Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Why does the Typhoon H break recorded videos in to sections?

Reaction score
I did my first recording today in 4K resolution using the included memory card. I then inserted the card in to my MacBook which I discovered that there were three different videos of the single recording session.

Why did the H break the recording in to three sections instead of just having one?

It appears the CGO cameras are programmed to keep files limited to 5 minutes. It is possible this is to prevent an entire flight video from being corrupted if a glitch were to occur. When you put the files together in an editor they are seamless. Even if the 5 minutes limit was removed, the Fat32 file system has a max file size, so 4k video would still be segmented.

Most camera drones record videos in spurts of 5-8 minute videos, and the shorter and more with the higher you go in resolution(4K)

I can see the logic of recording in chunks (You only lose one chunk if things get corrupted) but it'd be nice to have the option of switching it to record the whole lot in one go.

It is a file size limit affecting all cards; not a time limit. Go Pros do the same thing, DJI Ps have the same issue.

The important question is do the files stitch together without losing frames. Go Pros don't loose frames, the P owners are disappointed to see lost frames between one file and the next.

I can see the logic of recording in chunks (You only lose one chunk if things get corrupted) but it'd be nice to have the option of switching it to record the whole lot in one go.
It's a file size
They lose one or two files, not a big issue in editing though!

Last edited:
I have a Canon 7D Mk II and it breaks video up in 15 min sections. So it's not just drone cameras that segment, just different time segments.

So as I understand it 4K smaller segments 1080P larger ones.

I think it is to do with the general computer operating system. Files are usually 3.7gb. All cameras have to work within the standard operating protocol.

Technology is out pacing our purchases. Funny

It's to do with the way the disk is formatted. The maximum file size on Fat32 disks (ie. most SD cards) is 4Gb. Any video larger than that has to be split into separate files.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval