Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Why Not To Fly Near Military Facilities

PatR

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Although the individual referenced in the article was most likely not conducting casual photographic opportunities the end result is demonstrative of why we should make it a point to remain well clear of military and other "sensitive" locations when flying our drones. Anyone detained after flying near such an installation with images deemed "sensitive" by any government agency could find themselves spending a lot of time and money defending their actions.

https://nypost.com/2019/02/07/chinese-student-gets-prison-time-for-taking-photos-of-us-navy-base/

I see no mention of a Drone/UAV being used in this article.

One was not used but an image is an image regardless of what or whom was carrying the camera. I think you’ll find no distinction would be made as a qualifier in an espionage case. A camera on a pole, in your hand, on your lapel, or on a drone will be treated the same. A drone might actually be viewed as more egregious due to scope of coverage.

But if you wish to put a distinction to test I’m certain many would be interested to see how things work out for you.

I was hoping people would be astute enough to see the parallels between types of cameras on their own...

Last edited:
As a Navy Veteran, I wouldn't even think about flying near any military instillation. Common Sense thing.

Reactions: HRife and PatR
See you can't just these guys. Lost, my foot, and only one year???
Hang him! I'll do it!

When I was in school in Tucson we were told to give a wide berth to the fenced off Titan missile silos. If you failed to do so you would usually get a visit from some very serious and well armed young Air Force Security folks!!

You have to pay close attention around here. There are military installations everywhere. There are even a bunch of civilian places that work and store military vehicles, boats, ships, etc.

Although the individual referenced in the article was most likely not conducting casual photographic opportunities the end result is demonstrative of why we should make it a point to remain well clear of military and other "sensitive" locations when flying our drones. Anyone detained after flying near such an installation with images deemed "sensitive" by any government agency could find themselves spending a lot of time and money defending their actions.

https://nypost.com/2019/02/07/chinese-student-gets-prison-time-for-taking-photos-of-us-navy-base/
any one knowingly fly's near or over a military facilities , police station , airport or a restricted area should not own or fly a drone , they are just asking for trouble and making us look bad .
fly safe

Civilian drones and military installations have been the subject of considerable FAA attention of late as well. The FAA has been adding them by name to the list of flight restricted areas.

If I want to see a military Airfield I use Google, there going to get better photos than me, and a Satellite view too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atas77my