Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Wondering about cold weather flights?

Reaction score
I live in Canada and old man winter is on his way. Does anyone have any experience flying the Typhoon H in the winter? What will be the limit as far as how cold is too cold, -5 ,-10, -15? I asked another enthusiast and he said as long as you keep the battery in your coat pocket until takoff it should be alright but that was for UAV's in general and I'm not sure if I trust that advice enough.

I think that assessment of keeping the battery warm until you fly is accurate. Once you start flying the battery's temperature will increase.

Check out this video of a guy flying the H over a glacier in Iceland:

Reactions: EdgyTripp
I think that assessment of keeping the battery warm until you fly is accurate. Once you start flying the battery's temperature will increase.

Check out this video of a guy flying the H over a glacier in Iceland:

Thank you. That guy still looks pretty warm compared to the cold weather that I'm used to, I'm talking wearing gloves, winter parka, throwing water up in the air and it freezing before it hits the ground type cold so I'd like to know what the limitations are.

Like most drones, the Typhoon H will actually warm itself up in flight slightly... due to energy being expelled.

I've only flown it around the freezing temp, as seen in the video, but I'm sure one could fly it in much colder temps with zero problems.

As for the batteries. If you keep them warm (which I purposely didn't in the video) you not only gain an extra minute or two of flight time but you also ensure that the battery will not react negatively under load.

Reactions: MikeB
As temperature decreases, battery internal resistance increases. If it's cold enough you can eventually induce battery cell damage by using them in extreme cold. Where that point is I don't know but there are numerous battery web sites where you can research the subject. I have flown a Chroma in temps as low as +10F to +15F but the H wasn't released until May so there is likely few or nobody in the northern hemisphere that has flown in extremely cold weather that could report on battery performance. The electrical components inside the H will warm as they are used but a very large number of MilSpec and other high end electrical components are rated only to -10C to -20C. Since the H and other multirotors do not use any form of "industry standard" for component selection what the internal components can tolerate is a wild card at either end of the temperature scale.

So keep your batteries warm until you put them in flight and give it a go if your face and fingers can handle it. At +10F I was good for about 12 minutes before my fingers began to hurt from the cold. 12 minutes was two batteries due to the reduction in battery performance due to low temperature. Remember that plastics become more brittle when cold so avoid as much as possible impacts to the gimbal mount, camera and fuselage shells.

Last edited:
I talked to Yuneec tech support yesterday about this and he told me that 13F was the lowest I should go

I've flown a half-dozen times at temps as low as -3°F with room-temperature batteries. No problems (other than numb fingers).
However, I tried a flight this morning at 9° with a fully charged battery I left in my truck and got the low-voltage alarm the second I spun up the props.

Columbia Sportswear, Head, and I'm sure any number of other sport-clothing manufacturers make gloves designed for use with smart-phones, they'e got conductive patches on the forefinger and thumb tips. They're not super-warm, but they give you some time. Combined with hand-warmers, they work a treat.

pwr_sisters_aerial005.jpg

I live in Canada and old man winter is on his way. Does anyone have any experience flying the Typhoon H in the winter? What will be the limit as far as how cold is too cold, -5 ,-10, -15? I asked another enthusiast and he said as long as you keep the battery in your coat pocket until takoff it should be alright but that was for UAV's in general and I'm not sure if I trust that advice enough.

I was in Ottawa and then Quebec City Canada over the Christmas-New Year holidays where the temperature was around -10F. I flew my Typhoon H. After I turned the controller on, it continuously gave a buzzing sound. The instruments all looked normal, but the sound continued. I started the motors after getting GPS connections and then lifted off. The copter demonstrated a lag in responding and would not lift above 5 feet; it just hovered there even though I pushed the left lever forward. After about 45 seconds, it began to respond faster and more effectively. In about a minute and a half after liftoff, the copter was responding normally, although the controller continued to sound the buzzing noise. After about 6 minutes of flying, the controller began to sound off the low battery alarm and I used the RH button to bring back the copter. I took some video which is I think very good, considering the snow contrast and reflection issue. The friends we stayed with were very impressed with the bird and the video footage. Cudos to Yuneec.

Thank you. That guy still looks pretty warm compared to the cold weather that I'm used to, I'm talking wearing gloves, winter parka, throwing water up in the air and it freezing before it hits the ground type cold so I'd like to know what the limitations are.

I think the cold you are talking about is asking for trouble .
It may handle it but I think the battery will drain very quickly.
Don't ruin your drone or risk crashing it .20 to 30 degree weather is as low as I want to go .
Good luck.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drakemerch33