Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

What would make the Yaw respond slow

Reaction score
I fly a Q - 500 and went flying today, On my flight, I notice my Yaw was responding slow as I made my turns. What would cause the Yaw to responds slow ? I've flew to 2 - 3 different Q - 500 and this is really responding slow compare to other ones. So I played it safe and Landed...…….. Some help would be Appreciated !

Just clean the pots. I had the same reduction in yaw speed with a Chroma. A little alcohol on the pots and stirring the sticks fixed it.

Reactions: thoneter
Just clean the pots. I had the same reduction in yaw speed with a Chroma. A little alcohol on the pots and stirring the sticks fixed it.
HI PatR - I have the Typhoon H480 (Pro) and I realised it's very slow to respond and my flight instructor noted it's slowness too. I've checked the hardware monitor and it is responsive to 100 left and right. a Calibration has been done from the secret location. Do you suggest the same fix despite the readings I'm getting?

I've checked the hardware monitor and it is responsive to 100 left and right.
NOTE: This discussion applies to the Typhoon H480/ ST16 in response to @AussieCate's post above. It is NOT fully applicable to the original Q500/ST10 discussion of this thread.
Please understand what you see on "Hardware Monitor" is NOT the final value going to the Typhoon H (see below). A better idea of what is being sent can be had by a quick double tap of the "volts" on the main screen. Check the display that comes up. CH4 should range from about +80 to -80 (with the Rabbit/Turtle full up). If the Yaw is too low, we can discuss how to resolve.

Signal Overview.jpg
Final Display.jpg

Yes as one of mine did the same thing. Cleaning the pots cleared it up. This far I’ve experienced slow yaw with two aircraft: a Chroma and an H-480 and resolution was the same for both.

Do not calibrate anything until cleaning.

If the Yaw is too low, we can discuss how to resolve.

View attachment 20005
View attachment 20000
Thank you I'll have time in 12 hrs to look into this further.

Yes as one of mine did the same thing. Cleaning the pots cleared it up.
Do not calibrate anything until cleaning.
Thank you for your input too. As above I'll have time in 12hrs to look into this further. In the meantime I'll continue researching and reading and watching to be more knowledgeable with my gear.

Two other things to consider for this. The first is whether Obstacle Avoidance is on as it slows response somewhat. The other is that you did the secret menu calibration and if it was done and the rate slider was not centered but forward toward rabbit when the first part of the calibration was exited, it could result in reduced response rate like being in turtle.

Reactions: AussieCate and PatR
Doom,
Good of you to post that as a reminder to center knobs and sliders before and after a calibration. Starting a calibration with a control device off center will definitely skew the perceived center point and limit control function.

Reactions: DoomMeister
Doom,
Good of you to post that as a reminder to center knobs and sliders before and after a calibration. Starting a calibration with a control device off center will definitely skew the perceived center point and limit control function.
Thanks Pat.

I would not have considered it but for the fact that Cate mentioned doing the calibration. There are several videos on YT, but only two or three show the centering of the sliders, sticks, and pan knob before exiting that first half.

Going back in time a bit, the first time I calibrated an H I started with the speed and gimbal sliders fully down. That really limited camera tilt and flight speed.

Two other things to consider for this. The first is whether Obstacle Avoidance is on as it slows response somewhat. The other is that you did the secret menu calibration and if it was done and the rate slider was not centered but forward toward rabbit when the first part of the calibration was exited, it could result in reduced response rate like being in turtle.
Thank you for your reply. OA was off and I've (thought so anyway) been meticulous with having the sliders in the centre. I'll head out again today to trial it in no wind.
CH04 appears to be 0 to 50% - as per your image but with 000% at the top header - unlike Ch01 where the pointer is at the same place and has 050% in the header. Interesting the channel is/has expo .... have no idea what it means but I will by the end of this problem solving.
Screenshot_2020-01-31-07-31-23.png
Screenshot_2020-01-31-07-31-39.png

Last edited:
CH04 appears to be 0 to 50% - as per your image but with 000% at the top header - unlike Ch01 where the pointer is at the same place and has 050% in the header.

I suspect this is going back to a deeper discussion of the channel calibration or pot cleaning, but first please confirm your screens in comparison to these.
J2 Center.png J2 Left.png J2 Right.jpg
Settings Page J2 Centered.jpg Settings Page J2 Left.jpg Settings Page J2 Right.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like you figured out the screen shots!!!

The Channel display looks normal. With the Rate Slider in Turtle you will see a CH04 output about +/-50% when using J2 (Yaw). If you put the Rate Slider to full Rabbit the values will be about +/-80%.

In the Channel Settings screen your settings are normal for J2. They use the 20% Exponential to reduce response near the null position so panning will be less jumpy. The Rate is also limited to 80% at maximum stick input to keep the yaw rate at a reasonable level.

Reactions: AussieCate
Looks like you figured out the screen shots!!!

The Channel display looks normal. With the Rate Slider in Turtle you will see a CH04 output about +/-50% when using J2 (Yaw). If you put the Rate Slider to full Rabbit the values will be about +/-80%.

Thank you for your input ... dang I just did the screen shots and forgot to move the slider .... Argh! Should I do another set with the slider in Hare (rabbit) mode?
Regards,

Thank you for your input ... dang I just did the screen shots and forgot to move the slider .... Argh! Should I do another set with the slider in Hare (rabbit) mode?
Regards,

No. I was about to ask if you had it in Turtle Mode. Those readings are normal for Turtle Mode.
Your mention of "Sticky Pots" maybe suggests a little more cleaning for that issue, but overall, the output looks normal.

You had mentioned the Yaw was slow in comparison to other Q500s you had flown.
Were these also flown using the ST16, or were they flown with an ST10+?

No. I was about to ask if you had it in Turtle Mode. Those readings are normal for Turtle Mode.
Your mention of "Sticky Pots" maybe suggests a little more cleaning for that issue, but overall, the output looks normal.

You had mentioned the Yaw was slow in comparison to other Q500s you had flown.
Were these also flown using the ST16, or were they flown with an ST10+?
Again thank you - newbie at this maintenance and optimum usage and appreciate the time and effort of everyone here. I've never cleaned them and it's been suggested to use the oil free electrical contact cleaner in the front and back. Thus covering all bases and getting informed before I fiddle too much.
1. Q500's - I only jumped on this thread because I couldn't find one directly for the TH480. I have TH480 (Pro).
2. Yaw too slow - I was meaning in comparison to the instructors Phantom 2's were using for the fly school for our (Australian) licence. The instructor thinks the yaw should be tighter (faster?) even in hare mode. Please note he uses DJI P for school but Inspire and Matice for his cinematography (and others).
ST16 charging then I'll be out to practise (it's 11am here).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval