Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

winter is coming to Minnesota soon!! woohoo

Reaction score
Ok, this will be my first winter with the Breeze. It typically gets to -30 to -50 degrees in Janurary. I could use some tips when it comes to flying over snow, while snowing, battery protection from cold etc.

thanks

Reactions: Regis Damiba
Ok, this will be my first winter with the Breeze. It typically gets to -30 to -50 degrees in Janurary. I could use some tips when it comes to flying over snow, while snowing, battery protection from cold etc.

thanks
I also live in Minnesota and here are a few tips. Flying over snow: main concern for me is too much brightness due to snow reflection, so I use ND filter on my Yuneec drones. Unfortunately I don't think the Breeze has one. Flying while snowing: I avoid doing that as the snow will melt in contact with hot motors and turn into water which could cause damages. Battery protection: I normally store them in metal case in the garage, but get them in the house hours before I go fly. Idea is to avoid starting a flight while they're still too cold. That drastically reduces flighttime. Also, I did notice my Q500 had a hard time holding Altitude when flying fast on a cold day (15 bellow). I actually crashed in a snow bank while having the drone in follow me mode while racing on frozen lake. Hope that helps. Happy winter flying!

Makes perfect sense, what about the optical flow sensors? I take it the all that snow can't be good unless you find a yellow spot...

Makes perfect sense, what about the optical flow sensors? I take it the all that snow can't be good unless you find a yellow spot...
Good point, I haven't flown the Breeze that much in the winter, so hard to tell. But I did notice in general the optical flow sensor seems to get confused depending what the floor looks like or is made of. I assume landing on the snow may cause trouble. I would recommend using a Drone landing pad. I got one from Amazon and it helps quite a bit when taking off or landing on difficult terrain.

Any time you take a battery out in the cold causes it to lose life. Ask any Photographer. Don't expect more then 5 minutes if the air is that cold.

30-50 below, Todd? Where are you, Warroad, International Falls, Embarrass?

[emoji41]

I grew up in the Twin Cities. Can’t recall getting to 50 below anywhere too often. Doubt anyone would even try flying in that cold to be concerned about it.

:)

If you are serious, get yourself an H. The specs say something like 14 or 20 degrees (F) as minimum, but I’ve been flying mine in the single digits.

Only a flight or two, mind you. What I notice is the gimbal stiffens (dampers) and maybe some struggles on another axis as the exposure time (to the elements) drags on.

As far as navigation and control, no issues. Just watch the battery levels. Keep them inside your snowmobile jacket until ready to use.

Good to see someone else looking forward to the time of year we can walk on water and take advantage of a much larger landing zone, if so inclined.

Stay warm and enjoy!

Jeff

30-50 below, Todd? Where are you, Warroad, International Falls, Embarrass?

[emoji41]

I grew up in the Twin Cities. Can’t recall getting to 50 below anywhere too often. Doubt anyone would even try flying in that cold to be concerned about it.

:)

If you are serious, get yourself an H. The specs say something like 14 or 20 degrees (F) as minimum, but I’ve been flying mine in the single digits.

Only a flight or two, mind you. What I notice is the gimbal stiffens (dampers) and maybe some struggles on another axis as the exposure time (to the elements) drags on.

As far as navigation and control, no issues. Just watch the battery levels. Keep them inside your snowmobile jacket until ready to use.

Good to see someone else looking forward to the time of year we can walk on water and take advantage of a much larger landing zone, if so inclined.

Stay warm and enjoy!

Jeff
You know how it is, 30 below feels the same as 50 below, but with no wind.
Last Feb. It was - 41 with a 5mph windchill. All I know is my ice house will be toasty warm. Chisago city, mn

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval