Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

When is a LIPO battery to puffed up to be used?

Anybody could post that their flying with that battery, I could put up a stick of dynamite and claim I fly with it. It's going to get stuck in the copter one day and be a devil to get out. I personally wouldn't fly with it I don't fancy meeting trouble half way and have to deal with a potential fire.

That's why I mentioned it's a matter of opinion.
The risk is minimal, and if it does one day get stuck, well, I'll have to do some surgery.✂??⛏???????‍♂️

That's why I mentioned it's a matter of opinion.
The risk is minimal, and if it does one day get stuck, well, I'll have to do some surgery.✂??⛏???????‍♂️
I suppose with you YouTube you have to be careful separating the wheat from the chaff. Can be some misleading stuff on there and some excellent videos too.

Getting stuck would not be my biggest concern. Puffed lipos can fail suddenly, and sometimes catastrophically. They are also ticking time bombs when being charged.
Yea that's why I put the ticking sound affects in the video followed by the explosion.?

Reactions: FLDirector19
Didn't watch the video. I was on my phone with a crappy connection!!

I used to know a guy who sold lipos here in SOCAL. He was VP of a battery company and did the lipos on the side. He was fond of saying that there is no such thing as a "little puffed." Just like thee is no such thing as a little pregnant.

Reactions: bigfoot65
I’ll only ask what the value of a battery is worth to people. Is $60.00 to $120.00 worth putting your home, shop, garage, car, or lives of your family and pets in peril? How about starting a wildfire that you will be held responsible for?

The only reason people choose to continue using a puffy battery is because they don’t want to spend the money for a new one. If you can’t afford new batteries as others wear out or are damaged you should not be flying electric aircraft. You are not being cost efficient or thrifty, you are being foolish.

There is a lot of information about the perils of flying with damaged lipo's. Look at the MAAC or AMA safety guidelines. Once a lipo puffs, the chemistry in the battery is damaged. If you have a proper internal resistance meter you could measure it. I also fly a lot of rc fixed wing aircraft at a couple of MAAC (similar to AMA in the US) fields and the safety rule for puffed batteries is very clear. Once your battery puffs, it is no longer trustworthy and poses a safety risk. The level of that risk is what some folks argue about. Simply put, a puffed lipo can fail suddenly, because of the increased internal resistance it poses a much greater fire hazard when being charged, and I personally have seen one explode with serious consequences when somebody was using a charger off their car battery to charge a badly puffed battery. Fortunately, no one was hurt but it did start a fire. I know that the batteries aren't cheap, but safety first. Yes, I also know people who have flown for a while with puffed batteries and they will tell you that the batteries are fine...until you meter them up and show really high internal resistance which as well as the issues I pointed out above, reduces the flying time as the output and capacity can also be affected. Furthermore...just think about it....you have $1000+ sUAV and you're going to risk it with a puffed battery because you don't want to spend $60-$100 bucks on a new one? Ome more thing, puffing most often occurs when a battery is over drawn or run too low...or stored at full capacity for a long time. Battery care is a must from both a safety and economic point of view.

Reactions: PatR
I can afford to replace all of my eight puffed batteries, money isn't the issue with me!
Stubborn? most likely!

....there (sic) is no such thing as a little pregnant.....

Or
Kinda dead
Almost married
Just looking
Buy 8 batteries
Just the tip

Good luck finding eight
I know of two more OEM's that I can purchase tomorrow. I bought one about 4 months ago, very happy with the flight time, 17:53 minutes
That's why I'm hanging onto my eight puffed batteries, hard to replace all.

I know of two more OEM's that I can purchase tomorrow. I bought one about 4 months ago, very happy with the flight time, 17:53 minutes
That's why I'm hanging onto my eight puffed batteries, hard to replace all.
Nought in UK. Yuneec say a big order coming in two weeks, but I've heard that before in May and June.

I'm still waiting for the one from Jessop's that I ordered on 11th June!
I got mine on 10th July, wasn't new 2016. There was an eBay seller stocking Ultrax ones in USA, via Global shipping programme. But I reckon it would of been stopped in customs. If yuneec get them in I'll have 4 or 5 just to be on safe side.

I got mine on 10th July, wasn't new 2016. There was an eBay seller stocking Ultrax ones in USA, via Global shipping programme. But I reckon it would of been stopped in customs. If yuneec get them in I'll have 4 or 5 just to be on safe side.
Well, I'm in Scotland at the moment but when I get back home I'll chase them up and if there's still no joy I'll cancel it and try to source a couple from elsewhere. It's getting on for two months I've been waiting on this order and on the web page I ordered it from it said 10 days.

Lindisfarne tomorrow morning The Holy Island of Lindisfarne and maybe Bamburgh Castle Bamburgh Castle | Northumberland

Going early doors so I can be on and off the island by 12:10PM Northumberland County Council

Well, I'm in Scotland at the moment but when I get back home I'll chase them up and if there's still no joy I'll cancel it and try to source a couple from elsewhere. It's getting on for two months I've been waiting on this order and on the web page I ordered it from it said 10 days.

Lindisfarne tomorrow morning The Holy Island of Lindisfarne and maybe Bamburgh Castle Bamburgh Castle | Northumberland

Going early doors so I can be on and off the island by 12:10PM Northumberland County Council

Attachments

• d77fdded8230bc739fed8f0d3484ac20.jpg
    d77fdded8230bc739fed8f0d3484ac20.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 20

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
premadsoftwaresolutions