Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Why are CGO3 still-photos so poor?

Reaction score
I'm perplexed by the CGO3's performance. The camera produces great video at low ISOs when using the "Gorgeous" setting. But still-photos often come out poor, even when using DNG. The lighting is flat, colors are somewhat washed out, and the overall image is not that sharp. I have tried adjusting exposure, contrast, etc. with my RAW editor, but with only minor improvements.

Any ideas?

Always a classy response to a person's question. AKA the "internet forum elitist who can't be arsed to just either help you out or skip past the thread and ignore it".
Geez I hate that crap. Way to make a relatively new person feel welcome here.

STILL Photo's is not a strong point of this camera. Video is fine when exposure is set correctly as the OP has noted that he has not had any problems with Video but photo's.

Here is a link to some cheat sheets.

CGO3 Video Modes Quick Reference

I have been flying my 4k almost two years. Here is the best I can produce in a still image. Maybe Yuneec can show us all how to get better results. This photo was edited using Adobe Lightroom CC.
It was a DNG Capture and not from the video file.

Attachments

• Farm 4.jpg
    Farm 4.jpg
    653.3 KB · Views: 128
No doubt my Cgo2 shoots better stills than my Cgo3.
Lately I've been working on pulling still shoots from the Cgo3 video.
I'm just not set up well for doing much video editing.
I have Cyberlink Power Director Ultimate loaded now but my time for learning is limited.
The still shoots I did get from the video are okay but nothing for showing.Just playing around.
:)

Reactions: TheDhuddist
STILL Photo's is not a strong point of this camera. Video is fine when exposure is set correctly as the OP has noted that he has not had any problems with Video but photo's.

Here is a link to some cheat sheets.

CGO3 Video Modes Quick Reference

I have been flying my 4k almost two years. Here is the best I can produce in a still image. Maybe Yuneec can show us all how to get better results. This photo was edited using Adobe Lightroom CC.
It was a DNG Capture and not from the video file.

Wow! To me that looks like an awesome photo. I do have very bad vision, though. I wish I could discern images better than I can. :( Or is it like that because you already edited it? I'm trying to get an idea of what you guys put into your still images prior to the "final product" being finished. I use GIMP but I'm not very handy with it. Is it better to pull frames from the video? I've never done that, either, but I'd be willing to try if it produced the best results.

Reactions: stedgar
Hi Red bird 007
I will show you my setting for photos with acceptable results.......
1.Be sure you shoot in DNG...you now the setting on remote control display the small RED switch must be in Photo position Not in Video.......check every time you open the remote because same time for some reason its switch in Video mode automatic....
2.I use Camera Row and Photoshop CC in Camera Row I adjust the Exposure,Highlights,Shadows and Colors
in the Photoshop I go Filter -Lens distortions-Manually and Filter-Sharpness.
The results are below

Attachments

• ales1.jpg
    ales1.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 105
  • ales2.jpg
    ales2.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 92
  • ales3.jpg
    ales3.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 77
  • mod2.jpg
    mod2.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 78
  • YUN00009.jpg
    YUN00009.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 70
  • YUN00065.jpg
    YUN00065.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 80
  • YUN00075.jpg
    YUN00075.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 61
Reactions: stedgar
Hello Everyone. The photos shared in this thread are awesome! Here is my question.

I understand that setting the camera to DNG will yield the best photo quality. I tried setting my CG03 to that setting prior to stating the props and flying.

I took several photos and landed the Q500 4K back. Shut the unit down. Restarted the unit, flew and took more photos. I figured that my second flight would reset the camera settings to standard JPG.

When I reviewed the photos on the card the next day, there were no DNG photo files. Did I miss a setting? Anyone else having this problem?

Further, I have all of the firmware updates installed.

Thank you.

Where you looking at the card that was in the camera?

Was you using the button on the left side.....not the right side....If you used the correct button you should have heard the ST10 Controller make a click sound like the shutter button being released on a camera. It would have made that noise if the picture took. You can test this all out on the kitchen table without the motors running.

Thank you Wingshooter for your response.

Yes, I used the picture button on the left side. I will set the unit up on the kitchen table as suggested, and try and take a few photos using the DNG setting to see if indeed I will work. I shall respond with my findings.

If I change from photo to video, does that change the camera setting back to JPG, assuming that is the default?

On another note, on the video side, is there a setting to permanently turn on sound with my videos or do I have to always manually turn it on before flight?

Hello Wingshooter. Did as you recommended. I believe the setting for DNG type file is "RAW" on the CG03 camera setting. Took photos and then took videos, etc. Checked the CG03 camera settings and still was set to "RAW". Pulled the card and checked the files. I can see there are JPG and MP4 files but no DNG or RAW files. So, for us uninformed folks, is the camera setting to RAW and the end result of JPG files one in the same? Honestly, I do not see a difference in files size or quality. Thanks.

I don't think you had DNG selected in the setup. On the ST10 from the Main Screen select the little cog wheel at the bottom right.

View media item 576
Then select OK

Change the Photo Mode to DNG

View media item 577
Then return out of these screens.

Now on the Main Screen Select PHOTO MODE

View media item 578
Use the top left button to take a photo. (Not the Red Button but the one above it.) You should now see DNG Files on your card if you do all this. JPG Photos will still appear on the card if you use the Left Button but are still in VIDEO MODE.

Last edited:
Reactions: chimpax and Jafo
Thank you Wingshooter. The photo posts were helpful. Here is what I have determined. (1) In order to modify the camera photo properties as shown on the photo posts, the camera model must be selected to C-G03-PRO and not C-G03 as mine was. No wonder I could not set anything! This can be found in the Flight Settings under Camera Select. This setting provides a whole new list of options for the camera.

The settings for selecting DNG were as you explained. THis is what I found out during my experiment. You can only select DNG or JPG, not both. On the screen in the third photo post, there are two icons on the right side of the display. One icon is video (top) and camera (bottom). When you select the Video Icon and take photos, the files will be saved in JPG. When you select the Camera Icon and take photos, the files will be saved in DNG. There are no DNG and JPG files saved for the same image that I can determine. Am I correct? Or is there yet another setting that I am missing.

Thank you!

Reactions: rearickj
I'm not a photographer by any means but I think it takes good stills and video.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170910-090331.png
    Screenshot_20170910-090331.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 54
Reactions: pete c
Hi Red bird 007
I will show you my setting for photos with acceptable results.......
1.Be sure you shoot in DNG...you now the setting on remote control display the small RED switch must be in Photo position Not in Video.......check every time you open the remote because same time for some reason its switch in Video mode automatic....
2.I use Camera Row and Photoshop CC in Camera Row I adjust the Exposure,Highlights,Shadows and Colors
in the Photoshop I go Filter -Lens distortions-Manually and Filter-Sharpness.
The results are below

Very nice !

Who complains about the CGO 3 stills results are poor ? please check the results below :
Touch-up in Photoshop & Camera Raw ,lens correction,color correction ,filters sharpness ,highlights & shadow ajustements was made.

Attachments

• Fort Chambly.jpg
    Fort Chambly.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 56
  • YUN00009.jpg
    YUN00009.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 49
  • YUN00036.jpg
    YUN00036.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 45
  • YUN00063.jpg
    YUN00063.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 40
  • YUN00083.jpg
    YUN00083.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 42
  • YUN00165.jpg
    YUN00165.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 49
  • YUN00263.jpg
    YUN00263.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 44
  • YUN00448.jpg
    YUN00448.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 42
  • YUN00689-2.jpg
    YUN00689-2.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 47
  • YUN01186.jpg
    YUN01186.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 49
Who complains about the CGO 3 stills results are poor ? please check the results below :
Touch-up in Photoshop & Camera Raw ,lens correction,color correction ,filters sharpness ,highlights & shadow ajustements was made.

Stunning

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelNiece