Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Whose sky is it anyway? U.S. drone case tests rights to air space

LuvMyTJ

Admin
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
It's about time! See the entire story at the source listed...

When a small town American roofer took legal action against a neighbor for shooting down his drone, the local dispute sparked a case that could help shape the newest frontier of property rights law – who owns the air.

Drone owner David Boggs filed a claim for declaratory judgment and damages in the Federal Court after his neighbor William Merideth from Hillview in the southern state of Kentucky blasted his $1,800 drone with a shotgun in July last year.

Boggs argued to the District Court in Kentucky that the action was not justified as the drone was not trespassing nor invading anyone's privacy, while Merideth - who dubs himself the "drone slayer" - said it was over his garden and his daughter.

After a year of counter argument, a decision on which court jurisdiction should hear the complaint is expected within weeks and this could set new precedents for U.S. law.

SOURCE: Whose sky is it anyway? U.S. drone case tests rights to air space

Reactions: Ana Rosa and Rayray
I checked it out.
Did you go down and open up the numerous comments. Holy Moly, I never imagined folks could be like some of these are.

The space above your home upto 500' is your property. Just like the fence on the ground no one should cross it. You have a right to protect your property if you feel anyone is threatning your privacy or safety. The guy with the gun will win.

Now i have an idea! Shooting drones over your property is dangerous. A device that deactivates the drone as it enters your airspace would be freaking awesome. Down the drone call the police and have the operator pay fines to recover his toy that clearly fell in your property.

The space above your home upto 500' is your property. Just like the fence on the ground no one should cross it. You have a right to protect your property if you feel anyone is threatning your privacy or safety. The guy with the gun will win.
This information is incorrect.
A landowner "owns at least as much of the space above the ground as he can occupy or use in connection with the land".
This has been a guiding principle of U.S. law for more than 70 years.

Now i have an idea! Shooting drones over your property is dangerous. A device that deactivates the drone as it enters your airspace would be freaking awesome. Down the drone call the police and have the operator pay fines to recover his toy that clearly fell in your property.
HAHAHA are you for real?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erothots