Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

When is it to cold to fly

Reaction score
Hey all,,Its getting a bit cool in S.E MICH,,,
I don't mind the colder temps but not sure if my TYPHOON H+ will like it..
I worry about the st-16 and the camera in the colder air,,,is the upper 30s a problem,,? do you fly in the winter months?

Both the camera and the St-16 are fine in the Winter months generally, and I have flown in -10 (14F) without problems with the standard H, and I have no reason to think the + is any different. Battery packs chill quickly and lose flight time accordingly, so keep those in your pockets or in a warm car 'til ready to fly...

Reactions: plissken
Both the camera and the St-16 are fine in the Winter months generally, and I have flown in -10 (14F) without problems with the standard H, and I have no reason to think the + is any different. Battery packs chill quickly and lose flight time accordingly, so keep those in your pockets or in a warm car 'til ready to fly...
Thank you for the quick repley AREOJ,,I was thinking it would be ok but nice to hear from someone that has flown in colder temps..

Have flown when temps were in the single digits (F).

The one thing I do notice, aside from reduced flight times, is the gimbal will stiffen. Apparently the rubber dampers don't like the cold so much and will not provide as much stabilization as when warmer. Usually get a flight or two before noticing a degradation. Seems to coincide with a personal desire to get back inside and warm up the hands and fingers. Go figure!

Jeff

Reactions: plissken
I had my last winter shoveling snow and white knuckle driving on inclined roads 2 years ago and I have no apologies for saying good riddance. Too many other fun things to do in a warmer climate. Putting on a new roof in the hot summer sun has more appeal for me than dealing with snow and ice bound winters.

As for flying the H in the cold, if you keep the batteries warm and recognize flight time will become shorter with colder temps it will fly longer than you will be comfortable flying it.

Flew my Breeze 4k in 22 Deg weather in PA on Thanksgiving shooting video and it was fine.

Have flown when temps were in the single digits (F).

The one thing I do notice, aside from reduced flight times, is the gimbal will stiffen. Apparently the rubber dampers don't like the cold so much and will not provide as much stabilization as when warmer. Usually get a flight or two before noticing a degradation. Seems to coincide with a personal desire to get back inside and warm up the hands and fingers. Go figure!

Jeff
Have you flown while snow was falling? Or is the tyhoon h water resistant?

Reactions: AJan
If you must, or want to, fly in cold temps, consider keeping your fully charged batteries in a Coleman or Yeti type cooler to keep them warm until needed. Have heard of pilots also using bean bags they have warmed in a microwave to keep batteries warm in extreme cold weather. I have successfully flow in +28 F without taking any additional steps other than placing the spare battery in my coat's pocket. The flights were successful. As with any advice you read in any forum, do not consider this as expert advice; just a thought. Good luck.

Have you flown while snow was falling? Or is the tyhoon h water resistant?

Most importantly, the H series (and most UAVs, I presume) are NOT water resistant, unless specifically built as such (or modified.)

As for flying in snow, yes... I have done so without issue. Visibility was fine at take-off. Light snow started during flight. Landed soon after as visibility lessened.

No issues with the aircraft were observed. That was for me. Your mileage may vary.

The issue I did have was keeping the snow off the ST16.

Jeff

Last edited:
I made several flights with my trusty TH in Central Washington last week in clear, cold weather. I noticed that the batteries dropped very rapidly from 16.6v to 14.6v. The voltage then hovered around mid-14's for the rest of the flight of about 8 minutes each. Landed at 14.4v. I had not taken any extraordinary steps to warm the batteries. In the future, I will.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adanidharavi