Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Who’s got wind trouble[emoji85]

Reaction score
Anyone found this drone a little delicate to handle when the wind is just over 3mph? I have a wind meter that I carry now. My phantom was hardcore in the wind.

Thanks but still seems a little unstable. What sort of wind speeds have you flown in?

I live on a hill so we get higher winds than what's measured at street level nearby by about +3 - +5 MPH, so if the Weather Channel says we've got 12 MPH, I'm flying in ~15 MPH. Not ideal conditions, to be sure, but it is what it are.

Haven't had more than a healthy scare, thankfully, but typically I can elevate above the trouble, if it's more due to the topography than actual wind speed. Typically I get turbulence to about 40ft up, but above that it's relatively clear. I have had a stray gust spin the drone around about 45 degrees from the heading I was on, but let off the sticks and it rights itself.

One scare I had was a steady surface-level 20+ MPH and a low battery warning at the same time. Did the pee-pee dance until it eased up enough to land safely. LOL

Anyone found this drone a little delicate to handle when the wind is just over 3mph? I have a wind meter that I carry now. My phantom was hardcore in the wind.
The rated wind speed of the Q500 is 12 mph. Always fly upwind at the beginning of the flight. The Q would hardly notice wind at 3 mph. Can you provide a better description of the problem?

I thought this was a bit uncharacteristic for this drone. I'm going to take it out this evening in winds of approx 5-10mph. My st10 firmware is on the US for some reason so I'm going to flash to the UK firmware and I will calibrate the compass. Firmware is latest on Drone and Camera.

Will keep you informed of the evenings flight.

Thanks

Reactions: Steve Carr
I decided to attempt a river crossing yesterday in +15 mph winds. Had to turn back halfway because as you can see, the drone was getting hammered. High winds also drain the battery much more quickly. Also the camera wasn’t level with the horizon.

try a compass calibration , it may help .
fly safe
I agree, a compass calibration can really help a skittish bird settle down.

I was having trouble in very low winds (as you seem to be) and that fixed me right up. After I calibrated, I got very stable reactions in winds over 15-20 mph.

HTH

TW

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHYradio