 23 seconds after liftoff. The battery tested good. So was it a voltage sensor error or a real voltage drop? We just don't know.

Reactions: DCH
A firmware CANNOT cause a crash, but a panic can. A firmware can cause a fly way, and that’s when the drone falls out of the sky, after crashing a mile away.

Batteries are 100% drone killers, and most caused by pilot error, regardless of the firmware and drone that you fly.

A bad firmware is usually a nuance.

Here’s my recent flight Flight Review

For the 3rd time, spaced out within weeks and a month a part, flying Build 822/829 the THP stalled in mid air for a good 10 seconds did a wobble, as it did prior to my first experience, with the build, but I continued with the mission each time, and it landed the drone in one piece. Lucky? I don’t bet on it, in every event, I’ve been able to stay calm.

Last edited:
Here’s my recent flight Flight Review

For the 3rd time, spaced out within weeks and a month a part, flying Build 822/829 the THP stalled in mid air for a good 10 seconds did a wobble, as it did prior to my first experience, with the build, but I continued with the mission each time, and it landed the drone in one piece. Lucky? I don’t bet on it, in every event, I’ve been able to stay calm.
Well, I will not stay calm with these radio cuts. I have never met this case.:oops:
I know that your work suffers a lot of electro-magnetic disturbances, and that you know what you are doing.

Last edited:
784 was the least affected.

I and some complained about 822/829 but left unanswered by Yuneec, which made me believe a lot of things, but I will not get into the details anymore, because simply there is nothing we can do.

784 was the least affected.

I and some complained about 822/829 but left unanswered by Yuneec, which made me believe a lot of things, but I will not get into the details anymore, because simply there is nothing we can do.
That's what I think too

It would be interesting if someone would install an amp load measuring device inline with the battery to record the peak current loading experienced by the battery. Because of the power supply connection design doing do so would require some creative modification to incorporate the device.

As the power system in the Plus and 520 are more demanding than the H, if the Plus battery’s actual C rating was too low for the imposed load it would be possible to pull more load than the battery could deliver and create a “brown out” condition where some parts of the system might fail to receive adequate current and reduce functionality in the process. Once a high load demand was reduced battery voltage would rise enough to return functionality.

So how many power loss cases due we know of so far because this doesn't sound like a major issue when looking at all the H Plus's sold.

How many were sold? And we're not purvey to know how many have been sent back to Yuneec.

Reactions: oliver
For anyone following this thread, here are some points that some may have missed.

1] We all know that there have been cases (Typhoon H, H Plus and possibly even 520) where the battery was not properly installed and lost contact in flight and subsequently fell to the ground. In these cases, the very last line of telemetry typically shows the aircraft at altitude and flying normal with good voltage. When this is the last line of telemetry it tends to support the loose battery theory/conclusion.

2] With the Typhoon H Plus however, there have been cases where the telemetry shows a drastic drop in voltage mid-flight, followed by several types of error messages and then the telemetry shows rapid decent (fall) as well as attitudes in pitch and roll that are impossible (tumbling). In such a case, the telemetry is still being written after engine failure and this tends NOT to support the loose battery but rather a possible electric component failure or as DCH is suspecting; something written into the new firmware that causes a series of events that leads to the catastrophic electric failure. This is what we are looking for.

There are at least two known cases where this has happened and Yuneec fully replaced the entire kit and there may be more.

Reactions: Steve Carr and DCH
It would be interesting if someone would install an amp load measuring device inline with the battery to record the peak current loading experienced by the battery. Because of the power supply connection design doing do so would require some creative modification to incorporate the device.

As the power system in the Plus and 520 are more demanding than the H, if the Plus battery’s actual C rating was too low for the imposed load it would be possible to pull more load than the battery could deliver and create a “brown out” condition where some parts of the system might fail to receive adequate current and reduce functionality in the process. Once a high load demand was reduced battery voltage would rise enough to return functionality.
I totally agree, except that it's up to Yuneec and his engineers to do the job!
I have done a lot of research and development for my life, and I think I know how to proceed to find an anomaly in a concept. But, we speak in front of a cave, without echo ...
I want to participate in improving the product, because I like its design, but disassemble my H PLUS to equip the sensor, I wait for retirement! LOL
But I really appreciate the people who try to understand, finally all of you :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval